What is your AR's primary purpose?

PDA

M&PVolk
August 21, 2010, 01:31 PM
Defensive rifle? Varminting? Match shooting? Plinking?

The Rock River thread got me wondering about the "chart", and how it applies to AR 15 owners. It is generally (certainly not always) assumed that when someone asks about buying an AR, they are looking for a defensive type rifle, so more "chart" features are better. In fact, for some uses, chart features may not be preferred at all. With that in mind, What is your AR 15's primary use, and what did you buy/build or customize to accommodate that primary use?

If you enjoyed reading about "What is your AR's primary purpose?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LRS_Ranger
August 21, 2010, 01:45 PM
I bought an AR for a number of reasons. I shoot IDPA and want to get into 3 gun, so I guess that can count as a tactical use. I also like to practice my "army skills" with it. I don't tend to use it as a home defense gun, especially since moving to OR. I have a handgun with an extra mag for HD use. Other than that, it's just a really fun rifle. That is usually one of the first guns I give to a new shooter because of the light recoil. I also like educating people about how black rifles aren't evil. One of these days I'm going to take it out hunting too. The best thing about these guns is the way they can do so many things well..

esheato
August 21, 2010, 01:47 PM
Which AR? I tend to buy a gun for a purpose.

One for defense and the occasional 3 gun comp (16" mid length, larue everything, ACOG, CTR stock)
One for varmint (doing design now...prolly 24", big brake, Leupold varmint hunters, would love to have the JP upper, but we'll see...Sabre has nice stuff too)
One for plinking (9mm carbine with EOtech)

Looking into a 300 Whisper too. I have no use for it, but I want it and that's good enough for me. Leaning towards suppressed 10" with an Aimpoint on top. Of course it'll be months down the road.

AR27
August 21, 2010, 01:48 PM
i use mine for defense and plinking. should have bought a 400 dollar ak-47

cbrgator
August 21, 2010, 01:49 PM
Fun
SHTF

stork
August 21, 2010, 01:49 PM
Hi Power service rifle matches.

TexasPatriot.308
August 21, 2010, 01:51 PM
this is my weapon, this is my gun, this one's for killing, this ones for fun.... standard reply from our old drill instructors...

Walkalong
August 21, 2010, 01:53 PM
.223 for range fun and possible defense.

9MM for range fun. It could be used for self defense. (I do not want to hear how underpowered it is. I assure you that you don't want me shooting at you inside of 200 yards with it. After about 5 or 6 9mm slugs your attitude may change. ;))

kwelz
August 21, 2010, 01:58 PM
Home Defense, SHTF, and training weapon. Although the Training just goes towards the first 2 uses.

Jeff82
August 21, 2010, 01:59 PM
0-200+ meter defense carbine: 16", 1 in 14" twist (I use 55 gr FMJ's), telescoping stock, EoTech.

And 3-Gun matches. :)

CHEVELLE427
August 21, 2010, 02:03 PM
Defensive rifle? & Plinking?

fun gun and will be handy if the shtf someday

nbkky71
August 21, 2010, 02:44 PM
A2 service rifle shooter here... chasing that Distinguished Rifleman's badge.
My RRA M4 clone is a plinker and SHTF gun.

ThePunisher'sArmory
August 21, 2010, 03:09 PM
For waht cbrgator said. Fun and Zombies!!!!

taliv
August 21, 2010, 03:19 PM
some are are purpose built for CMP or 3gun. others are general purpose for carbine classes and defense.

with respect to the chart almost all of the latter exceed the mil-standards listed on the chart

M&PVolk
August 21, 2010, 03:47 PM
Good answers, but it would be nice to hear a little more about the how the guns are setup for the intended use as well. FE: If you are varminting, what is the barrel length? Chrome or unlined? Optics? It would be interesting to know the primary use along with why your particular gun is suited to that use....

Welding Rod
August 21, 2010, 03:53 PM
Well I don't keep an AR next to the bed at night, I keep a handgun, so I guess not really for home defense.

