Talk me out of this purchase...

PDA

migkillertwo
August 17, 2010, 06:31 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Sniper-3-9X42-Adaptor-Package/dp/B0030H59PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1282084128&sr=8-1

Alright, so far I've learned a few things about this from reviews and by talking to fellow shooters who own this particular scope

1: It doesn't break under the recoil of the 5.56, and
2: The quick-detach mount returns to zero after being detached and reattached to the rifle.

I've been wanting a red-dot+scope combo since before I got my first AR, but I really do not want to spend 1200$ on the acog, nor 600$ on an eotech+flip-to-side magnifier.

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk me out of this purchase..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rduckwor
August 17, 2010, 06:51 PM
NC Star is the Taurus of optics.

They either work or they don't and there is no way to tell until you put you money down.

You can do better. Look at Bushnell for a less expensive red dot.

RMD

cougar1717
August 17, 2010, 07:10 PM
I wonder if there is a reason that the optics you've compared this to cost more than $160? :rolleyes:

gun guy
August 17, 2010, 07:21 PM
Do you plan to use it at work, ie will it make you money? Or is it just to satisy your ego? Do you drive a vette, and have money to burn? Or will you have to push back a water bill and eat beans for a week? Is this your first journey into cool world? Or will it end up with the rest of the firepower guns in a week, taking up space in the safe? These are all important questions, before you drop a couple C notes on more toys. Have a great day.

kis2
August 17, 2010, 07:21 PM
seems kinda mall ninja to me. i mean, depends on what you want your rifle to look like obviously, but this doesnt seem very classy to me.

i agree with the above of saving up money for the nicer ones and definately take a peek at bushnell. it's been my experience with optics you get what you pay for.

Welding Rod
August 17, 2010, 07:34 PM
Won't buying that enrich a nuclear armed Communist country?

Jaybird78
August 17, 2010, 07:36 PM
save your pennies and buy a higher tier scope...IMHO

AR27
August 17, 2010, 07:41 PM
Dont do it! Ncstar is junk optics

Flatbush Harry
August 17, 2010, 07:56 PM
In this life, and especially with optics, you get what you pay for.

FH

jimmy0622
August 17, 2010, 08:01 PM
C'mon -- it has "tactical" and "sniper" all in the same product description! it has to be great! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, optics / sights are the only interface you have between yourself and your target, it's best to get a quality product -- which you will be hard pressed to find in the $100-200 price range.

Sebastian the Ibis
August 17, 2010, 08:20 PM
I bought an NCStar rail once upon a time. It never came close to fitting. I wouldn't trust their optics on anything other than a paintball gun .

If you want something in that price range look at a Vortex StrikeFire http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XVOSFRDAR15

I have had Vortex bino's which were great, and Aimsurplus doesn't usually sell junk. I can't say much more about it, than that..... other than it isn't NCstar.

Hatterasguy
August 17, 2010, 08:22 PM
Save up some more money for a real optic.

Sky
August 17, 2010, 09:21 PM
Think Opticsplanet has that cheaper. I have a Vortec red dot and it works. Have had 2 Ncstar products (3-9x42Mark lll with laser) which are both at the factory being repaired after approx 300 rounds of 223 through flat top ARs. I do not mind buying cheap if it works and you have certainly done the right thing by asking your fellow members. I have to agree with most opinions about the Ncstar stuff; I would pass. Their company and tec support is above reproach and I imagine given time due to their new manufacturing facility their products will improve. I remember Japan coming over taking pictures of American products while Americans laughed at their poor quality. Not no more!
Chinese are hard working and very very very well educated they will get it together in the near future and when they do, "Houston we got a problem"!

LRS_Ranger
August 17, 2010, 09:25 PM
How much did the rifle you are putting it on cost? A wise man once said spend as much on the optic as you do on the rifle...

oneounceload
August 17, 2010, 09:40 PM
The fact that it has "tactical" and "sniper" in the name/description would make me run the other way; but it's YOUR money............

porterdog
August 17, 2010, 10:31 PM
From the ad copy: "NcSTAR Ultimate Sighting System for universal tactical ops! Dependable sighting for everything from close-quarter battles to long-distance "hits"! What a combination of pure sighting sizzle by famous NcSTAR! "

Wanna trust your life to that?

