Humidity and Accuracy/Precision

PDA

52grain
August 22, 2010, 11:41 PM
It's pretty humid around here in the summer. The ballistics calculator that I normally use does not account for humidity. I was wondering if anyone knows how humidity affects POI and group size.

If you enjoyed reading about "Humidity and Accuracy/Precision" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
August 22, 2010, 11:46 PM
It effects my group size proporianlly in relation to the heat index. The less comfortable I am the larger my groups are.

When it's 80% and 104 outside and I have sweat running off my face onto the stock I'm doing no good, having no fun and ain't gonna bother going.

August 22, 2010, 11:50 PM
klineia, humidity has virtually no affect on a bullet in flight. Humid air is less dense than dry air but the difference in mass between 100% humid air and dry air is so small (less than 1% IIRC) as to be irrelevent to the bullet. However, as krochus mentioned, humidity may well affect the shooter which will probably effect group size but it doesn't bother the bullet.

:)

52grain
August 22, 2010, 11:50 PM
Krochus, I'm with you, it's definitely easier to shoot well when you're comfortable.

1858- thanks. I was hoping that I could blame it on physics.

If you enjoyed reading about "Humidity and Accuracy/Precision" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!