I have a standard M1A and suppose it would get the first nod for SHTF, though I keep one AR for backup, so I guess not really for SHTF.

So I guess what is left is inexpensive recreational shooting. I mostly like to use ARs for hitting small targets at medium ranges, particularly with iron sights. Banging gongs at 100 -200 yards from varying shooting positions is a lot of fun too.

taliv
August 21, 2010, 03:55 PM
well, this gun is set up for 3gun. it doesn't meet any chart specs that i can think of. it has a carbon fiber upper, lower, barrel, and handguard. it has an aluminum bolt carrier. it has a single stage match trigger. it has an adjustable gas block. it has a wylde chamber.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3540/bgar.jpg

for more pictures and brief descriptions of some of my game vs general purpose ARs, see this thread http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=494013

Welding Rod
August 21, 2010, 04:06 PM
My primary ARs:

RRA 20" Standard A2 with chrome. 1:9 twist. I use 55 grain ammo almost exclusively. GI nylon sling is the only accessory. Rifle shoots sub MOA with match grade ammo if I am having a good day with the iron sights.

RRA 20" Standard A4 with SS HBAR, 1:8 twist, round aluminum handguard, A2 stock, and short Harris bipod. Leupold Mk4 4.5-14 x 50 scope. I mostly use Hornady 75 grain Match, Hornady TAP, or Federal GMM. Rifle shoot sub 3/4 MOA.

SHTF backup gun:

RRA lower with milspec trigger and GI A1 stock, BCM 20 Government upper & BCG with plastic GI handguards, and RRA carry handle for rear iron sights.

LeontheProfessional
August 21, 2010, 04:06 PM
I have RRA carbine M4gery that I use for hunting, plinking and of coarse in case SHTF.

45Fan
August 21, 2010, 04:18 PM
Armalite m-15A2. Its the closest thing I could find to my M-16 A2 rifle, and I dearly loved that rifle. I shoot it to relax, use it for hunting, and I have found that it does a wonderful job at increasing the pucker factor when I run across poachers/trespassers in the woods.

wally
August 21, 2010, 05:04 PM

Exercise my rights.

Free men can own guns, slaves can't.

W.E.G.
August 21, 2010, 05:07 PM
annoying pantywaist liberals mostly

killchain
August 21, 2010, 05:08 PM
Most everything.

But it's the first to leave the gun safe if there's trouble.

strambo
August 21, 2010, 05:22 PM
Fun..., to have before some govt. busy-body says I can't. I've assigned it a theoretical mission of close quarter combat and it is optimized for such. I doubt (hope) it will never fulfill that mission.

Zerodefect
August 21, 2010, 05:28 PM
Defense
(Possibly offense at the rate Rome is Falling)

Colt 6920 for CQB defense.

BCM Mk12 Mod 3x SPR for more stretched out terrain. (But for now defense against pests like groundhogs, squirrels, and rats. Coyotes, Wolves, Snakes, Bears get a free pass on my land though.)

happygeek
August 21, 2010, 05:46 PM
The wife's and my only AR is a RRA lower with CMMG dedicated 22LR upper that is used for target practice, 'tactical' training, and just fun in general (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=538040).

I'm looking at various cheap scopes and red dots for it currently.

SlamFire1
August 21, 2010, 05:50 PM
Punching small holes in paper.

It is outstanding in that role.

For something thicker, I would use my M1a.

wally
August 21, 2010, 05:57 PM
I'm looking at various cheap scopes and red dots for it currently.

Red Dots:

Sightmark "aimpoint look-alike" ~$80
Barska M16 Electro Sight ~$70-90 depending on the reticle
Vortex "Strikefire" red/gree dot options ~$150.

All the above will co-witness nicely with the ~$30 UTG flip up sight if you've a standard front sight. The Barska is lower 3/4 co-witness which you will either love or hate.

