my renewed love affair with the .30-30!

PDA

janobles14
August 17, 2010, 01:51 AM
so i bought some dies and bullets from youngda9 here on the forums for my marlin 336 (great guy btw!). i havent really loaded much for the .30-30 as it just sat around and got occasional use during deer drives and whatnot.

i usually tote my a-bolt .30-06 or 7mm rem mag (which is for sale btw! :evil:) , or if im feeling really froggy i let the .300 win mag come out and play. so i loaded up a few rounds for the old work horse marlin and wasnt really expecting too much. wow....34 grains of varget were drilling touching holes at 50 yds all day long with hornady 150 gr RNs (open sights btw). after 50 or so rounds my shoulder didnt complain much and i only stopped shooting because i ran out of ammo.

now i hunt in the think woods and hills of south tennessee where a 150 yard shot is almost unknown, and by the end of the day i was asking myself, "self, why dont you carry this little cupcake and do all the damage you need while not going deaf or having to reset a shoulder joint? you could actually WALK to where the deer are and not have to go to the chiropractor next week."

so to all of the whitetails reading this: BEWARE! daddy is coming out blazing with his high speed .30-30! he doesnt have to worry anymore about bumping a scope or hauling a friggin log of a weapon through the woods. now i know that you deer think that unless i have a belted magnum that you are safe as houses but all i can say is....wait and see! you are forewarned. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "my renewed love affair with the .30-30!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LRS_Ranger
August 17, 2010, 01:54 AM
I love my 30-30.. Everything that is perfect and nothing unnecessary..

wankerjake
August 17, 2010, 02:00 AM
Yeah, the 30-30 is a sweet cartridge. I shot my first deer with one, and I bought one a year ago and haven't killed anything with it. Two coyotes have been shot with it but not by me. I kinda want to shoot my cow elk with it this year. My dad has like 5 boxes of 170gr winchester ammo that has been laying around for at least 25 years, seems like I should find a use for some of it:cool:

joshk-k
August 17, 2010, 09:56 AM
I bring my .30-30 as a back-up/brush gun on my elk hunt. When I'm humping down into the canyons and brush of the Coast Range, it seems like a totally appropriate gun.

Josh

The Bushmaster
August 17, 2010, 10:56 AM
It's a hell of a note to find out that the .30-30 is rediscovered about every few years and that what you have been carrying (Winchester Mod 94 .30WCF) for the past 50 years is still KING...

grace2u
August 17, 2010, 11:23 PM
I've been tempted to take my 94 on my thanksgiving hunt this year.

countertop
August 17, 2010, 11:38 PM
Love my Marlin. Was actually just holding it and shouldering it in the basement not 10 minutes ago as I was taking the muzzie out to sight it in in the morning.

I've been using my Rem 700 in .280 Rem a lot the last few years, but I have a feeling that the little Marlin is gonna get to kill once more in the woods of N. Georgia over Christmas week.

ranger_ric
August 18, 2010, 12:41 AM
I got 2 things from my grandfather when he passed 25 years ago. a stuffed large mouth bass that my great great grandfather caught and his model 94. He had always taken my father waterfowling in the plains of nebraska but never deer hunting. When I was way young my Daddy took Grandpa out for his first deer hunt. Grandpa bought a gun just for Deer hunting, but after three times out with my dad he pretty much gave up on it. Said the thing kicked way harder than his 12 guage. First time Grandpa let me shoot it he had me put my back up against a big ole fence post. I thought the thing squeezed my shoulder off. They thought it was hilarious. I miss my grandpa but am warmed everytime I look at that old model 94. My kids always see me misty eyed when I handle it and want to hear the old stories again. I love the legacy of guns and hunting that have been a part of my family. GOD BLESS AMERICA

shaggy430
August 18, 2010, 09:12 PM
We've always been a bolt action family, but we just got a lease that is nothing but THICK pines. I came across a deal on a Winchester 94 30-30 that I just couldn't refuse. It's going to be my go to rifle this year.

