Naughty, Naughty Uncle Ted!

PDA

waffentomas
August 18, 2010, 12:50 AM
MARYSVILLE, Calif. – Rocker and celebrity hunter Ted Nugent will have to pay a $1,750 fine after pleading no contest in California to baiting a deer and not having a properly signed hunting tag.
California Department of Fish and Game spokesman Patrick Foy says game wardens saw Nugent kill an immature buck on a February episode of his Outdoor Channel TV show "Spirit of the Wild."
Investigators found that the deer had been eating bait called "C'mere Deer." Baiting wildlife is illegal in California.
Nugent originally faced 11 charges, including killing a deer too young to be hunted. In a deal with Yuba County prosecutors, Nugent's attorney on Friday entered no contest pleas to the two misdemeanors.
Nugent did not appear in court. A spokeswoman for the musician did not immediately return messages late Tuesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100818/ap_en_ot/us_people_ted_nugent;_ylt=AqB.EAXaums6akGn77oWoupv24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTM5ZWprZXUxBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwODE4L3VzX3Blb3BsZV90ZWRfbnVnZW50BGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA3RlZG51Z2VudHBsZQ--

If you enjoyed reading about "Naughty, Naughty Uncle Ted!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FLAvalanche
August 18, 2010, 01:26 PM
Like he said, "I will follow the law until it's just plain stupid.".

He had Game Wardens watching him, he had it on film, he aired it on TV. He's not stupid, he did it for a reason.

He's a big proponent for changing no baiting laws and for culling young, undersized deer to bring forward better genetics and larger deer. You can't buy better exposure than this. I can bet this won't be the last we've heard on this.

He had a whole show based on culling young doe and buck because undersized deer breed undersized deer and he's voiced his opinion on no baiting laws being just plain stupid.

*Just saw that Uncle Ted is scheduled to be on Lopez Tonight. Coincidence? I think not.

627PCFan
August 18, 2010, 04:11 PM
Can someone clarify "A deer too young to be hunted"?

Bovice
August 18, 2010, 04:25 PM
Can someone clarify "A deer too young to be hunted"?

If a deer hasn't reached maturity and hasn't been able to reproduce, you're killing off not only that deer but any young it may have created, and any young those young could have created, and so on and so forth. If you start killing all the young ones and old ones alike, you can push them to extinction. Remember what happened to the buffalo?

because undersized deer breed undersized deer and he's voiced his opinion on no baiting laws being just plain stupid.

I haven't always been 265 pounds, 6'2". I was born at only 8 pounds. Are "large" deer born that way? NO.

idiot.

KodiakBeer
August 18, 2010, 04:29 PM
I have no gripes with anyone doing it, but baiting deer to shoot from a stand isn't "hunting". I wish there was another term to separate that from actual hunting.

Joe Demko
August 18, 2010, 04:34 PM
He's no uncle of mine.

jimmyraythomason
August 18, 2010, 04:36 PM
If you start killing all the young ones and old ones alike, you can push them to extinction. Just about every deer hunter I know in Alabama kills the first legal deer that comes into range. In spite of that we have one of the largest (and healthiest)deer herds in the country.

FLAvalanche
August 18, 2010, 04:47 PM
The deer was a spike buck which is illegal to kill in California from what one news site said.

I haven't always been 265 pounds, 6'2". I was born at only 8 pounds. Are "large" deer born that way? NO.

idiot.

You're making the same incorrect assumption California is, that a deers antler point count is a direct relation to it's age.

And I can go on about how small animals, people included will produce small offspring and genetics but I can already tell that time will be wasted on you.

I have no gripes with anyone doing it, but baiting deer to shoot from a stand isn't "hunting". I wish there was another term to separate that from actual hunting.

Hunting is the taking of game. Doesn't matter how you do it. You can't do it without taking advantage of your preys weakness one way or another. Be it food, water, shelter, sex or it's need to group you're using one of them against the animal.

It's no different than using decoys on ducks and turkey or waiting for deer to enter an apple orchard or corn field or coating your feet with doe in heat urine and making mock scrapes.

It's all the same.

ThePunisher'sArmory
August 18, 2010, 04:54 PM
Yet another reason I don't deer hunt. Old Ted is quite right though. Most hunting laws are stupid. Bovice.......How can you even make the compairison of the buffalo with deer? The "white man" is not going out skinning hundreds of thousnds of buffalo a day and leaving the meat to rot. So don't call others here idiots sir.