All three have worked very well for me on 7.62x39 & .223 rifles as well as .22s -- although the Vortex was just too nice to leave on "only a .22"

Cheap scopes:

The Centerpoints from Walmart are very nice for the price.

happygeek
August 21, 2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks, I will check those out!

browningguy
August 21, 2010, 06:28 PM
I have one for varminting/target shooting(DPMS upper with 16" stainless bull barrel), one for hunting pigs and deer (Alex. Arms .50 Beowulf), one for plinking/varmint shooting (AR57 in 5.7x28). I have a few other .223's that are not AR's including a Mini 14 and 2 SU16's.

jleyring
August 21, 2010, 07:03 PM
I bought a Bushmaster A3 flat top 20" barrel. I use it for varmiting/plinking. I'm in the process of putting a better scope on it so i can see a little farther. Only have a 4" scope now. My other AR, I am building, is just mostly goin to be for plinkin/home defense. It will be a shorter, 14.5" barrel with collapsable stock.

grace2u
August 21, 2010, 09:05 PM
This is what I've been thinking as well. My wife bought me a MP15 ORC, which I intended to use for varminting, but I'm thinking about selling it and getting a bolt action. I don't know that I want to have to clean so much and I've heard they get filthy. I haven't had time to shoot it yet, so I'm still thinking...

taliv
August 21, 2010, 09:15 PM
I don't know that I want to have to clean so much and I've heard they get filthy

you don't have to clean so much. i clean mine once or twice/year at most. really, it's not a big deal.

Joe Demko
August 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
Mine are mostly for looking at in the gun cabinet lately. Before that, they were just general purpose guns.

bri
August 21, 2010, 10:15 PM
My AR's primary purpose is for fun. Secondary? It looks cool I guess...

bushmaster1313
August 21, 2010, 10:47 PM
Preserve Liberty.
Show the Liberals that the 2nd Amendment still applies.
SHTF
Teach newbies how to shoot

shotgunjoel
August 21, 2010, 10:51 PM
Awesomeness.

No, actually I don't have an AR, but that should be an option. I know people who own ARs just because they thought that they were awesome and had no real use for it other than to look cool.

NAK
August 21, 2010, 10:59 PM

Defensive rifle? Varminting? Match shooting? Plinking?

I believe this is the wrong question, at least many of us on this forum. That apostrophe is in the way.

Let's try What do you use your ARs for.

#1 24" 1:7, heavy barrel, flattop with bi-pod for reaching out and touching coyotes and similar size critters at a distance. Also sees a littler paper punching out at longer distances.

#2 Bushmaster 16" with an Eotech for plinking and home defense.

#3 6.8 SPC from AR Performance ...just for those tough skinned little piggies.

#4 & #5 still need a purpose, but hey, you cannot have to many ARs.

Zanad
August 21, 2010, 11:32 PM
if i had one it would be set up for targets.

a good 2 stage lower
the real meat would be on the upper.
an 20" upper form delton Inc

chrome lined heavy barrel
chrome bolt/carrier group
vented free float tube
A2 flash hider
flattop upper with m4 feed ramps.

Sgt_R
August 22, 2010, 12:41 AM
Mine's a toy. I like toys.

R

lumbergh
August 22, 2010, 01:03 AM
Zombies.

C-grunt
August 22, 2010, 06:06 AM
Mine is for defense.

16 inch Noveske Midlength RECCE with a Troy rail and a V-TAC sling. Still waiting on my can and trying to decide if I want a red dot or not.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/008_crop.jpg

ole farmerbuck
August 22, 2010, 06:24 AM
For me it P-dogin and paper punchin.

Orion8472
August 22, 2010, 10:48 AM
I have one lower and two uppers. One with 16" barrel, iron sights and red dot. 20" with free float handguard and scope.

Minor purpose of both: The occasional day at the range fun.

Major purpose for the 16": Zombies

Major purpose for the 20": Zombies further away

BTW, "Zombies" is code.

