How to store rifles in a safe?

PDA

vaupet
August 21, 2010, 04:31 AM
I have a question for you: I have a problem storing my bolt-action rifles: rhey are to broad for standard safe distance holders.
It would be better to store them bolt open or without the bolt. Beside the extra room, it would be safer to.
Same question really: does anyone store their levers "bolt open"?

Does this in any way harm the rifles? weaken springs?

Greetings

Peter

If you enjoyed reading about "How to store rifles in a safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Al Thompson
August 21, 2010, 09:00 AM
I store my lever actions closed due to the extra space needed if they were open. As for bolt actions, I remove the bolts and store them separately due to both space and security enhancement. Slings are secured to the rifle with rubber bands. I like to store my long guns muzzle down, but you have to be cautious - sometimes this can lead to one falling...

Theory behind muzzle down is that oil will flow out the bore and not into the action. Probably theoretical only, but does help to cram another rifle of two in the safe sometimes... :D

Art Eatman
August 21, 2010, 09:18 AM
I have stored rifles with bolts open and bolts closed. Muzzle up; muzzle down. None of that has never affected anything whatsoever. Not since 1963, when I finally got back into the hunting and shooting fun and games...

As near as I can tell, guns don't care...

If you enjoyed reading about "How to store rifles in a safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!