Impulse buy, Beretta Storm Carbine, ???

PDA

usp9
August 22, 2010, 10:20 PM
Pure impulse. It looks so cute.

A Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine, in decent shape, 2 mags, case, cheap red dot scope, sling and 150 rounds of 9mm Federal ammo. Wasn't looking for one, but this one fell in front of me for $450. It sounded too good to pass on.

Was my gun buyers intuition accurate? They seem like a fun gun with no real purpose in life but amusement.

Did I do good, or did I just impulsively waste $450? :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Impulse buy, Beretta Storm Carbine, ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wriggly
August 22, 2010, 10:28 PM
You did good. They are a good carbine. I would have snapped it up too.

lebowski
August 22, 2010, 10:30 PM
A friend brought one to the range once, and my first impression was that it was a silly looking, stupid purchase.

Then I shot it. I have to say, I found it to be an extremely easy carbine to shoot quickly and accurately at common self defense distances (< 25 yards, and as short as 10yrds). I didn't shoot it at long distances, but I found that shooting it at these close ranges, offhand, it was very easy to put up good groups consistently. I put up better groups at close range than I do with my M4, which I have considerably more trigger time with.

I do think it has a purpose, it's fun to shoot at the range, and it would make an excellent home defense choice for a lot of people, particularly those who are either recoil sensitive and/or would like to have ammo commonality with their handguns.

CrazyWella
August 23, 2010, 07:58 PM
you got a killer deal!

Enachos
August 23, 2010, 08:20 PM
I wish I can come up on a deal like that! If it was chambered in .40 that would be a hell of a deal for me and I wouldn't hesitate to snatch it up! Good buy though!

desidog
August 23, 2010, 08:59 PM
Good work!

I'm a huge fan of my CX4, especially the ability to set it up lefty. It's the best semi-auto gun for a lefty i know. And it uses my 92FS's magazines.

The only complaint i've heard of is about the trigger. There is an upgrade out there, but it's expensive. I haven't bothered with mine. It works well once you get the feel of it. I also might have gone with a .40S&W for a little added punch, but the 9mm hollow point defensive rounds get the job done on varmints and delicious bunnies.

Shooting downhill maybe 10 degrees we were breaking CMUs at 200 yards with mine last time i had it out. It works very well on coyotes too. I have a Streamlight with a laser on the front of mine, which is a good move for anything close in low-light, because the short range sight is not nearly as big as an A2 0-200 sight. Also, you can fold down the sights, which is nice when i run my night vision scope on it.

You'll be pleased. Good pick-up.

Come back and give us a range report with some pictures.

Cheers, Dd

Ike R
August 23, 2010, 09:03 PM
Those run about 650 around here, you did great, much jelousy in my veins now.

bannockburn
August 23, 2010, 09:26 PM
usp9

Sounds like you got a great deal on it. I had a Sterling MK. VI semi-auto carbine years ago, and while it didn't serve any real tactical purpose, it was a lot of fun to shoot. Went through a lot of boxes of WWB to keep those mags loaded, but in pure plinking value, it was worth it. Enjoy your new CX4 Storm.

Mr.Davis
August 23, 2010, 09:49 PM
Those run about 1650 around here, you did great, much jelousy in my veins now.

I hope you're not in the USA...gunbroker and Buds regularly have them new for around or under $700 shipped.

Hagen442
August 24, 2010, 12:43 AM
Great Buy

Balrog
August 24, 2010, 12:48 AM
I wish Beretta would get rid of the terrible thumbhole stock and put a collapsible stock on instead.

rangerruck
August 24, 2010, 01:32 AM
you did very good; see if it has the little built in rail extension(s) up front, and also see if you can make the mag release/ bolt ejection ambidextrious.
Would be very cool if so.
I know a couple if police agencies have switched to that and berettas, the keep mags the same. I would say for a 9mm carbine, it is as good as it gets, unless you can afford to pick up an h/k carbine of some type.

redbullitt
August 24, 2010, 01:32 AM
I think it needs a suppressor lol. It would have followed me home too; no worries

usp9
August 24, 2010, 08:17 AM
you did very good; see if it has the little built in rail extension(s) up front, and also see if you can make the mag release/ bolt ejection ambidextrious.
Would be very cool if so.

