Game not listed in the above sticky

PDA

Tilos
August 21, 2010, 06:01 PM
I have read about "Speed Steel" matches but cannot find any description for them.

Is "Speed Steel" just another name for something else or a completely different game than those listed in the above sticky?:confused:

Thanks,
Tilos

If you enjoyed reading about "Game not listed in the above sticky" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R. Deckard
August 21, 2010, 09:20 PM
I would think it may be another name for "Steel Challenge"

Deckard

Sunray
August 21, 2010, 11:16 PM
I think the Steel Challenge was the Bianchi Cup, at one time. I believe the NRA took it over and changed the name. Assorted steel plates you knock over as fast as you can, as I recall. Seems to me there are revolver and pistol competitions so revolver shooters aren't shooting against 'race guns'. That never bothered Miculek much though. All those kind of shooting games are great fun.

1SOW
August 21, 2010, 11:47 PM
As the guys above said, I think it's basically Steel Challenge; but there may be some minor rule, scoring or gun class differences.

Here in TX, we have "American Action Shooting Association" that shoots a steel-challenge type of match; but sometimes adds colored chloroplast targets (red=no shoot,white=1 shot, blue=2 shots, yellow=3shots)and has a little movement. It's scored "time only" with many of the USPSA rules. We also shoot various plates, gongs, poppers, plate racks and duck racks, and have shootouts, showdowns etc.

Tilos
August 21, 2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the responses:
I compete in Steel Challenge but have read speed steel described differently on another site where I'm not member.

I may join there to ask about it "over there".
I'll do some more searches.
Thanx
Anyone else?

9mmepiphany
August 22, 2010, 01:10 AM
I think the Steel Challenge was the Bianchi Cup, at one time. I believe the NRA took it over and changed the name. Assorted steel plates you knock over as fast as you can, as I recall.

That is an accurate description of the Steel Challenge...but it was never the Bianchi Cup (which is now call Action Pistol by the NRA). The Steel Challenge, the Bianchi Cup and the USPSA Nationals used to be the Triple Crown of handgun shooting (this was before the Masters)

Steel Challenge is a pure speed shoot. All targets are steel plates or panels, there is no minimum power factor, they use specially lightened guns and you get 5 runs on each stage (you get to throw out the slowest)

The Bianchi Cup was an accuracy game with time limits. It is shot on a "tombstone" shaped target nicknamed "R2D2". It was made up of the Plates (racks of steel plates), the Mover (target ran across the line of fire) and the Practicals (best characterized by the barricades). It had a power factor of the .38spl ball loading and was originally ruled by DA revolvers (fired DAO even out to the 50 yard line), until gunsmiths figured out how to shroud the slide of a semi-auto pistol. The winner was usually determined by "X" count (the top shooters shot the course clean)

Hoser
August 22, 2010, 11:35 AM
At Steel Challenge matches you do *not* knock down the steel. All you have to do it hit/nick it. If you knock over a SC plate, either your ammo or the target stand have issues.

SC does not have a minimum power factor, but does have a minimum velocity to ensure bullet disintegration.

The plate rack portion at the Bianchi Cup uses plate racks with falling steel.

9mmepiphany
August 22, 2010, 12:04 PM
My confusion when typing showed...i'll correct it

Tilos
August 22, 2010, 02:41 PM
I remember now, after searching, were I heard "Speed Steel" mentioned and discussed.
It is at a club I had recently belonged to, Tri-County in Portland Or.:o

http://www.orss.org/

It appears to be like Steel Callenge.

ah, never mind:uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Game not listed in the above sticky" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!