KodiakBeer
August 18, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hunt, verb: to search for animals to capture or kill them; to seek; to try to find

In the UK, the term is used quite differently. When you shoot ducks or driven pheasants it's called "shooting". When you shoot deer from a stand it may be called "culling" or shooting.
It's only when you go out and spot and stalk game that it's "hunting".

I don't have any issue with shooting deer from a stand, baited or not, but it's not really hunting, it's just harvesting meat.

chas08
August 18, 2010, 05:01 PM
but baiting deer to shoot from a stand isn't "hunting". I wish there was another term to separate that from actual hunting. So..I guess by your definition...Fishing with "Live Bait" ain't fishing.

It's no different than using decoys on ducks and turkey or waiting for deer to enter an apple orchard or corn field or coating your feet with doe in heat urine and making mock scrapes.

It's all the same. AMEN!!!!

ThePunisher'sArmory
August 18, 2010, 05:03 PM
I love the name of that bait, "Come Eer Deer".

KodiakBeer
August 18, 2010, 05:16 PM
So..I guess by your definition...Fishing with "Live Bait" ain't fishing.

No, by my definition it wouldn't be hunting.

FLAvalanche
August 18, 2010, 05:20 PM
So..I guess by your definition...Fishing with "Live Bait" ain't fishing.

There's a lot of kayak fisherman in this area who would agree with that statement.

chas08
August 18, 2010, 05:26 PM
No, by my definition it wouldn't be hunting. ROFLMAO....You guys crack me up..:D:D:D

hardluk1
August 18, 2010, 05:45 PM
Anything 3" and longer is legal there to hunt and it is not cut and dried what is a young deer with out checking the teeth. You do hope you learn what a young deer looks like but in the land of black tails and muley's. And it is the most screwed up state in our country. they need the money.

~z
August 18, 2010, 06:18 PM
Anything 3" and longer is legal there to hunt

Well then...naaaa, I'll keep this High Road. Stop throwing 'tater balls', I just wanna hit em!
~z

Warhawk83
August 18, 2010, 06:43 PM
I love the name of that bait, "Come Eer Deer".

C'mere Deer is made right down from my house. :)

Baiting not being legal is ridiculous,we are talking about California though.

Hunting is hunting, sitting in a tree stand for hours on end, freezing your man bits off waiting on a deer IS hunting.
If you refer to a WMA manual it is most likely referred to as "Still Hunting" and it's the ONLY type of deer hunting allowed in Louisiana WMA's. :P

Double Naught Spy
August 18, 2010, 06:54 PM
He had Game Wardens watching him, he had it on film, he aired it on TV. He's not stupid, he did it for a reason.

So he could get convicted?

idiot.

He may not be stupid, but he sure as heck isn't psychic. If he culled the underaged deer because he thought it was too small, then either he made a stupid mistake in identification in the field and thought it was an adult or made a stupid mistake of determining adult size at a point when it could not be determined.

He's no uncle of mine.
+1

Delmar
August 18, 2010, 07:18 PM
Maybe it was an honest mistake, and maybe my thoughts are a bit unfair, but to me, Ted should be doing more to ensure that he does not bring any negative attention to the rest of us hunters.
Because anything a public figure does will certainly hit the press pages, I think they should be setting the example, and this is not a good one.

chas08
August 18, 2010, 07:34 PM
Because anything a public figure does will certainly hit the press pages, I think they should be setting the example, and this is not a good one. Good post... Nothing good can come of purposely breaking game laws to make a point. Negative press is all thats going to come from it for us poor Stand sitting, Bait watching, Deer killers. :D

happycamper374
August 18, 2010, 07:35 PM
On the topic of baiting deer, in MI we have problems with bovine TB. They've outlawed baiting deer because they thought that deer congregating at bait piles would be pose a disease transmission risk. So, at least in MI, from what I understand, it's not anti-hunting sentiment that's driving the no baiting regulations, but a decision based on the conservation of the herd.
Also, I am sympathetic to the idea that deer would just as readily eat together at an orchard or clover field, but I think that this situation would have the deer more spread out. I've seen plenty of bait piles that are literally just piles of corn or sugar beets and the deer are bunched in like cattle at a feed trough. I can easily see TB being spread quicker in these types of situations.

In NC, it's illegal to bait deer with food but you can use mineral licks to draw them in. The reasoning behind that, I'm unclear on. That seems more of an unnecessary legislative overreach than what's happening in MI.