Buzzard
August 17, 2010, 10:57 PM
Talk you out of it? Okay.

You want to buy a Chinese-made junk optic that can barely hold zero from a company that sells books and movies? You may as well buy a '74 Yugo two-door from Somalia through Ebay.

MidwayUSA - Midsouth Shooters Supply - Graf n Son's - Natchez Shooter's Supply

All of the above have much higher quality items for sale. I'd save my nickels and buy the Eotech in stages (reflex sight first, then the magnifier). At least I'd end up with something people swear by instead of at.

HGUNHNTR
August 17, 2010, 11:03 PM
Having the words "tactical" and "sniper" on it would be enough for me to run away.

Sheesh oneounce load we were on the same page :)

rozziboy18
August 18, 2010, 02:22 AM
had one, its not the taurus of optics, it the hi-point

tkopp
August 18, 2010, 04:33 AM
More like the Jennings. High-points tend to work ;)

madcratebuilder
August 18, 2010, 07:32 AM
Used ones on evil bay for $20.

TonyAngel
August 18, 2010, 10:02 AM
If you have iron sights on your rifle, you're better off with those than the NcStar.

Justin
August 18, 2010, 11:19 AM
Reasons not to buy it:

NC Star makes shoddy products.
An ACOG, though more expensive, is more robustly built.
ACOG has better glass.
Made in the US, so you're more likely to get good customer service.
Mounting a dot scope on top of a magnified scope is about the worst way to go about doing the multiple optics thing.
If you want to go that route, do it right. Get an offset mount that puts the dot as close to the receiver as possible, this will make aiming much more natural.

Bottom line:

When it comes to optics, decent quality costs decent money. In the realm of AR scopes, it's completely normal for the scope to cost about the same as the rifle. Buy quality once and call it good.

Sebastian the Ibis
August 18, 2010, 06:37 PM
If you are going to shoot at it, it would work fine in that role. However, $160 seems kinda steep for a reactive target. I would recommend finding an old toaster or something in your basement.

iamhistory
August 18, 2010, 06:38 PM
Don't waste your money, it's a piece of crap.

desidog
August 18, 2010, 07:15 PM
It's been said, so i'll be brief:

NCstar: POS, IMHO.

You'd do better donating that money to a good charity, and then buying a respected brand. Or, you could buy it, confirm it's status, relegate it to the back of the closet, and then buy a quality optic. (I know, cause that's what i did!)

Victor1Echo
August 19, 2010, 09:25 AM
Strikefire/ force- cannot remember the name. Check those out. But that thing is targeted toword the 13 year old in us, and remeber how dissipointed/frustrated you felt at that age? That scope is sure to bring it all back. You might do okay with NcStar product, but two together--good luck.

ForumSurfer
August 19, 2010, 10:03 AM
Save your money. I bought a used eotech 552 (NV Compatible) for $100. The aluminum hood was a little dinged up, but it works great. If I was that worried about looks, I could buy a rubber cover or replacement hood cheap (new). A well used eotech will outlast that ncstar stuff.

Shop around and haunt your friendly neighborhood pawn & gun shops weekly. Check these and other forums' trading posts once or twice a week. The same with magnifiers...you might even get lucky and find a po boy special someone is trying to get rid of. Sooner or later you'll find something.

aka108
August 19, 2010, 10:10 AM
Depends upon you finances. If you can spend it and not miss it OK. If it means you won't be able to buy heartworm med for your dog, don't spend it. Acquaintance of mine is spending 18,000 on a 22rf benchrest rifle. Should he do it or not? In his case, just fine. He's retired and made that much early last week. In most of our cases, we'd be fighting the dog for a bowl of chow if we did that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk me out of this purchase..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!