crimping rifle bullets

PDA

remmag
August 16, 2010, 08:46 PM
hey all
i am getting set up to load for my 7 mm rem mag browning bar auto
i have read in my manuals to crimp the bullets for an auto loader, i was hoping to use game king bullets,i have killed alot of deer with them and i know they perform well
question is as i look on sierra web site the show the bullets without a cannalure for crimping, how do i ensure that i get a bullet that has the cannalure , also does any one have load data for these, i will hopefullt\y use 160 grin bullets

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "crimping rifle bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Grumulkin
August 16, 2010, 10:27 PM
I've loaded for 308, 7.62X39, 30/06, 458 SOCOM and 223 autoloaders and didn't crimp for any of them. I doubt you'll need to for a 7mm Mag. If you decide to crimp, get a Lee Factory Crimp die as it will crimp even if the bullet doesn't have a cannelure.

steve4102
August 17, 2010, 09:22 AM
Yup, get a Lee Factory Crimp die. They work great, increased accuracy, secures the bullet and inexpensive.

dhfenno
August 17, 2010, 12:43 PM
I'm loading Sierra Pro Hunter (with no cannelure) rounds for my .308 autoloader and use the Lee factory crimp die.
I got away from rounds with a cannelure because so many of the 180gr bullets have a cannelure that is such that if I crimp on the cannelure my OAL goes far below the 2.80 OAL my gun likes.
The factory crimp die works with or without a cannelure on the bullet.

jleyring
August 17, 2010, 12:50 PM
Ive never crimped rifle brass and never had any problems. Pistol I always crimp.

remmag
August 17, 2010, 06:45 PM
i have a factory crimp die on order

thanks

qajaq59
August 18, 2010, 09:41 AM
I wish they would use a better term then crimp. That makes it sound like we should squeeze the mouth of the case deep into the bullet. I rarely crimp except for my tubular mags. But even when I do it's just a light kiss. Don't squeze them to death or it will move the rest of the neck, below the crimp, away from the bullet. And that wont help your accuracy a bit.

jwr_747
August 18, 2010, 09:57 PM
crimp usually not needed BUT,did some serious load testing for a Swiss K-31 and bullets crimped with the Lee FC die won the race over non-crimped..jwr

hey_poolboy
August 18, 2010, 10:48 PM
I'd load some up and see how they cycle through w/ and w/o crimps. If the un-crimped ones cycle through just fine I would stick with them. I have always experienced better accuracy w/o a crimp, but YMMV.

jhansman
August 19, 2010, 12:48 PM
FWIW, I only crimp for my AK, never for my bolt gun. I use Lee's FCD and it works wonderfully.

HOWARD J
August 19, 2010, 02:56 PM
Everytime I have used a Lee FCD on my 7.62 x 39 it leaves a
circular indent near the mouth of the case---is it supposed to do that???

rcmodel
August 19, 2010, 04:01 PM
Yes.
Thats the way they work.

It is a collet crimp done by the collet fingers squeezing a ring in the case mouth.

rc

TonyAngel
August 19, 2010, 04:05 PM
I crimp for my AR. I don't do it to prevent bullet movement. I never had a problem with that. I do it because it tightened up my groups. I load 77gr Sierra match kings without the cannelure and they work just fine using the Lee FCD.

HOWARD J
August 19, 2010, 04:17 PM
Wow !!!!
If I move the die a little each time--all I have to do to find out how many times
I reloaded the case ---is to count the rings---Boy that wunderbar......................
I think I will stick with my taper crimp die......................

TonyAngel
October 14, 2010, 03:24 PM
The ring disappears after firing, just like any other dents in the brass.

If you enjoyed reading about "crimping rifle bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!