There is the extendable rail on the front. I discovered that it extendes or hides by pushing in on the sling attachment pin. The rifle came set up for left ejection, which I'd like to change back to righthand. There was a piece in the box that at first puzzled me, but turned out to be the lefthanded mag ejector pin.

I looked up a manual on line. The only thing I didn't get, besides the manual, is the sight tool. The online manuals are missing some reference pictures, so I will wait for a new manual from Beretta before changing the ejection.

Yes, a suppressor would be nice.

Here is what I bought plus the case. The mags I'm guessing aren't the original mags. That's a Tapco Silver Antler 1X30 red dot on top, good enough to have some fun with.

What is the part to the right of the mags? It's apparent is fits into the mag well, but what is it's purpose? Some kind of adaptor?
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/BerettaCXStorm006.jpg

Ike R
August 24, 2010, 08:37 AM
If I am not mistaken thats an adapter for px-4 storm mags, BUT I could be mistaken.

desidog
August 24, 2010, 11:09 AM
There was a thread a while back in which i wrote up swapping sides. see post #4 in particular.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=533777

Is that thing to the right of your mags some kind of mag loader? i don't think i've encountered any 9mm stripper clips, ever. Probably a mag converter as mentioned above; whatever it is, my set-up has been fine without it.

usp9
August 24, 2010, 12:06 PM
desidog, Thanks. Is there any problem with having the charging handle on the left and ejection to the right? The two action seem to be independent.

SuperNaut
August 24, 2010, 12:11 PM
Yep that's the magwell adapter. It should say right on it which mags it is meant for.

jakk280rem
August 24, 2010, 12:22 PM
the charging handle swaps over with no tools. seperate the two halves like you were going to dissasemble. when the two halves are several inches apart, pull the bolt to the rear untill the charging handle stops the bolt travel to the rear. remove the charging handle from the side you don't want it in and install it in the side you do. reassemble the rifle.

you did good. mine was an impulse buy too.

p.s. i like the charging handle on the right side ala ak-47, so it doesn't dig into my gut when i have it slung.

EdLaver
August 24, 2010, 12:24 PM
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=105200&d=1252735119

I love mine, very accurate, more useful than just a range toy.

group17
August 24, 2010, 12:30 PM
"I wish Beretta would get rid of the terrible and put a collapsible stock on instead."

What like this?
http://a.imageshack.us/img819/8824/dsc03159i.jpg

How much money do you think ATI made ripping off the "terrible thumbhole stock" Beretta design so you could have a $250 Hi-point 995 /PX4 clone?

usp9
August 24, 2010, 12:36 PM
I just reversed the ejection, from left to right, but kept the bolt handle on the left, at least for now. That is certainly easy enough to change.

Gentlemen, thanks much for your help and comments... now to go shoot this puppy.

usp9
August 24, 2010, 03:35 PM
Shot this puppy!

Wow, that was fun. This is a interesting gun. The thumb hole can disappear as far as I'm concerned, but the rest of it is great. Once I got my $20 red dot scope tuned a bit better, I shot a decent 25 yard, 10 round group.

Then I pulled the target in to 12 yards and blasted away quick and furious. That's 25 rounds on the right hand target. I only put 70 rounds total down range, but it was enough to validate buying this gun. I'm a happy camper.:D

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/SormTarget001.jpg

darkfreedom
August 24, 2010, 09:53 PM
"How much money do you think ATI made ripping off the "terrible thumbhole stock" Beretta design so you could have a $250 Hi-point 995 /PX4 clone? "

I would say wayyy too much. I'm not a fan of the ATI stocks for HP carbines. I'm happy with the 995TS i have. It's not exactly stock anymore (part of the fun of an HP is customizing and making it unique) but I didn't try to make it look like something else...