I don't live in MI anymore but last time I was up I did see petitions to end the ban on baiting. I don't know what the public sentiment is or the hunting communities take on it.

Edit: Chronic Wasting Disease is also a problem.

happycamper374
August 18, 2010, 07:46 PM
Here's a write-up by the Wisconsin DNR on why temporary bait bans are a good tool to stop CWD.

http://www.cwd-info.org/pdf/FeedingDeer.pdf

In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't read it in its entirety. I read some and skimmed some.

Also, take note that I'm not saying every state should ban baiting. I'm just saying that there are instances when baiting should be banned, at least for a while.

FLAvalanche
August 18, 2010, 08:15 PM
Nothing good can come of purposely breaking game laws to make a point. Negative press is all thats going to come from it for us poor Stand sitting, Bait watching, Deer killers.

Not necessarily.

Negative press is still press. It's all in how you spin it and he's got the money, gumption and support to spin it right.

Look at the arguement it's caused in this thread. A couple of people have already pointed out that no-bait laws are stupid.

Ted may go about things the wrong way, he may be brash, outspoken and loud and he may rub even those who agree with him the wrong way but he never fails to get his point across and he never fails to get the attention of the people who need to change these laws.

Because anything a public figure does will certainly hit the press pages, I think they should be setting the example, and this is not a good one.

The media only cares about the BAD things public figures do. I don't see write ups in any news outlets about the entire show Ted did on the handicapped girl who he bought an offroad wheelchair, hunting blind and rifle with a LCD display hooked into the scope and a joystick so this girl can enjoy hunting.

In fact, I don't see any media coverage for any of the copious work he does for handicap hunters. I haven't seen anything about him and his wife opening their house to the wives of dead soldiers for a big dinner to show their appreciation. I haven't seen anything about the things he's done to help wounded soldiers, mostly amputees, get back into hunting.

chas08
August 18, 2010, 10:55 PM
Ted may go about things the wrong way, he may be brash, outspoken and loud and he may rub even those who agree with him the wrong way but he never fails to get his point across and he never fails to get the attention of the people who need to change these laws. I guess thats another way to look at it, not my way, but a way... All it says to me is; that those with money and celebrity can do what they want. But we all knew that already.

v8stang289
August 18, 2010, 10:59 PM
HappyCamper374, Its not illegal to bait deer in NC. It is illegal to bait Turkey, Bear, and Boar(in the counties where boar are considered game animals and not feral pig), but it is prefectly legal to bait deer.

Double Naught Spy
August 19, 2010, 12:05 AM
I found this interesting. Apparently Ted Nugest was hunting in California without having actually familiarized himself with the state's game laws.

Nugent wrote on his website that he was to blame for the California game laws being broken. He claims that he should have been better informed of the states laws.
http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_212318284.shtml

Jefferson Herb
August 19, 2010, 12:42 AM
Baiting is illeagle,but using dogs during rifle season is'nt.One dog per hunter,which is why the little terrier is so popular in the state of Kali.Using dogs for bear is legal while oregon and washington have banned the use of dogs.
Depending on where you grew up and how it's accepted is regional and can be argued by all if we choose to.
Just remember,if we argue and fight among ourselves,the do gooders like it;and we willl wake up to find we all lost.
From what I've baiting for Bears is a lot of hard work,and may not result in a kill.I'd rather just go to an old homestead and watch the apple trees.
Deer hunting is an expensive venture here,aka blacktail.Every trophy hunter wants a 4x4,which takes from the herd.Kill the odd antlered bucks,their the ones with bad genes.
There are pvt ranches that get big money for trophys,interestingly enough,most don't allow bow hunters.

Bovice
August 19, 2010, 09:12 AM
You're making the same incorrect assumption California is, that a deers antler point count is a direct relation to it's age.

And I can go on about how small animals, people included will produce small offspring and genetics but I can already tell that time will be wasted on you.

Ok... So here's another question for you then. If you're not going by the deer's antlers to gauge how old it is, then how are you? How do you know the deer isn't full grown? How do you verify that it IS grown to its maximum size? It could be a small deer, by genetics. It could also be young and not grown as large as it will be in the future.

I understand perfectly well that small animals generally have equally small offspring. But just because Mr. Miyagi is only 5 feet tall, and a kid in the U.S. is 5 feet tall does NOT MAKE THEM THE SAME AGE. That kid could very well grow to be 6+.

ultradoc
August 19, 2010, 09:18 AM
go ted go!!