Hagen442
August 22, 2010, 11:01 AM
AR15 (223)USPSA & IDPA 3 Gun / Ground Hogs & Coyotes
AR10 (308)USPSA 3 Gun Heavy Metal / Car Killer
AR45 (45ACP) IDPA 3Gun Pistol Caliber
AR22 (22) Multi Gun Ruger Rim Fire / Ground Hogs

esheato
August 22, 2010, 12:14 PM
Hagen, you got a pic of the 45 ACP? I'm curious.

Thanks.

Bartholomew Roberts
August 22, 2010, 12:29 PM
The primary purpose as I intended it or as it is actually used? My intention is to have a good reliable carbine for self-defense. In actual use, it is mostly recreational/training - though in the last year its use has been more safe queen as I haven't put enough rounds downrange to make it worthwhile to comment on.

gdcpony
August 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
All of the above.
It serves primarily for groundhogs and 'yotes, but my kids love to plink with it, and in a pinch a varmint bullet makes a great defensive round. Especially when you have allot of them. I don't compete, but may and it will go with my then too.

rromeo
August 22, 2010, 12:57 PM
It looks cool in the safe, and it's as close as I can get to my M16A2 service rifle I used to carry.

benEzra
August 22, 2010, 01:20 PM
All of the above. I can't afford one rifle for HD, one rifle for USPSA, and one rifle for plinking, nor would I necessarily want to; just getting the one was quite a stretch. So it has to be able to do all of the above, well.

I actually shoot a Rock River (chrome lined, 5.56 chamber), but from the factory it was in dire need of proper gas key staking, the castle nut wasn't staked, and the charging handle was very flimsy compared to the BCM handle I replaced it with. So I ended up having to take care of some details that RRA neglected.

docsleepy
August 22, 2010, 02:40 PM
1) Liberty: to add to the number sold, which is such a large number and growing, that it must be a worrying thought in the minds of those who would take our liberties away;
2) My son's liberty, and that of any future grandchildren -- the one that is gong to be gifted
3) Defense -- should the nation go the way of Mexico, my home will be bristling with lead-spitters; should the nation go the way of Watts, etc., likewise. There is section 8 housing a few miles south. Mobs would be advised to turn around and go elsewhere.

Our family owned zero firearms prior to the previous election. We now have 22lr x 3, 9mm, 380, .38spc x 2, .223, 5.56, 7mm-08, 6PPC, and 20-gauge. If need be, we can equip several trusted friends. And we can load for most of those calibers. He who desires peace, should prepare for war.

ms6852
August 22, 2010, 04:04 PM
I don't own one got tired of them in my almost 21 year stint in the military. But now I have being longing for a DPMS in .243 caliber. Would more than likely use it as a back up for deer hunting.

DougW
August 22, 2010, 04:18 PM
Fun!!!

Gottahaveone
August 22, 2010, 04:26 PM
Fun and shtf. Primary AR is a gently tweaked (CAA stock saddle, Magpul grip) Stag Model 1. It has an Eotech and BUIS and that's about the extent of the accessorizing. Lots of fun to plink with and if (when) things get nasty it and a stack of 30 round magpul's will help me sleep better at night. It's a simple system that the better half can easily use as well. Can't beat "put the dot on it and squeeze" for a competent but non-enthusiast spouse.

matrem
August 22, 2010, 06:00 PM
Got my first one to prove to myself how inferior it would be to some of my other rifles.
I got quite an education!!

Own em now for everything from varminting, to grabbing in an emergency.

Doing my part to "keep them in common use"!

Hagen442
August 22, 2010, 07:18 PM
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/HAGEN442/th_IMG_0144.jpg (http://s1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/HAGEN442/?action=view&current=IMG_0144.jpg)

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/HAGEN442/th_IMG_01451.jpg (http://s1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/HAGEN442/?action=view&current=IMG_01451.jpg)

mstirton
August 22, 2010, 07:55 PM
Purpose: D,P,M,V
Actual Use: P,V,M,D

ADKWOODSMAN
August 22, 2010, 08:53 PM
3 Gun, fun, varmints and beaver removal from hunting lease when they flood the road. We have a beaver kill permit.

