Lever rifle tube mag

PDA

Roodles
August 19, 2010, 11:51 AM
Are these bullets ok to use in a tube mag?

Lee Mold 358-140-SWC

They look a bit pointy to me, I was wondering if anyone else had used them in a tube mag without any explosions :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Lever rifle tube mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
texas bulldog
August 19, 2010, 12:12 PM
Just googled up a picture of the bullet you reference. I think the "pointiness" you refer to is still going to be wider than the primer of the next round. Plus, it's lead, not a metal jacket, meaning it's relatively soft. The profile doesn't seem much different than JSPs I have used in my Marlin 1894, sans explosion.

So...while I will not claim to be an expert, I would use these without fear.

http://www.grafs.com/uploads/pictures/128/lee90317.jpg

MinnMooney
August 19, 2010, 12:34 PM
It looks safe to me, also, but before shooting any from a tube-fed rifle I'd call/write/email Lee for an opinion. They would certainly know if there has been any problems.

rcmodel
August 19, 2010, 03:38 PM
Should be fine.

A .357 carbine doesn't kick all that much.

If it was a 45-70 500 grain, it might be a little iffy.

The big question is whether your lever-action will feed short SWC bullets or not. Many won't.

rc

CraigC
August 19, 2010, 03:49 PM
That's a narrow little meplat but it will probably be okay. IMHO, much of this particular fear is overblown. It takes a lot of force to ignite a primer and there just ain't much going on inside a pistol cartridge levergun's magazine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lever rifle tube mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!