Marlin Contact details

PDA

Mono
August 23, 2010, 05:25 AM
Good day Gents

Do any of you guys maybe have an e-mail address of someone at the Marlin Rifle company. As some of you may know, my rifle's extracter broke twice already. Had it fixed, but the gunsmith could not tell me why it broke. I figured it out in the meantime. For those of you who don't know. I own a Marlin XL 7 30-06( supposedly a good rifle). I also handload my own ammo.
When I use factory ammo and full resize my cases, then the bullets get fed and extracted perfectly, but as soon as I only neck resize, the trouble starts.
Feeding is not as smooth anymore and extracting the case get tougher and sometimes I have to take a steel rod, insert in at the front of the barrel and force the case out( I have to do this otherwise the case extractor will break).

Some of my shooting buddies just gave me the advice that I must only full resize, but the older more experience men say that the rifle is not supposed to do that and that there is something wrong with the rifle and I tend to agree with them.

So if there is anyone out there that that can confirm that their MARLIN does not do the same as mine, please let me know and if there is someone with MARLIN's e-mail address, please let me have it.

kind regards
Mono

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Contact details" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneounceload
August 23, 2010, 08:48 AM
Here's some data:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/customersupport/repairs.asp

Start with the CS folks, maybe they can walk you through something over the phone

Uncle Mike
August 23, 2010, 12:05 PM
Marlin's probably going to tell you that your rifle was designed to use 'factory' SAAMI spec. ammo, and the use of 'reloads' will void your warranty!

The design of the extractor is not the heartiest, but it is not a puny weakling either!

I bet when Marlin loads standard, SAAMI spec. factory ammo into your rifle and 'tests' it, the rifle will preform perfectly, and so the answer to your problem will reflect.

Rough chambers sometimes cause your nightmare to exist, smooth out the rough spots and you may be cured! Now, this takes some finesse so as to not 'oversize' the chamber in any way!

As for the feeding issues, does the cartridge have trouble exiting the magazine, or does the trouble lye with the cartridge entering the chamber, or both?

Like I say, the internals of your Marlin was not designed for a cartridge as fat as a fired cartridge, but one that is to normal specs.

I do agree with you though, the rifle should fire 'neck sized only' ammo, but, things have change by today's standards. Maybe Marlins position on this will be that the chamber is 'closer' to minimum dimensions to provide superior accuracy with factory loaded ammunition, which is used by a greater number of shooters/hunters than reloaded ammunition is? Who knows.

Call Marlin, explain your problem, and see what they say! 1-800-544-8892

Good luck!

Captcurt
August 23, 2010, 04:30 PM
So I am not the only one to break one of these? I thought that it was just me and I haven't even shot the danged thing yet.:fire:

JoeMal
August 23, 2010, 04:39 PM
Question;

So you bought a recently new rifle, it broke, and you took it to a gunsmith? Why not back to the factory from the start?

Will Marlin even warrant a gun that has been 'touched' by other 'smiths now?

rcmodel
August 23, 2010, 04:50 PM
I thought that it was just me and I haven't even shot the danged thing yet.You mean to say you have broke two extractors without even firing it??

Then that raises the question of where you got the brass to neck-size if it wasn't fired in the Marlin??

YOU SIMPLY CANNOT neck-size brass out of another rifle and expect it to work right in a different one.

My advice would be to stop neck-sizing until you shoot the gun and get some brass out of it's chamber to neck-size.

Or, don't neck size at all.
You can load ammo just as accurate and more trouble-free by full length sizing it every time.

rc

Uncle Mike
August 23, 2010, 07:51 PM
I thought that it was just me and I haven't even shot the danged thing yet.

OK, game over, I'm going home! lol

Where you using someone else fired, un-sized brass(except for the neck sizing) in your rifle....!?! Say it ain't so!

Captcurt
August 23, 2010, 08:55 PM
Nope, ain't so. New Remington brass but I am ashamed to tell ya what I did.:uhoh:

Mono
August 24, 2010, 05:01 AM
Hi All

Thanks for all the advise, now to answer all the questions.
Uncle Mike: How do I smooth out the rough spots?
Yes, neck sized cartridges are tougher to feed an extract( but not all of
them)

Mono
August 24, 2010, 05:15 AM
Sorry, pressed the wrong button. previous post continued.
Uncle Mike: thanks for the info.
Captcurt: So what happened to your rifle?
Joemal: I bought the rifle(new) at the local gunshop. when it broke, i took it the shop owner and he sent it to his supplier. Gor it back, paid USD 100-00 too. 3 weeks later it broke again. Went to the supplier myself, had it fixed and did not pay didley squat.( got hosed by the gunshop owner). The supplier of the rifle is the local agent for Marlin and they have their own gunsmith. I did not know about the whole warranty thing cuz no-one told me about it. I don't actually care about the warranty, I just want to know that I won't blow my face up next time I pull the trigger.
RCMIKE: Both times the extractor broke was after the shot was fired. If the brass has not been in my rifle I full resize to bring it back to factory specs. All my brass get full sized before it goes in my rifle.
Just for the record I paid USD 1000-00 for the rifle.