Sky
August 22, 2010, 09:51 PM
Interesting thread to say the least.

I have 3 Ars all dedicated to their individual mission role -sigh-kinda.

Yep their is always the large scale shtf role and I expect all are capable for that. Just hope I am long gone before that stuff goes down..Sitting on a cloud playing my little harp..

All mine are 16.5" barrels but have been thinking about a 20" barrel for one.

During the summer I only hunt at night so one of the ARs has a gen 1 night scope that I am very comfortable taking Jack Rabbits out to 100 or sometimes 120 yards. CMMG Chrome barrel. Unless a hog is totally blacker than black can reach out a bit more and let him know I am around..

Have a Vortec red Dot on a carry handle Del-Ton that is mounted in the scout mode..?(forward) and co-sights perfectly. Like the rifle and for me anything inside or a little past 100 yards with the red dot and we got fresh meat..Brush/foliage gun

Have a 2.8-10x44 mounted on a CMMG flat top and can actually hit dirt well over 300 yards Isn't gravity wonderful!! Actually have used that gun as a spotting scope almost every time I go shoot and if the palsy is looking the other way I can drill a coyote at a little over 300 yards. Only did that once cause I have only seen one.... ??

Now the dilemma; I took the night scope off and mounted a Nikon 223 scope the little 4x and really do like it...But my night grab and shoot ain't available unless I remove optics from something and re-zero my night scope (yes I know it should be close but close ain't good enough when betting on Jack Rabbits....Legal in Texas.. if not, I did not say that!!)..

I feel the symptoms of Black rifle fever upon me; trying to hold out but I hear voices saying,"buy me, buy me,"! Sigh,,,,,,,,, A new 20 or even longer barreled Black beauty with the 2.8-10x44 scope mounted,,,quad rails,,,,bi-pod,,,,super sniper stock of some kind,,,,Wow someone just shoot me and put me out of my misery!!

Patrick R
August 22, 2010, 10:53 PM
A2 20". Built up from RRA/Bushmaster parts.

Use for CMP/Target 200 yards & fun ringing far gongs etc.

peabody
August 23, 2010, 12:06 AM
20'' mutt/parts/A3 service rifle, 1-7 twist for deer huntin, barns 70gr, tsx's

one 16'' parts build cmmg barrel, to lightweight, dissipator, use for everything. 1-7 twist

one bushy 16'' M4 total bone stock, cept the bill springfield trigger, tractor/truck farm, and any and everything.1-9 twist with a dpms 5.5 long flash hider.

[the bushy will maybe turnrd into a rifle gas dissy]

peabody

i hunt everything with my AR's. groundhods/squirrels/rats/feral pigs/cats/deer/turkey...

CZRemingtonGuy
August 23, 2010, 12:50 AM
I have only one AR-15 in an SPR configuration. It's mainly a range toy and potential SHTF gun, but I might also get an occasional opportunity for varminting.

possum
August 23, 2010, 02:51 AM
home defense, as well as allow me to have an AR to conduct training courses prior to deployments.

NWCP
August 23, 2010, 04:05 AM
I have one scoped and set up for predator/varmint hunting. My other AR is set up for personal defense.

texas bulldog
August 23, 2010, 04:17 AM
- SHTF
- Possibly home defense, though it's third on the list for me after handgun and shotgun.
- Fun, of course.
- Annoying brainwashed gun-grabber types.
- Because it's still allowed...

RockyMtnTactical
August 23, 2010, 01:10 PM
Home defense. They get used for plenty of other things as well though.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/RMTactical/IMG_6586.jpg

SpeedAKL
August 23, 2010, 01:14 PM
I use it as a general-purpose rifle: home defense, practice, plinking, 2A/Liberty Enforcement Device/SHTF, fun, teaching others to shoot/teaching others that evil black guns really aren't all that evil. It pgets more use than any other gun I own.