janobles14
August 19, 2010, 12:12 AM
round 2 of the .30-30 rekindling occurred today. i lowered my rear sight and took care of the high shooting issues i was experiencing. at 75 yards i was able to pull off what i assume was about 1.5 inches for 5 shots! this is more than i need for the upcoming mass deer slaughter and i am as pleased as i can be! i got stormed out about noon so my target now looks like mush but i wanna do it again and post for all of those who are also newly (or "renewly") are loving their old workhorses again (and of course for those who never gave up on the in the first place.)!

chas08
August 19, 2010, 12:13 AM
My kids always see me misty eyed when I handle it and want to hear the old stories again. I love the legacy of guns and hunting that have been a part of my family. GOD BLESS AMERICA AMEN...I got a couple like that myself.

The Bushmaster
August 21, 2010, 11:08 AM
And you will find that you will love your .30-30 lever gun, Shaggy430. They are just fun to shoot and carry. They (at least the M94) are balanced perfect for hunting. light, fast and quick to shoulder.

swiftak
August 21, 2010, 04:53 PM
Its my favorite rifle and cartridge combo. Perfect for the north east woods. (model 94)

ColeK
August 21, 2010, 10:35 PM
A Marlin 336 30-30 is my favorite rifle and cartridge combo. Perfect for the southeastern woods.

quackslayer
August 22, 2010, 07:35 PM
Nothing wrong with owning several different rifles but as far as I am concerned, there is nothing that handles better than my marlin 30-30; the new ammo by hornady now makes a 30-30 deadly at 200 plus yards; I am a firm believer that a 30-30 will be all one needs to chase whitetail deer;

351 WINCHESTER
August 22, 2010, 08:36 PM
In my opinion the marlin 336 in .30-30 or .35 is the perfect deer rifle out to about 150 yds. or so. I've hunted with one for almost 40 years and I have yet to find a better rifle or ctg. I've been meaning to try the new hornady ammo, but really don't see the need.

The Bushmaster
August 23, 2010, 11:11 AM
There really isn't a need for the new Hornady bullet. The "improvement" is more hype then practical.

elorenzo
August 23, 2010, 11:21 AM
I live in colorado where there is alot of open country i have used my marlin in 30-30 to take deer and elk the furthest i have shot was 136 yards and that big bull elk only ran 25 yards before before piling into a heap i have taken most game with it at under 120 yards so it's not just a brush gun like some people want to make it i also have a 300 win mag a30-06 243,270, 7mm-08,and the mighty 338 win mag, and 35 whelen but my favorite is my good ole 30-30

long live the 30-30

swiftak
August 23, 2010, 12:46 PM
Great cartridge in what ever gun its chambered in. I find that most people that don't like it either have never owned one, never fired one or never shot an animal with one. You know, the experts.

Oceans
August 31, 2010, 01:17 PM
Here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland where you have a lot of pine thickets, where most shots in the woods are 50 yard affairs, the Win 94 is real handy. I have the Lyman peep and Williams fire site front. I don't fool with any sling in those briars, and shoot Winchester Power Point 150s, That's all it takes for Whitetail. Now I would not use the rifle to shoot the bean fields, but for the woods, the Win 94 is the King of the pine country.

janobles14
August 31, 2010, 06:46 PM
are the peep sights that good? i cant help but think it would be better than the buckhorns or marlin sights. i am going to keep mine unscoped but was thinking about a peeper

Oceans
August 31, 2010, 09:17 PM
I definitely think peeps are the way to go on the Win 94' Your range will most likely be within 150 yards, and the large rear aperture in combination with a fire glow site makes a great woods combo, picking up light very well. I unscrew the smaller one, and just sight through the threaded aperture, and the front centers automatically on whatever I aim it on. I go for lung shots on White tails. I don't care a thing for the Buckhorn sights, yes they work, but they are not as fast as the aperture, I would not scope a '94 unless I had some type of eye problem.

T.R.
September 3, 2010, 10:06 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/DSC01167.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/DSC01187.jpg

I like my 94 Legacy a whole lot partly because my Dad (1922 - 2004) gave it to me for my 40th B-day. Its been a great meat-maker for my family. This stag weighed approx 400 lbs but couldn't stand up to a couple good chest shots.