Tim the student
August 19, 2010, 10:02 AM
From www.tednugent.com:
To my Fellow Outdoorsmen.... You may have read the news that I pled no contest to two misdemeanor game violations. I should have been better informed, more aware and I take full responsibility. The honorable hunting lifestyle is my deepest passion.
-Ted Nugent

It doesn't look like he was trying to be particularly honorable at all. He chose to be irresponsible, and he succeeded quite well.

He ain't no uncle of mine either.

hardluk1
August 19, 2010, 10:21 AM
Happycramper374 It is VERY legal to hunt deer over bait in NC. Re read your rules and regs. Not hogs or birds but deer is legal.
And to all others , If you have not shot a deer that turned out to be to small or young or the wrong sex you are a newbe to hunting or just have not spent enought years doing it. There is No one that hunts that has not misjudged a deer at sometime in there hunting years.

Vlad357
August 19, 2010, 12:26 PM
Motor City Badman?

I don't think so, but he should be more careful for all of us hunter's sake.

mec
August 19, 2010, 02:37 PM
Most hunting laws are stupid
Maybe not. It's just that there are so MANY of them. In a lot of areas the hunters outnumber the game and the hunting rules and regulations come close to outnumbering both. In Texas, it's perfectly legal to shoot deer from heated stands over bait inside a high-fence pasture though somtimes you have to measure the horn spread before shooting to make sure the horns stick out farther than the ears. Its a highly regulated, complex and crowded activity but more power to anybody who enjoys doing it.

rodensouth
August 19, 2010, 04:29 PM
I don't care what you call me if I can take my meat home!

Not a hunter? Whatever, I guess I'm a shooter.

So the trophy "hunters" who would give meat away, and couldn't butcher their own kill
if they wanted are somehow more deserving of the title?

Shooter/eaters are the purists, I'll happily reside in that camp.

Ted should have known the regs for sure.

happycamper374
August 19, 2010, 04:31 PM
V8stang and Hardluk, I dragged out my regs book. You guys are right. I guess I must have gotten confused. Thanks for clearing me up on that one.

Tim the student
August 19, 2010, 04:33 PM

Exactly. Especially on a hunting show.

jimmyraythomason
August 19, 2010, 04:49 PM

Exactly. Especially on a hunting show. Didn't something similar happen to Noel Feather?

Flintknapper
August 19, 2010, 04:50 PM
Bovice wrote:

Ok... So here's another question for you then. If you're not going by the deer's antlers to gauge how old it is, then how are you? How do you know the deer isn't full grown? How do you verify that it IS grown to its maximum size?

Antler size is the least reliable way to judge the age/maturity of a deer (besides not being applicable to Doe’s).

Please…..Sir, read the following…before embarrassing yourself further.

http://www.1atexasdeerhunting.com/bodyagingdeer.htm

http://www.keithwarren.net/stories/111603.htm

Or just google: Judging deer by body structure.

ridgerunnr
August 19, 2010, 05:27 PM
no surprise he did it...his "wild buffalo" hunt was a joke too..I am friends with people he was on that hunt with...i wont give particulars but i now refuse to watch his shows etc...

jimmyraythomason
August 19, 2010, 05:29 PM
am friends with people he was on that hunt with.. That makes it hearsay. i wont give particulars so that tells us nothing.

Jefferson Herb
August 20, 2010, 12:16 AM
Blacktail Deer:If there is white on the muzzle,tough old meat.I'd rather shoot a 1x2 or any legal young deer than something not worth cutting up.
I had the chance to hunt Whitetail in Wisconson in the early 80's.The locals said "Anyone can shoot a monster rack,but it takes a hunter to kill one with a 3-5in antler.[Legal deer-3in antler or larger ie 3in by 1 1/4 in dia since the buck broke all his tines off fighting] Did I get one? nope. This mountain boy had to use a compas in all that flat land,and still got turned around.

Bovice
August 20, 2010, 12:46 AM
Please…..Sir, read the following…before embarrassing yourself further.

Not embarassed. The toolbag that replied to me earlier didn't justify himself. Thanks for looking out for me though!

millertyme
August 20, 2010, 01:21 AM
Also, the killing off of the American Bison was a means to subdue the indigenous population that relied upon it for food. It wasn't just for the skin and it wasn't incidental.

