Paint for sights or other product

PDA

AKPastor
August 19, 2010, 12:49 AM
I have a revolver with adjustable iron sights and want something that I can put on them to increase their visibility (on the range and for home defense.) A friend mentioned appliance paint. I looked at a product called Bright Sights, but there seemed to be a lot of negative reviews.

What are the options?
What have you used?

Price is a bit of an issue. I am looking for a low cost approach (at least for now.) Go ahead and suggest higher price options since I will entertain those for the future. I do want to keep the original sights.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Paint for sights or other product" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 19, 2010, 12:05 PM
White appliance touch-up paint.
Nail polish to match your accessorys.
Or better yet, Testers Model enamal available in every color there is, including day-glow, cheap, at Walmart or any hobby shop.

Bullseye match shooters use soot blackened black sights.
Colored sights change your zero / point of impact when the sun hits them a various angles during the day.

rc

kbbailey
August 19, 2010, 12:19 PM
go to an auto parts store or a welding supply store and look for marking pens for use on steel.
They are like oversize markers with paint. Available in many bright colors.
That is what I use.

AKPastor
August 19, 2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks - I think I may have to go shopping today

Greg Koziol
August 19, 2010, 04:12 PM
you can get glow in the dark paint but you have to charge those, or you can replace the sight with tritium or fiber optics

Mudinyeri
August 19, 2010, 05:29 PM
Testers Model enamal available in every color there is, including day-glow, cheap, at Walmart or any hobby shop.

I've seen this work very well.

AKPastor
August 20, 2010, 01:24 AM
Used the Testors and went to the range and was very pleased. Thanks for all the tips

ruger1228
August 22, 2010, 05:27 PM
Used the Testors and went to the range and was very pleased. Thanks for all the tips
What color Testers did you use?

45crittergitter
August 27, 2010, 10:50 AM
I use the Testors fluorescent, usually in yellow, sometimes hot pink. A base coat of white will help.

Jim Watson
August 27, 2010, 12:54 PM
Bright Sights is a bust, their orange was pastel.

I like Model Master fluorescent red, which has an orange cast; applied over a white base coat. I have a night sight with the blade painted red around the tritium lamp that is a good all-conditions sight.

FLG uses car body touch-up paint which is a tough enamel.

Most holsters these days have sight tracks and paint will last a good while.

If you enjoyed reading about "Paint for sights or other product" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!