Rokman
August 24, 2010, 10:56 AM
Mine are for Max fun. Mostly plinking, target shooting, hunting deer with 6.8, home defense if ever needed.

sarduy
August 24, 2010, 12:25 PM

shoot it untill it wear out.

Dr.Rob
August 24, 2010, 06:42 PM
Sport -Utility rifle. A little bit of everything and I don't mind getting it dirty. Tactical rifle matches, plinking, one of my 'fun guns' that is also very practical.

.zerocool.
February 4, 2011, 11:52 PM
5.7 - defense
6.8 - fsu
.223 - just because I dig the old dirty bastard of a round.

I guess in the end it comes down to fun, and because I can. It's good to live in Amurica. ra ra ra ra. (Haha think the hicks from the *** episode of southpark. He took his jooooob. He toook his jooooooob. lolol)

Onmilo
February 5, 2011, 12:00 AM
++ on the Fun!
I mainly use my rifles for hunting and target shooting.
I am getting too old to go creeping around killing bad guys.

Chris Rhines
February 5, 2011, 12:29 AM
I have two dedicated 3-gun rifles, one .22LR 3-gun trainer, and one explicitly intended for gunfighting.

-C

husker
February 5, 2011, 01:20 AM
hunting

DDawg
February 5, 2011, 07:00 AM
Coyotes....
At least thats what I told my wife!!

redneck2
February 5, 2011, 07:20 AM
Bushie Varminter in .223. Leupold 6.5x20x40 scope. Maybe the most accurate rifle I own.

RRA .458 SOCOM. 16" barrel. 2-stage trigger. Collapsible stock. Gonna put a 2x7 Redfield on it for deer hunting.

Custom upper with 22" Shilen match grade fluted barrel in WSSM necked up to .35 caliber for deer. Launches a 200 grain @ 2,850. SI Defense lower with Jewell trigger. 3x12x50 Burris Black Diamond. Should be good for 300 yards.

.zerocool.
February 5, 2011, 10:38 PM
"Coyotes....
At least thats what I told my wife!! "

lol. I have to say, lots of similar things get said to wifeys. Some things they just don't understand. "Fun" is one of those terms. Well, when you relate a firearm to "fun" that is. If you give it a purpose for a known hobby, she generally will back down, just like the guy will with some of the wife's likes. Well, until it gets excessive. It's hard to keep coming up with reasons for owning things, especially if you start to have more than a dozen guns etc in your collection. I guess each can have a specific purpose. "O that one is for bird, this one squirrels and pests, this one for deer etc". Stuff that legitely makes sense, but sometimes the guns will overlap a bit. Brings me to the pawn stars episode I just watched where the guy bought a replica (he thought it was real) old pistol, and the wife wouldn't take any more excuses for having it.

To add : I haven't yet gone deer hunting with an AR yet. I know quite a few hunters are moving to AR's for hunting, especially with rounds like the 6.8 available. I may have to give it a try. Anyone know the midwest areas that allow rifle hunting? Where I normally go it's sluggers only. May have to make a road trip and try something new out.

Dionysusigma
February 5, 2011, 10:53 PM
Why I have them in the first place:
Once went through a tough time where I needed a rifle and didn't have one. Never again.

Why I have more than one:
I actually enjoy building, tuning, restoring, and customizing them maybe a little more than I do shooting them. 'Course, I do those things with other fine mechanical devices as well, but still...

Their primary purpose:
Peace of mind. Two-fold, as aforementioned.

CHALK22
February 6, 2011, 12:04 AM
I built mine primarily for a varminter. A 55g V-max or Barnes VG tend to do some damage on the gophers around here. I won't really say SD/HD, as I think a rifle round is not what you want to be shooting around house/neighborhood. I'll use SD pistol rounds for that. Although I will say there is definitly a "pucker factor" if you were to have to brandish an AR in SD. Friends and family's jaws still drop when I pull that thing out sometimes...

"what the hell is that?!?!"
"what do you need that for?!"
"are you a terrorist?!?!"