30-30 is a KEEPER!

TR

Hunterdad
September 4, 2010, 03:59 PM
I always read that the .30-30 wasn't adequate for deer sized game.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/adam11082/ImportedPhotos00206.jpg

swiftak
September 4, 2010, 04:34 PM
Hunterdad. Like I said before. More than adequate.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
September 4, 2010, 04:49 PM
I always read that the .30-30 wasn't adequate for deer sized game

Oh dear I hope you are joking there Hunterdad. More white tail, Mule deer, blacktail, Elk, Carabou, and even MOOSE has been taken with the 30/30 than any other calibre on the planet.

Nematocyst
September 4, 2010, 04:49 PM
Great to see this thread here. Add my name to the ranks that sing the praises of the .30-30.

Ianobles and all other .30-30 fans, I invite you to come join us in the 336 club where we spin many tales about (and deer tails with) .30-30. Yeah, it's a Marlin thread, but it's as much about the cartridge.

Y'all come. Just click on "levers" in my sig line and you'll be there.

Nem

The Bushmaster
September 5, 2010, 01:27 AM
I'm afraid they wouldn't like a Winchester fan...

Nematocyst
September 5, 2010, 01:36 AM
We have nothing at all against Winchester fans. We've often welcomed them to come discuss the differences and similarities in the rifles. It's all .30-30, and that's what counts.

It may be the 336 club, but all are welcome, whether they own a 336 or not.

Nem

esheato
September 5, 2010, 03:22 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/DSC01167.jpg

Put it this way....the 30-30 is so awesome, it shot the legs right off this stag.

:p

Hunterdad
September 8, 2010, 09:18 AM
Of course I'm kidding. I've just read countless threads on how deer have been shot with a .30-30 and have simply walked away. My Marlin is the first thing I grab when I'm in rifle country.

1911Tuner
September 8, 2010, 10:38 AM
More white tail, Mule deer, blacktail, Elk, Carabou, and even MOOSE has been taken with the 30/30 than any other calibre on the planet.

That distinction probably belongs to the .44-40/.44 WCF...but the old thutty-thutty sure ain't far behind.

I've been saying for years that the .30-30 doesn't get nearly the respect that it deserves, especially when mated to its perfect partner...a light, fast-handling lever-action carbine. Some things just seem to fall together and work on the first try. This is one of those.

qajaq59
September 8, 2010, 04:09 PM
Nahhhh, 30-30s can't kill anything......All those deer that have DRT in Maine over the last 100+ years just happened to die of a sudden heart attack when they saw the hunters!!!! :rolleyes:

Supertac45
September 8, 2010, 06:22 PM
It'll do the job. Savage 99 carbine in .30-.30 made in 1937.

336A
September 8, 2010, 07:05 PM
I don't know how anyone can not love the .30-30 and the lever action rifles that it is chambered for. I was given a Marlin 336CS when I turned 17 to deer hunt with. I then got caught up in magnumitus a year later and sold it to finance my purchase of a 7mm mag:rolleyes: Boy oh boy did I ever have a tough time working through the recoil of that thing. The more hunting and time I spent out in the woods the more I realized that I was really handicapping myself with that long barreled heavy bolt gun. Most of my hunting is done in broken terrain, hardwoods, and thick pine groves where shots seldom reach 200yd.

After putting this in perspective for my self I started thinking about what rifle and cartridge fit the following criteria.

1. what is accurate and yet has enough muscle to put down deer out to 200yards.?

2. Has moderate recoil and inexpensive yet readily available ammo?

3. Light quick to shoulder and fast handleing in the woods?

That is when it suddenly dawned on me that I needed another Marlin 30-30. It has not let me down once in the last 8 hunting seaons and is now my go to hunting rifle period. This rifle also led to my purchase of 2 other leverguns:)
The lever action and the 30-30 along with the other traditional cartridges puts the hunt back into hunting.