rgds
The NECK

Mono
August 28, 2010, 05:16 AM
So I sent a mail to Remington and they say this
"Without full length resizing your cases, they are already over original specs. When fired again, they expand more. It’s putting too much stress on the extractors and breaking them. The cases must be full length sized and you may refer back to SAAMI specs for size specs www.saami.org We strongly factory ammo to avoid this issue all together"
So my personal opinion is that they are selling a below standard product and neglect to inform the clients that the product cannot do what other similar products do.
My plan of action is:
1. Put rifle on ground
2. Get into truck
3. back up over rifle
4. drive forward over the rifle
5. repeat step 3 & 4(multiple time)
6. pick up rifle
7. take rifle to dealer
8. tell dealer to shove it wher the sun don't shine.
9. drive to next gunshop
10.Buy 30-06 RUGER.

If ever one of you meet a Marlin rep, send him my regards

rgds
The Neck

Abel
August 28, 2010, 07:31 AM
Use only factory ammo. Easy fix.

Uncle Mike
August 28, 2010, 03:07 PM
Uncle Mike: How do I smooth out the rough spots?

Chamber reamer.... But, YOU do not do this, send the rifle back to Marlin!

So my personal opinion is that they are selling a below standard product and neglect to inform the clients that the product cannot do what other similar products do.

Look..your rifle was NOT designed to use, cycle, eject, fired, non-sized brass....end of it!

The Marlin X Series rifles are NOT below standard, in any way! And there is no need for Remington to warn of anything, there is nothing wrong or substandard in ANY way!!!

Most bolt rifles will not digest neck sized only brass either, the small percentage that will, certainly does not dictate the set standards for the rest of the rifles out there!

I bet you read somewhere that using 'neck sized only' brass for reloads enhance accuracy, it does, in SOME cases, but not on that particular rifle, the chamber is just too big to allow this.

Use factory ammo, or at least, fully sized reloads, loaded to SAAMI specs., and all will be in harmony!

Captcurt
August 28, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hey Mono,

I adjusted for LOA to match book max and then changed bullets. Speer has a different ogive so when I chambered a dummie round the cartridge was too long and jambed into the lands. When I tried to extract it the extractor broke. Totally my fault but the design is definately too flimsy. The engineers should know by now that they have to make it IDIOT PROOF.

Mono
September 7, 2010, 05:57 AM
Hi Uncle Mike

Will definately note do the chamber thing myself.
I understand that no rifle can't use brass that was first shot in other rifles and then go in your rifle, but all of the guys in our gun club only neck size. They do this to increase the life span of the brass. All of them bolt rifles.
I will however stop neck sizing. My opinion on the rifle is as follows:
1. Stock- Love it
2. Barrel- Love it
3. Trigger- LOVE IT
4. Magazine system- needs improvement
5. Bolt & parts- Needs major improvement

General I like the rifle. It just sucks that the extractor is so flimsy. I broke mine twice without much effort.

thanks for the help all of you.

rgds
The Neck

eastbank
September 7, 2010, 07:00 AM
when i started loading for a rem 760 pump i ran into the same problem, with neck sizing brass fired in the rifle, i picked up a set of small base resizing dies and the problem went away. but i never had a problem with the rem extractor breaking. alot can be said about the big extractor in the 98 mauser desing over the tiny ones used today. eastbank.

DANNY243
September 7, 2010, 08:01 AM
How about you neck size with a full length die? Works on my xs7 .243. I set all of my rifle dies (except .30-30) to resize neck diameter with minimal shoulder contact by extending the decapping pin and backing out the die. Make these adjustments permanent with a locking nut or thread locker so it is always in the same place. You'll have fireformed cases, extended brass life and minimal head space.

shootr
September 7, 2010, 08:14 AM
I neck-size reloads for all my bolt guns and have been doing so for years. Never any problems.

FWIW, my thought is that the Marlin is a price-point gun and compromises were made in its design and manufacture to reach the price-point. Perhaps finishing of the chamber is one such area and if that's the case, a good smith can take care of it for you.

OTOH were it mine, I think I would just full-length resize and be done with it. It likes in-spec ammo, so stick with that. My $ .02.

Brian Williams
September 7, 2010, 08:19 AM
Just how much are you extending the life of the brass, is it worth the hassle of having to deal with hard extraction and broken extractors. What are they getting more so in the life of each case, 2 extra reloads maybe? That would cost you pennies compared to the hassle of shooting neck-sized only reloads.

Brass is cheap, rifles are not.

DANNY243
September 7, 2010, 07:35 PM
I haven't had any extraction problems, got 6 reloads and counting on FC brass.

Mono
September 8, 2010, 02:47 AM
I've got no problem with doing full resize on all my brass. The thing that made me unhappy is the fact, that I wasted almost USD 1000 on repairs, research and equipment goes the Gunshop owner and the Marlin representative did not tell me that the rifle cannot take neck sized brass and after it broke they could not tell me why it broke.
I am gonna do further load development with the rifle, but I no longer have the needed trust in the rifle. Not becuase I think its a poor quality, but due to the fact that something already broke without any effort, so what else is flimsy. And I am certain there are a few guys who would feel the same way.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Contact details" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!