How to dispose/get rid of unwanted ammo?

PDA

gbran
August 21, 2010, 12:06 PM
While I haven't made up my mind to unload excess ammo yet, I've found my self in a position where I have a lot of various cartridges/calibers I just don't need.

I am not a gun collector........ I'm an accumulator. Most every gun I own was bought to be used. Unfortunately, I have far too many to use and silly as it sounds, I'll likey be buying more.

I am going to sell many of my guns, which I have no problem with. There are or will be calibers or specific cartridges won't be needed anymore and any that can't be sold with the guns, I just don't know what to do with. BTW, I live in CA.

I can't sell them on Craigslist or Ebay. Most are factory loadings, but a few hundred are reloads. I don't know if I'd buy reloads from a stranger, so I doubt anybody would buy mine.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to dispose/get rid of unwanted ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HGUNHNTR
August 21, 2010, 12:12 PM
Put up a post in the for sale section with pics. Everyone like to buy ammo!

fireman 9731
August 21, 2010, 12:13 PM
Sell the ammo with their guns.

Or buy a bullet puller for twenty bucks to break down the ammo and sell it as components.

Or sell the reloads as is, for component use only.

I'm sure you could unload them here on the buy/sell/trade forum.

gbran
August 21, 2010, 12:14 PM
How do I ship the ammo?

gbran
August 21, 2010, 12:18 PM
If I sold guns over the internet, how would I ship them also.... I assume to a dealer?

I have or am in the process of selling some guns to friends and will put some on consignment, where I can't sell with the guns....... All of which has to go thru an FFL in CA.

zoom6zoom
August 21, 2010, 01:30 PM
shipping info:
http://cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm
Not hazmat, but must have ORM-D markings (label or drawn on box).
Can't go USPS. UPS Ground is your best bet, but the UPS store might not accept it, you may have to go to the hub.

fireman 9731
August 21, 2010, 01:34 PM
Generally online gun sales have to go from FFL to FFL, I'm not sure of the laws in Cali, so it wouldn't hurt to check. You can ship UPS or Fedex.

Loaded ammo just has to be labeled ORM-D and shipped.

rm23
August 21, 2010, 02:14 PM
Shoot them before you sell them

gbran
August 21, 2010, 02:21 PM
Thank You all.

coloradokevin
August 21, 2010, 02:31 PM
Well, if you don't want to shoot them before you sell the guns, I'd recommend that you just give the ammo away to the person who buys your gun. I've purchased a number of used guns that came with ammo, and some sellers have built a little extra money into the price to cover the ammo.

LRS_Ranger
August 21, 2010, 02:49 PM
you might be able to unload some of it on GunBroker as well...

leadcounsel
August 21, 2010, 02:59 PM
I'm always in the market for guns and ammo.

Also, sell the guns/ammo as a package. Or trade the ammo for stuff you can use. Local FTF sales and gunshows are the best. Just fill your backpack and make a sign to hang off of it.

The Lone Haranguer
August 21, 2010, 03:17 PM
If it is not faulty, take it to a gun show and sell it. I did that with some .380 ammo I no longer had a gun for. It sold within 15 minutes of entering the show.

mgkdrgn
August 21, 2010, 07:25 PM
Generally online gun sales have to go from FFL to FFL
Generally -not- true.

In-state shipments --- The feds don't care at all ... but your state might.

Inter-state shipments --- individual -can- ship to an FFL, but NOT to another individual. However, not -all- FFL's will accept a shipment from a non-FFL (most will, but not all). FFL -must- ship to another FFL, can not ship to an individual (unless returning an item sent for repair).

Steve Marshall
August 21, 2010, 08:20 PM
If you collect that eclectically, why not hang on to it? Sooner or later you'll probably end up with the same caliber gun. Or stash it for the day that someone else can use it.

Hardtarget
August 22, 2010, 01:54 AM
How about this...before you sell the guns, RANGE TRIP! Just shoot all the ammo. then you have no problem because you will have gotten rid of all the problems! :D You can even give away the empty brass to reloaders. fun and games.

Mark

Snowdog
August 22, 2010, 02:18 AM
Can one ever really have "too much" ammo? If you need to make more room, I suppose I can understand... but I would make room (and shoot more). Seriously, even if my basement and garage were filled to the ceiling with ammunition, I'd start burying it in the backyard.

Hutch
August 22, 2010, 11:33 AM
What an astonishing thought, which says much more about me than it does you. Well-stored ammunition is like money in the bank, only better. The only reasons I could imagine for selling "excess to anticipated needs" ammunition are: No place to keep it; A serious financial emergency. My unborn grandchildren will be shooting ammunition I bought a decade ago.

BTW, I hope I didn't come across as being dismissive or judgemental, see my first statement.

CHEVELLE427
August 22, 2010, 01:25 PM
have a giveaway

jnyork
August 22, 2010, 08:01 PM
Put it in your next yardsale, will be gone by 8:00 AM

mnrivrat
August 23, 2010, 02:04 AM
Most gunsmith business's will be glad to purchase the ammo as it is always needed for test firing.

rtpzwms
August 23, 2010, 10:17 AM
What no volunteers? I'll take it off your hands! Just PM me I live in CA too....:D

MachIVshooter
August 23, 2010, 10:32 AM
delete

If you enjoyed reading about "How to dispose/get rid of unwanted ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!