Nosler Partition Accuracy

PDA

ArtP
August 20, 2010, 01:37 PM
When compared to other well constructed hunting bullets, what's your opinion of the accuracy of the Nosler Partition in handloads? Ever noticed an accuracy difference between heavy for caliber or light for caliber?

If you're in to such things, which mid to high end hunting bullet do you find most accurate?

I'm considering NP's in a hunting rifle that is not the best shooter and would like to avoid escalating any accuracy issues.

Of course my rifles mileage will vary.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nosler Partition Accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
janobles14
August 20, 2010, 02:05 PM
they are just as accurate as anything else would be. i think the ballistic tips are a bit more accruate myself. but for "minute of deer" needs they will do just fine. its more specific to each weapon than bullet i think.

JimKirk
August 20, 2010, 05:11 PM
My experince is with .224 and .257 Nosler partitions. The .224 60 grain shoot very accurate in my DPMS 16" barreled AR, as good or better than 55 grain FMJ but not quite as good as a good Varmint or target bullet. The .257 115 grain partitions fall about the middle of the accuracy pack, better than some others and worse than the bullets my rifle "likes", but even the "worse" are plenty accurate enough for deer.

Jimmy K

HEAVY METAL 1
August 21, 2010, 01:51 AM
I found that out of my 30-06 the speer hot point and NP shoot to the same POA. Both bullets are 165 gr which I know is not light or heavy for caliber like you asked, but my Mod 70 shoots the NP accuratly enough that I'd feel confident taking a poke at a deer out to 300 yds with a steady rest. My Swede Mauser shoots them as well as any match bullet I've tried. As an aside I think they are a bit of an extravagance for soft bodied game such as whitetails, but I have a lifetime of loads of them for my 30-06 and Swede. The only way to know is to load 'em and see. They are a bit costly of an experiment if they end up shooting poorly in your rifle, but you'll never really know unless you try them. Again if you are shooting at whitetails I would recommend a less expensive bullet, but if after tough critters I'd use them and I do use them for elk hunting.

OYE
August 21, 2010, 05:21 AM
"I'm considering NP's in a hunting rifle that is not the best shooter and would like to avoid escalating any accuracy issues."

Is this the Sako 270 you were having problems with? If so was curious how you came out on it.

Bullets: Not sure what caliber you are using. In 30/06 I get excellent acurracy .19 in. center to center with Horanady ( interlock) 190 gr. BT. Get .34 center to center in same gun with 180 grain Remington core locts. ( 100yds) Model 70 winchester carbine 20 in. barrel , very short throat. Have had no bullet failures on several elk with either bullet from 20 to 425 yds.

In another 30/06, Remington model 721 24 in. barrel, very long throat, I get .32 in. center to center with
Remington 180 gr. core locts. after 10 rounds, 1.7 in. from a clean bore (Note BT bullets will not shoot accurately in this gun and never would.) 100 yds.

Both guns have only been modified with synthetic stocks (bedded with barrel floated)
trigger pulls 3 1/2 lbs.. A slightly heavier than stock striker spring on both guns. Both rifles have leopold scopes and Redfield / Leupold front dovetail mounts. Spend most of their life on horseback with no shift in impact.

I've never personally used Nosler partition bullets. I will say that I tried some 165 gr. Nosler ballistic
tips (not partition) one year on elk, many years ago, before settling on the above bullets. A very large elk was shot at ~ 200 yds 3 times, well hit. Got him, but he went a bit farther than I liked. I felt those bullets penetrated poorly in this instance.

I have seen 3 elk killed by a former hunting partner with 130 gr. Nosler partitions in a 270. All were well hit. They did the job, but I was not overly impressed. All 3 got a bit too far in very steep country which means a lot of extra work for both men and horses. Since all horses were mine, he lost his invitation after the third one.

NuJudge
August 21, 2010, 07:24 AM
Nosler Partitions are a hunting bullet, so I've shot nowhere near as many as I have of other designs. The early Partitions were not very accurate (2" or 3" groups), but performed well. Everything since 1970 or so has shot well and performed well (1" at 100 yards is my standard).

steve4102
August 21, 2010, 09:30 AM
Nosler Partitions are excellent hunting bullets and are the standard by which all others are measured. NP's are just about all I shoot in my hunting rifles. MOA or better is not a problem. As with any bullet you need to work up to an accurate load, it may come with the first bullet/powder combo and it may take a few different combos.
I buy all my Partitions here, about half price, when they have them in stock of course.
http://www.shootersproshop.com/index.php?p=11&b=8&s=393&t=Partition

If you enjoyed reading about "Nosler Partition Accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!