T.R.
September 8, 2010, 08:53 PM
Ever wonder a 30-30 bullet really does to chest organs? I suggest go to UTube and browse through 30-30 short video clips. In a few episodes, you can watch a pumpkin, cantaloupe, and watermelon destroyed by 30-30. This damage is replicated within the animal's chest whether deer, elk, moose, bear, etc.

Clearly, 30-30 is a keeper!

TR

This is my 1979 vintage Glenfield carbine by Marlin with Simmons 2.5X - 8X scope. Muley buck taken in western South Dakota on public land.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/Glenfieldroughcountrymuley.jpg

HGUNHNTR
September 8, 2010, 10:26 PM
I agree the old 30WCF is a great ol' round in the field, even if on paper it looks like a 25ACP on a self defense web forum.

The Bushmaster
September 9, 2010, 11:54 AM
HGUNHNTR...Are you saying that the venerable .30 WCF is inaccurate? Well damn!! I need to start all over in my reloading/gun (mancave) room.

Winchester Mod 94 manufactured in 1948-49. Three round spread at 100 yards...1 5/8" with "iron sights".

The cartridge...Winchester or Remington case. 32 grains of W-748. CCI-200 primer. 170 grain Speer hotcore Flatnose (HCFN). Muzzle velocity: 2050 fps (+/- a couple).

The lever guns are more accurate then most hunters.

B-LazyS
September 9, 2010, 05:58 PM
I shoot a Model 94 that Granddad bought used for $15.00 in 1937. In 70-odd years of hard service it has yet to misfire, and it will still shoot out the bottom of a Coca-Cola can at 100 yards if I do my part. It’s been a loyal and reliable friend to me for twenty years, and to my granddad for fifty before that. I can’t think of much else in my life that’s been as faithful as that old Winchester.

bgeddes
September 9, 2010, 08:34 PM
Hunterdad beat me to it.

All the gun rags and web-experts have bad mouthed the 30-30 for years. Lately I've heard everything from .270 and .30-06 to the 7mm calibers are no longer capable of a responsible deer harvest.

What are the deer now more ballistically hardened? They fail to fall to a wimpy .270, .308 or .30-30?

It must be true I read it on the internet: You have to use a .321 double super magnum improved caliber to get a flat high speed uber accurate kill shot on that whitetail 525 yards out.

I guess there would be nothing to write about nor much reason for everyone to go get that new rifle if the gun your great-grandfather bought used for $11.50 still takes deer in 90% of the North American hunting grounds.

Hurray for the .30-30 Lever guns, living history.

The Bushmaster
September 10, 2010, 11:14 AM
"I can't think of much else in my life that's been as faithful as that old Winchester."

Well said!!

steel shooter
September 11, 2010, 05:24 PM
Many years ago I traded my Marlin 336 for an Ithaca Deerslayer.Dumb mistake.I miss that Marlin.I do have a T/C Contender 14" in 30-30 that I shoot in I.H.M.S.A. silhouettes with a scope . I love shooting that gun.My best score so far is 38 out of 40 targets.That 40x40 still alludes me.I use a 165 gr cast bullet and shoot out to 200 meters and it probably shoots better than I can hold it.59 year old eyes and not enough practice doesn't help much

qajaq59
September 11, 2010, 07:46 PM
shoots better than I can hold it.59 year old eyes Just wait until you're 71. I can't see well enough with the peep sight on my Win 94 to get really good groups anymore. ( Although I'm still good enough to drop a hog.) But I just can't get myself to put an ugly scope on it either. However, I like shooting it anyway. Sometimes you just find a gun that is "Right for you." That's mine.

SleazyRider
September 11, 2010, 11:04 PM
I, too, have recently "rediscovered" by Winchester 94 30-30. When my eyes got old a few years back, I went to scoped bolt-action rifles as I could not bring myself around to mounting a side scope on my rifle. So a few days ago I sent for a set of Williams FP sights that mount in the two threaded holes on the left side of the receiver. Can't wait for the Big Brown Truck of Happiness to pull into my driveway in a few more days.