And then I let them shoot it, and it is nothing but smiles and requests for more full mags.....

millertyme
February 6, 2011, 12:21 AM
Mine is almost entirely devoted to eye candy at the moment since there isn't a reasonably-priced range I can shoot it at nearby. However, there will come a time when I relocate to a state with open, public land that I can shoot to my heart's content and when that day comes, I will kill as much paper and as many aluminum cans I can afford ammo for.

john5036
February 6, 2011, 02:45 AM
I'm saving up for an AR right now...

1. I need a camping/hiking buddy for my pistol.
2. SHTF.
3. Home defense... the pistol will ensure I get to this gun, however.

Other reasons include: Collecting, and my belief that everyone should have/train on their nation's battle rifle...and of course, zombies.

Pete D.
February 6, 2011, 06:52 AM
AR. Mine is sporting goods, pure and simple.
Colt Match Target HBar. For Highpower Service Rifle match shooting.
Added a NM rear sight. Will float the barrel.
Pete

henschman
February 7, 2011, 01:06 AM
I guess mine is more for offense... I am more a fan of the 12 gauge for home defense.

Of course the only time I would ever use a rifle in an offensive way would be in defense against those who are threatening my liberty, so I guess you could say it's a defensive weapon.

I prefer a .30 cal battle rifle for such a role, but I like to have an AR for ammo/magazine/parts commonality with the main rifle used by the police and military in this country. I don't like the 5.56 round, but I like to keep a rifle around in that caliber because I want to have one set up like I prefer that uses the same round they do.

Good to see that there are others on here who recognize the obligation of free men to stand ready to defend their liberty from anyone who might attempt to deny it to them.

HJ857
February 7, 2011, 09:47 AM
Two gun and three gun competitions first and foremost. I'd use them for home defense if I had to.

husker
February 7, 2011, 03:51 PM
My Colt is a loner rifle for the guy that doesn't own a rifle ,but wants to go coyote hunting with me. The first year I had it,I did take it target shooting a lot. but not so much any more. So I threw some glass on it this winter & have been letting others use it.
Their are no Coyotes in eastern Nebraska any more. So its not getting shot either.:banghead:

W.E.G.
February 7, 2011, 04:23 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/competitons/CampPerryTower.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/targets/240far.jpg

txhoghunter
February 7, 2011, 04:27 PM
defense and the occasional hog

bryank30
February 7, 2011, 06:56 PM
Shooting off the Rest and Bag at the range and plinking can's and turtles, any wild animal that makes the unfortunate mistake of moving.. LOL

20'' national match hbar, timney trigger and floated stainless barrel (under factory handguards) National match carry handle and KNS front sight post.. High Twist Barrel 1:7.7

zstephens13
February 7, 2011, 07:53 PM
Being awesome.

sappyg
February 7, 2011, 09:11 PM
My primary AR use is for range and fun. I really do get a smile everytime i yank the trigger.
yank may actually be an understatement but it hits ok for me. the rest of the time it lives in a closet minding it's business. I guess it's purpose for me is flat-out entertainment. these dayes it's cheaper than going to the movies.

Rshooter
February 8, 2011, 12:33 PM
Mine is for nostalgia and fun. I built the lower and bought the upper in standard 20 inch A2 disposition. I like to plink and would use the rifle for zombies if they ever show up.

ilove2shoot
February 8, 2011, 12:54 PM
gotta say, I am along the lines of what Dionysusigma said. I have as much for building, creating testing, planning and loading for as anything. I have a couple for each catergory. I have from 15lb lead sleads to 5 1/2" Kiss ligh weight rifles, pistol caliber plinkers that are Scary quiet with handloads, to long range rigs, 3 gun setups, to things I build just because I wanted a AR15 rifle with wood furniture (ok, 2).......

JoelSteinbach
February 8, 2011, 01:05 PM
A4 plinking
M16 Collecting

If you enjoyed reading about "What is your AR's primary purpose?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!