6-gunfun
August 20, 2010, 01:38 AM
something you people have to remember about these baiting laws wen you say "baiting deer to shoot from a stand isn't "hunting" you have to remeber these people that own maybe 5 acres of land and thats all they can hunt if that land is in the middle of no wer or dosnt have any reason other than the bait to have deer on it than what is 1 gallon of bait going to hurt to try and draw a few deer in so you can have something to fill the freezer? im totaly against people dumping truckloads of bait and hunting over it but honestly what is one gallon goin to hurt just to fill a freezer?

coloradokevin
August 20, 2010, 02:46 AM
Hunting is the taking of game. Doesn't matter how you do it. You can't do it without taking advantage of your preys weakness one way or another. Be it food, water, shelter, sex or it's need to group you're using one of them against the animal.

It's all the same.

Thanks for posting that, as I think you may have just swayed my opinion on a subject I had been on the fence about.

Honestly, I wasn't ever really sure how I felt about baiting deer with food, and I've never owned/hunted a piece of property where that was really possible. In some ways I always sort of thought of it like cheating, though I've accepted that everyone had a different definition of a "fair hunt".

But, I have to admit that you make a very solid argument to support hunting with bait. In the past I've used doe urine, calls, and antlers during deer hunts. These devices/techniques were also designed to bait deer, just for a slightly different reason than food.

In the end I don't think that I can say that any single technique we've mentioned here is more/less fair to the deer. As you said, hunting is simply the taking of game. It is never truly "fair" from the deer's perspective, as none of us ever enter the woods with an assumption that the deer might kill us if we screw up... we enter the woods knowing that we'll be able to eat the deer so long as we outsmart him/her (this is a predator-prey relationship, not a contest among predators).

As far as the shooting of an "undersized" deer is concerned, I won't pretend to know all of the facts as it pertains to CA law. But, I will say that I am not opposed to the idea of hunting non-trophy class animals. When a pack of wolves or a mountain lion culls a deer from the herd, they typically don't go after the strongest member of the herd. Instead, nature chooses the weak members for food, and eliminates these weaker genes from the reproductive pool. The stronger deer/elk is thereby afforded a greater opportunity to reproduce, and is less likely to be preyed upon by its natural enemies.

Humans aren't nearly as efficient in this capacity, as we often gravitate toward hunts where we think we'll bag a trophy-sized animal. In reality, I don't think this works as well for the ecosystem as the approach that other natural predators take. I'm not trying to criticize anyone who chooses to hunt for the BIG bucks/bulls, but I am in agreement with anyone's decision to hunt less dramatic big game specimins. Personally, I've always hunted for the meat myself, so this has been a non-issue for me... As far as a deer/elk is concerned, I'll shoot it if it is edible, and legal!

rodensouth
August 20, 2010, 09:48 AM
Very well said coloradokevin!

Ozarkian
August 20, 2010, 10:14 AM
I think a better term would be "harvesting!"

jimmyraythomason
August 20, 2010, 10:24 AM
I think a better term would be "harvesting!" That's what the Alabama Department of Conservation calls it.

FLAvalanche
August 20, 2010, 10:35 AM
I've accepted that everyone had a different definition of a "fair hunt".

I've always believed that unless you drop from a tree, naked, holding a knife between your teeth, onto the back of your prey, you don't have a right to tell me how I should or shouldn't hunt.

When a pack of wolves or a mountain lion culls a deer from the herd, they typically don't go after the strongest member of the herd. Instead, nature chooses the weak members for food, and eliminates these weaker genes from the reproductive pool.

This is something every hunter needs to keep in the back of his mind. We need to stop showing all of these hunting shows with guys out looking for big trophy bucks because then everyone else is out there trying to do just that. You can't eat antlers and you're targetting the prime breeders with the strongest genetics.

desidog
August 20, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hunt, verb: to search for animals to capture or kill them; to seek; to try to find

In the UK, the term is used quite differently. When you shoot ducks or driven pheasants it's called "shooting". When you shoot deer from a stand it may be called "culling" or shooting.
It's only when you go out and spot and stalk game that it's "hunting".

I don't have any issue with shooting deer from a stand, baited or not, but it's not really hunting, it's just harvesting meat.

+1 There is a fundamental difference to these pursuits that the US commercial market and TV shows really choose to ignore. Similarly, I think that "hunting" in enclosures for captive animals is not the sporting event that hunting non-fenced areas with free-ranging game is, whatever the acreage, just based on the high fence.