Boomie
August 24, 2010, 10:26 PM
USP9, where in Northern Virginia did you find such a deal?

usp9
August 24, 2010, 11:30 PM
I watch a local Virginia only web site, created to assist gun owners buy and sell from each other. I've had good luck on it so far both selling and buying. There was another CX4 for sale there...

http://www.vaguntrader.com/view_forum.php?id=3

Here's the listing link, a local FTF buy only;
http://www.vaguntrader.com/view_topic.php?id=25452&forum_id=3&jump_to=135122#p135122

desidog
August 24, 2010, 11:34 PM
That charge handle is really light. There's no connection to ejection side, perhaps an imperceptible shift in accuracy, depending on the shooter, but i wouldn't loose sleep over that. I shoot lefty, so i run mine ejecting left with the handle on the right, that way my left never leaves the grip while my right loads and charges, and i work the bolt release with my left hand just by pushing up on the knuckle, that is the only non-ambi thing going, but it's just like most pistols so it's the same motions. I have my safety and mag catch swapped over to lefty too.

If you get on some sand bags or a little bipod, the bottom part of the thumbhole element in the stock works very well for hooking your offhand. I thin kthe stock has great ergonomics and don't mind the part that makes it a thumbhole, but it would be cool if there was an edition that had a pistol grip and a butt like an mg34. I don't wear body armor much, so a collapsible stock is not on my wish-list. On the CX4, you can get more stock inserts to make it longer, if you've got long arms like me. Proper length of pull helps accuracy a lot.

Boomie
August 25, 2010, 01:31 PM
I watch a local Virginia only web site, created to assist gun owners buy and sell from each other. I've had good luck on it so far both selling and buying.

Hmmm, must have missed that listing (or thought the pistol had to come with the carbine). You got a great deal there!

IdahoLT1
August 25, 2010, 05:03 PM
I got my CX4 when they first came out(00065x serial number) and paid $550 for it. I've had people offer me $700 for it but I just can't sell it knowing I would have to pay atleast that much if I wanted another one.

For $450, you got a killer deal. The gun is pretty accurate inside 100yds. I can frequently hit ground squirrels at 70yds with it. I load 90gr hornady xtp's for varmint use. It makes quite a "pop" when you hit them.

davehawes
November 29, 2010, 07:31 PM
I dont know what everyones problem is with the cx4 storm, I bought one almost 3 years ago and love it.
The fact that virtually everything can be swapped left or right to me is really cool. yea it looks like a damn space gun and would love to have a different stock, but I'll deal with that small issue.
I've had it setup with the ejection port on the left, charge hand on the right and vice versa. never had a problem with it. also I found that the mag release can be swapped to right or left side as well. took me awhile to figure that out. :cool:

ejfalvo
November 29, 2010, 07:40 PM
About 2 years ago I bought one in 45ACP. Love it. Shoots great, very accurate, no issues with FTF, FTE etc. I take it to the range every time I go. Its used as a HD loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. Only downside is on-board ammo limit is 8 rounds.

IMHO, you made a wise decision and purchase.

hounddog
November 30, 2010, 10:50 PM
I have one in 40. Very accurate. Mushy, heavy, long trigger. When you put a suppressor on it, it blows powder out the non ejecting side and onto your cheek, which is not pleasant. A piece of tape over it fixes that though.

Lightbringer
November 30, 2010, 11:28 PM
I picked up a .45 ACP version when they were brand new and love it to this day. Very nice carbine.

darkfreedom
November 30, 2010, 11:47 PM
If you ever get a chance, try a HP 995TS and see if you prefer that over the storm. They are similar in functionality, but the 995 is only about $250 NIB.

If you enjoyed reading about "Impulse buy, Beretta Storm Carbine, ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!