BTW, Ginder Mountain has 30-30 ammo on sale this week for $7.99 a box after rebates so I stocked up.

I'm still hankerin' for a 336, though, but with a walnut stock (336C?). Are these still being made?

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
September 11, 2010, 11:23 PM
Still on the Marlin site so I am assuming they are still in production as of now.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/centerfire/336C.asp

sleepyone
September 12, 2010, 04:35 AM
yes, the Marlin 336C is still being made. Mine got replaced with premium furniture after they had it for six months on a warranty repair. Now I am almost afraid to take it out of the safe! See for yourself. Sometimes it pays to be patient with warranty repairs!

SleazyRider
September 12, 2010, 05:08 PM
I've been looking for one for a while now, and the closest I could get was a 336W, which I believe has a maple stock (and scope), at Dick's; and a 336 stainless steel/walnut at Ginder Mountain. I would prefer to use a scope of my own choosing and I really like walnut, so I'm loathe to settle on something that isn't exactly what I want. May have to resort to buying one on GunBroker. Any opinions on the 336 stainless?

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
September 12, 2010, 07:07 PM
I personally like stainless because I hunt in foul weather a LOT and fully breaking down a stock and cleaning all the little hidden spots on a blued barrel is a pain in the rear. I was looking around and did find a couple of used 336c's in what looked in the pictures to be in pretty good shape but all my resources online are out of stock at the moment in the new ones. If you want shoot me a PM and Ill send you the links I found for a couple of used ones.

Edit note, I did find a dealer here in Illinois with some in stock. Price shown is $490.58 but I am sure they will add transfer fee's and such. This state sucks big time as far as bleeding us dry on tax's for our RIGHT to own and bear arms!

SleazyRider
September 12, 2010, 07:54 PM
PM sent.

I'm a traditional blued-and-walnut kind of guy (does that make me a geezer?), but I hear that stainless 336 calling me. :)

Nematocyst
September 12, 2010, 08:03 PM
...the closest I could get was a 336W, which I believe has a maple stock...SleazyRider, the wood on the A and W is birch. (I bought the A because it had birch, which although not as beautiful, is tougher wood by a small margin. It also makes me less concerned about wear and tear.)

(Added by edit: Thanks to Freedom Fighter for correcting my mistake
about the furniture on 336C. It is walnut, not maple.)

Sleepyone, that is fine looking furniture on your W.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
September 12, 2010, 08:25 PM
Nematocyst, the 336c has Black Walnut Furniture not maple

Nematocyst
September 12, 2010, 08:32 PM
You are absolutely right, Freedom Fighter. I stand corrected.
(I've corrected my previous post to avoid spreading misinformation. I credited you for correcting me.)

I knew that. Blame it on missing lunch. :uhoh:

336A
September 14, 2010, 11:04 PM
The ol' 30WCF is still doing the job up north on moose and bears too, by bears I mean grizzly. Read the entire thread and posts by the OP, you can tell from reading he has shot more than one. Page three gives some specifics of the shot on the bear.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,71302.0.html

millertyme
September 14, 2010, 11:24 PM
I tried to weasel my dad's 336 away from him when I moved from AZ to KS but he insisted I take the old Remington 721 .30-06. I tried to reason with him that I didn't plan on taking any shots outside of 100yds but he still wouldn't let me take it. I'll take what I can get and I'm happy with the 721, but I would have really liked to get that 30-30 from him.

stonecoldy
September 14, 2010, 11:55 PM
I've just started handloading for this great rifle this year after my older brother practically gave me his 336 30-30 bought in 1980-he hardly ever shot it (probably less than 100 rounds in all these years). I liked it so much a purchase of a new .35 Remington 336C quickly followed. Of course I found a nice used .35 Remington three weeks later, didn't buy but should have. The 336's are fun to shoot, my son has shot the 30-30 more than me, but at least we each have a 336 to shoot together.
Hoping to take the .35 to Wisconsin for deer season this year.

If you enjoyed reading about "my renewed love affair with the .30-30!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!