But, I will say that I am not opposed to the idea of hunting non-trophy class animals. When a pack of wolves or a mountain lion culls a deer from the herd, they typically don't go after the strongest member of the herd. Instead, nature chooses the weak members for food, and eliminates these weaker genes from the reproductive pool. The stronger deer/elk is thereby afforded a greater opportunity to reproduce, and is less likely to be preyed upon by its natural enemies.

Well reasoned and well written.

Personally, I believe that bait might get the quarry to stay in your kill zone a bit longer, but mutant-antlered abnormalities won't just start materializing behind the stand like some bait commercials would have you believe. Setting up overlooking a feeder is like setting up overlooking a waterhole, how it got there is somewhat immaterial.

For someone who aspires to be a mouthpiece for hunting advocacy, Ted Nugent really royally shot himself and his cause in the foot. Since this type of article is likely to draw in many more readers of many more mindsets than a strictly pro-hunting article including Ted, this incident has probably hurt his cause much more than all the good stuff he's done to date has helped. That's a tough one to quantify though. Still, incredibly irresponsible and lazy of him (or his producers!) not to check the regs.

FLAvalanche
August 20, 2010, 10:45 AM
Similarly, I think that "hunting" in enclosures for captive animals is not the sporting event that hunting non-fenced areas with free-ranging game is, whatever the acreage, just based on the high fence.

I agree, but it too has it's place.

I'd love to shoot an axis deer. I can't afford to pack my bags and head to India to shoot one in it's native environment. I can, however, afford to head to Texas or Florida to a game preserve and get one.

No they can't run away because of the fences. No it's not very sporting. But obviously people are willing to do it and it's putting money in the local economies (ammo, food, lodging, tax, hunting licenses) so there IS some good in it.

Now, there is a downside...

Here in Florida, we already have enough invasive species on our land and in our waters. If those animals get out it can wreak havoc. Axis deer have already managed to escape and are multiplying since a preserve's fence was blown down during Hurricane Charley. I had 13 of them at my feeder a few months ago.

That's the point of the high fences. When it comes to exotic game fence height is usually regulated by state law. The high fences aren't really there to keep the animals in to make them eaiser to hunt they're there to keep them from escaping to places they don't belong and can do more damage than good.

desidog
August 20, 2010, 10:58 AM
I agree, but it too has it's place.

Yes, it does. I didn't say it was Wrong on Unethical, just fundamentally different.

I don't think that these two, albeit similar, pursuits should be held in the same merit or esteem, based on the differences. I'd love to see a "pen-raised" vs. "wild/never seen people or a trough" disclaimer on every trophy buck picture in the magazines and on tv. It might bring some easily influenced folks back to reality a bit.

beeenbag
August 20, 2010, 11:16 AM
I believe if you take the time to setup/build feeders and keep them stocked. All while eliminating your scent and setting up shooting lanes, you are hunting. You are setting up the kill by "out smarting" the prey.

As far as under sized deer... This is exactly why I hunt early muzzleloading season vigorously. My family eats all the deer meat I am allowed to harvest. I take the smallest possible for steaks ( I carry some out over my shoulder after field dressing) and take an old doe or a over mature buck for burger. We stay well fed and the deer population is running rampid around here.

chas08
August 20, 2010, 11:27 AM
I'd love to shoot an axis deer. I can't afford to pack my bags and head to India to shoot one in it's native environment. I can, however, afford to head to Texas or Florida to a game preserve and get one.

No they can't run away because of the fences. Actually there are large populations of free ranging Axis deer in pockets all over Texas too.

I have a work friend who has killed several over the years on his non-highfenced property. Where they came from is anyones guess but they seem to be thriving.

The biggest roadblock in Texas however is gaining access to them since someone owns almost every square inch of the state. That is the one big difference between Western state hunters and Eastern/Southern state hunters. We hunt the way we do because we have to.

I personally don't care for "Deer Ranching" and wish high fencing was non existant but there is big money in it and people willing to pay it. And in most cases the native species benefit from it.

jimmyraythomason
August 20, 2010, 11:43 AM
I personally don't care for "Deer Ranching" and wish high fencing was non existant but there is big money in it and people willing to pay it. Same here but since they don't force their methods of harvest on me,it is none of my business how they hunt. As long as they conform to our game laws,more power to them.

Art Eatman
August 21, 2010, 12:30 AM
This thread was about Ted Nugent, once upon a time...

If you enjoyed reading about "Naughty, Naughty Uncle Ted!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!