How often does the CMP receive heaps of Garands?

PDA

Ignition Override
August 21, 2010, 05:49 AM
My CMP rifle was bought from a friend two weeks ago.

Do their buyers shop overseas at military warehouses and find large batches every two-four years or more often?

Just read an article about our govt. blocking import of a massive number in Korea.

If you enjoyed reading about "How often does the CMP receive heaps of Garands?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kevin5098
August 21, 2010, 07:57 AM
My understanding is that the Garands sold by the CMP are given to them by the US Govt from weapons that were loaned to other countries and later returned to the US. I believe the Korean rifles were being sold by the Korean government. You can read more at the CMP website:
http://odcmp.com

Nugilum
August 21, 2010, 09:26 AM
Sadly the CMP does not import firearms. They're not allowed to "hunt" the globe for Garands. The firearms that CMP sells are weapons:
1.) Returned to the US Army/Military/DOD by Governments the firearms were loaned to,
2.) US Government stores,
3.) Private donations and returns from Veteran's Organizations.

The current batch of rifles the CMP are selling are Greek. A few years ago, they were Dutch. They do have a large stash of South American returns, but they are in bad shape (shot wood and rusty metal). The Garands from US sources were depleted generations ago. :(

IIRC they are using these South American Garand for parts to restore the Greeks to full working order.

The beauty of CMP rifles are no importation stamps. They aren't required to like other firearm importers like Century Arms International (CAI).

Tim the student
August 21, 2010, 11:58 AM
Nugilum nailed it, IMO.

Like he said, they get them from Uncle Sugar.

And they get a hell of a lot more Garands from him than they do Carbines (which is none now).

Ignition Override
August 22, 2010, 12:04 AM
The article I saw on the White House banning the import of a large quantity from S. Korea could be just a single event, or is this a trend, until we have some different "leadership" in the White House?

There is an indication that the decision was made many months ago.
The link is on the Garand forum at "Gunandgame": "M-1 Garands and Carbines Denied Entry".

If this event already were proven to be a new trend, wouldn't CMP rifle prices skyrocket and stay there?

Nugilum
August 22, 2010, 12:09 AM
Good question. There isn't enough info out there to say definitively.

wideym
August 22, 2010, 12:30 AM
I belive the import ban from Korea was for a Korean company or state company from selling the Garands and carbines instead of returning them to the U.S. goverment to turned over to the CMP.

Tim the student
August 22, 2010, 12:52 AM
I want to say that I've read that this has been on ongoing thing, but I'm not sure. I'll try to do some more research to back that up.

ETA: Found some stuff that may shed some light on some of the aspects of this thread.

Just read an article about our govt. blocking import of a massive number in Korea.

The following (http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3319&highlight=korea) is a reply from Orest Michaels, from the CMP.
The emals and calls keep pouring in to CMP asking about the Korean rifles and carbines. The following is our reply:

The rumors, reports, articles about Korea have been circulating for at least five years. A few months ago a Korean newspaper once again reported that they would selling Garands and carbines to a US importer. The CMP is not a firearms importer and we do not have any involvement of any kind in anything that may happen with these Korean rifles and carbines.

The only way any rifle or carbine from any country can find its way to the CMP is if the country returns loaned rifles back to the US Army. When that happens, the CMP "may" possibly receive some of those rifles. According to the recent articles, Korea will not be returning anything to the US Army, but will be "selling" these rifles to an importer. If, in fact, these rifles are sold to an importer, the CMP will not see even one of them. We do not have any additional information on this subject. Thanks for understanding.

Orest Michaels
Chief Operating Officer

Note the "five years". Doesn't look like this is a recent thing in any way.

Some of the threads seem to have been deleted from the CMP forums, which is too bad. Basically, from what I can gather, it seems like the importation was blocked, since S. Korea can't prove that the rifles weren't part of the batch that was loaned to them under the lend/lease (or whatever) program. Since they can't do that, the US government is blocking their importation to the US, since we think they may be "ours". Basically, Uncle Sam won't allow what he thinks is his to be sold here.

Trebor
August 22, 2010, 03:19 AM
The CMP didn't run out of U.S. service Garands "generations ago." As recently as just a couple years ago "U.S. service grade" was an option. I haven't bought a Garand from the CMP in about four or five years, but all of my Garands are from U.S. stocks.

The Danish rifles were the first non-U.S. sourced rifles they sold.

Tim the student
August 22, 2010, 03:26 AM
They still have Service Grades. http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

If someone said they don't have them, I must have missed that.

Nugilum
August 22, 2010, 02:21 PM
The CMP didn't run out of U.S. service Garands "generations ago."

Not what I said...

The Garands from US sources were depleted generations ago.

Not service grades, Garands that were in US military armories were sold off generations ago.

61chalk
August 22, 2010, 04:18 PM
From what I've read over at CMP, they still have around 100,000 Garands still in crates, maybe more. Too bad almost all the carbines are gone, never to get anymore.

Ignition Override
August 22, 2010, 06:40 PM
A second would be really nice.

By the way, a guy at 'Milsurps.com' ("M-14/Garand", "Canned M-1 Rifles", "mack"), claimed that whenever the CMP checked many large 'cans' of stored Garands in Korea, numerous cans had rusted and the guns were ruined, or the prices for others were way too high.

Tirod
August 23, 2010, 08:39 AM
Interesting how the CMP has specifically said they cannot import, but rumor has it the CMP were on site in Korea inspecting rifles that were apparently available.

Ah, the internet . . .

USSR
August 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
Not service grades, Garands that were in US military armories were sold off generations ago.

Nope. I received an M1 Garand from the DCM (CMP's predecessor) that came from Anniston Arsenal's stock of rifles in the late 80's (that's 1980's). While I may not be a youngster, I don't believe that is defined as "generations ago".

Don

Art Eatman
August 23, 2010, 12:39 PM
The original post has pretty much been answered...

If you enjoyed reading about "How often does the CMP receive heaps of Garands?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!