sharps carbine markings

PDA

snapper298
August 21, 2010, 11:01 PM
I have aquired an 1863 sharps carbine from a dear friend who passed away, it is in great condition and fully functions. The question I have is about a cartouche on the stock it it "9thCA" the reason I am so curious is that I live in Tampa FL, and the elderly gentleman I recieved it from had an auto shop in an old area of town where a historical marker shows where the Buffalo Soldiers Encamped prior to shipping out to Cuba for the battle of Kettle Hill, was wondering if those markings could be for the 9th cavalry, any information would be great, thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "sharps carbine markings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
August 21, 2010, 11:21 PM
An 1863 Sharps would have been long replaced with a Trapdoor carbine by 1898. Even in the 9th Cav. Mind you, that doesn't mean it isn't a 9th Cav. carbine.
These guys might be able to give you good info. No Sharps carbines listed on the site though.
http://www.9thcavalry.com/index2.htm

Tommygunn
August 21, 2010, 11:57 PM
IIRC many states in the Civil War raised cavalry units and would have applied ##s to them.
"9th Cavalry" doesn't mean "U.S. Army 9th Cavalry" -- necessarily.

If you enjoyed reading about "sharps carbine markings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!