Is the rear trunion on my WASR-10 backing out?

PDA

migkillertwo
August 23, 2010, 02:36 PM
Alright, I've had this rifle for about 2 months, and have put about 150 rounds through it. So far the rifle has functioned flawlessly, but when I was cleaning my rifle I noticed something I have never noticed before. I dont know if it's because it really wasn't like this when I bought it or because I hadn't heard about this happening on aks until very recently.

So are some photos I took (face and t-shirt logo blocked because of paranoia)

Now I've heard of this happening on some rare century builds, but I have never heard of this happening on a WASR-10

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad271/migkillertwo/IMG0004.jpg?t=1282584951

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the rear trunion on my WASR-10 backing out?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fireman 9731
August 23, 2010, 02:43 PM
I see a slight gap between the wood and metal.

But that is par for the course for almost every Wasr I've seen.

migkillertwo
August 23, 2010, 02:46 PM
The gap has been there ever since I first removed the stock.

briansmithwins
August 23, 2010, 02:50 PM
There is supposed to be a small gap between the sides of the stock and the rear of the receiver. It keeps the stock from splitting and is correct.

If a AK is overgassed the bolt carrier can beat the rear trunnion out of the receiver, but you'll see that as lose rivets first. BSW

From a translated Sov armorer's manual I have:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/akstockgap.jpg

migkillertwo
August 23, 2010, 02:51 PM
So if the trunion is backing out, the rivets or the trunion should be loose?

Cuz right now they are solid as a rock.

Tommygunn
August 23, 2010, 08:16 PM
My WASR-10 is exactly like that and it is working fine. I think it's normal.
WASRs look like something cobbled up by a medeival plumber with a sledgehammer and an anvil for tools .... but they work.
The bad things were canted sights & gas tubes, but the new ones seem to be better.

benEzra
August 23, 2010, 09:30 PM
No, that's fairly normal. If the rear trunnion were loose, the stock and stock tang would wiggle in the receiver. If it's tight, you're good to go.

huduguru
August 23, 2010, 10:22 PM
Has anyone ever used those buffers on their AK? I know they make
some guns prone to malfunction but it seems the AK wouldn't be affected.

nalioth
August 23, 2010, 10:25 PM
Has anyone ever used those buffers on their AK? I know they make
some guns prone to malfunction but it seems the AK wouldn't be affected.Aftermarket buffers are a band-aid for another problem.

They create far more problems than they solve.

The AK is not immune to these problems.

benEzra
August 23, 2010, 11:28 PM
I have never heard of a civilian AK wearing out by loosening the rear trunnion (I'd think you'd wear out the barrel long before that happened), but I have heard of AK's jamming because a plastic buffer broke and the pieces prevented the bolt carrier group from cycling fully.

In my opinion, it's best to avoid aftermarket buffers for the AK and just make sure your recoil spring is good to go. If for some reason the bolt carrier seems to be whacking the rear trunnion too hard, think about replacing the recoil spring with a top-grade one instead.

WardenWolf
August 23, 2010, 11:31 PM
Nah, it's normal. An AK's stock fitting isn't an exact thing. My Saiga shotgun is like that after I changed the stock. Don't put a buffer in an AK. You'll only cause trouble and actually increase wear because you're causing earlier impacts due to the spacing.

WardenWolf
August 25, 2010, 01:45 AM
One thing I'd like to add, is that the AK is designed to allow a bit of variation in the stocks. Older AK stocks were wood, and wood expands, contracts, and varies quite a bit. Because of this, building it with too close precision is generally a very bad idea, particularly when you have a very good design that will anchor the stock well even if it doesn't fully bottom out in the receiver.

My Saiga .223 is a prime example of what happens when the rear tang is set up with too much precision. The newer Russian AK's are all built with identical synthetic stocks in mind, so they have a bit tighter tolerances in this regard. I tried to install a wood Romanian stock on it, and it bottomed out before the rear tang screw could align with the hole. I wound up milling the tang's screw hole a little larger with a Dremel so I could get the screw in.

Basically: don't worry if the stock to receiver fit isn't perfect. As long as both screws go in, you're good.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the rear trunion on my WASR-10 backing out?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!