WASR keyholing

PDA

bgrav321
August 20, 2010, 04:17 PM
Highroaders,

I have a WASR which I was fairly pleased with. Shot awful with wolf, but I got some Yugo stuff and it was doing well with it. Then I noticed the holes in the paper were huge. Fairly certain it is keyholing; I know what a 7.62 hole looks like and these are oblong, and as nice as having a 14mm hole is, I think there are other problems...

If you're going to say "that's what you get for getting a Century WASR", I really don't care. That's not the point.

Any thoughts as to what is causing it, or how does one fix it?

If you enjoyed reading about "WASR keyholing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
August 20, 2010, 04:20 PM
Put a hard backer behind the paper target.

If the paper is free hanging it will try to get out of the way and the holes will not be perfectly round.

rc

boricua9mm
August 20, 2010, 04:24 PM
Pull off the muzzle break and have a look at the crown of the barrel. A damaged crown could be the culprit. Also, take a look at the muzzle break itself. You shouldn't see any copper strikes. If so, that's no bueno.

briansmithwins
August 21, 2010, 11:10 AM
What's the bore and throat look like? It takes work to shoot out a 7.62x39 barrel, but the throat will go eventually. BSW

wally
August 21, 2010, 12:19 PM
I'm betting on rcmodel's solution.

Nugilum
August 21, 2010, 02:39 PM
What's the history of your WASR?

Is it a Century? Or was it assembled by someone in their garage? Is it from an old parts kit that still had the original barrel?

ms6852
August 21, 2010, 03:44 PM
What is the rifle twist on your barrel and the bullet weight you fire? Maybe you just need to match both and key holing will stop.

The Lone Haranguer
August 22, 2010, 08:29 AM
If the bullets are in fact "keyholing," i.e., from lack of rifling stabilization, I would think it would be grossly inaccurate with any and all ammo. I suggest firing into a piece of white cardboard with a rigid mounting instead of the tissue-like paper that targets are typically made of.

noyes
August 22, 2010, 08:41 AM
Maybe the bullets are hitting the ground just in front of the target ,?

bgrav321
August 22, 2010, 08:54 PM
OK the rifle is a century, per the OP.

I checked the muzzle brake, and it's loose. How do I tighten it?

bgrav321
August 22, 2010, 08:55 PM
Oh and there are copper colorings in the muzzle brake as well, another point for that theory.

If you enjoyed reading about "WASR keyholing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!