What % of your rifles are complete ... rifle, optics, accessories, ammunition, etc?

PDA

August 23, 2010, 05:36 PM
How many rifles do you have that you can honestly say are 100% complete in terms of all of the things you have done or plan to do, both in terms of the rifle itself and the ammunition for that rifle? For example, at one end of the scale is a totally factory rifle with iron sights in which you only shoot factory ammunition. You've picked one factory load that you like, you've sighted in the rifle, you have no plans to change anything ... you're done. At the other end of the scale is a custom rifle or factory rifle that you have lots of plans for that may include some or all of the following:

Optics
Optics mount
Back up sights
Stock
Barrel
Bolt
Trigger
Magazines
Finish
Sling
Reloads
Factory ammunition

I don't have a huge collection of rifles (19 at present) but I can't honestly say that any of them are done :( . I'll readily admit that I wish I had some that were finished to the extent that any or all upgrades were completed and I had loads dialed in, either reloads of factory, with no plans to do any more load development for different bullets, powder, primers etc. All I would have to do is make up (or buy) some ammunition and shoot.

So be honest, where do you stand? Feel free to provide details.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "What % of your rifles are complete ... rifle, optics, accessories, ammunition, etc?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KW
August 23, 2010, 05:46 PM
0% as of right now. I've got one AR that still needs backup irons (has optics) and could use some other slight tweaks. I've got an AR lower that I built earlier this year, but it still needs an upper. And I've got a sporterized Enfield that I'm going to put back to it's issued configuration as a project for this winter. But hey, isn't the tinkering a big part of the fun?

Mags
August 23, 2010, 05:57 PM
Just got a new AR that needs a scope, sling attachments, and a red dot.

August 23, 2010, 06:01 PM
But hey, isn't the tinkering a big part of the fun?

I agree with you, but at the same time, it'd be nice to have some order amidst the chaos! I'm trying to get a couple of rifles DONE ... just to give me hope and a sense of what it could be like to enjoy a rifle for what it is rather than what it could be. This isn't a complaint, just an observation and I'm genuinely interested to see how many members face a similar situation to me.

SaxonPig
August 23, 2010, 06:04 PM
When I was young I would have long term projects. Now I am not interested in such things. I either buy the gun complete or dump it in the lap of a gunsmith with instructions to finish it ASAP.

August 23, 2010, 06:07 PM
When I was young I would have long term projects. Now I am not interested in such things. I either buy the gun complete or dump it in the lap of a gunsmith with instructions to finish it ASAP.

And the ammunition?

kis2
August 23, 2010, 06:08 PM
dangerous thread... surely you can't ask us all to be honest with ourselves about our gun lust?!

well, the 700 is getting a new stock that is being made now, I have to finish working up handloads, but besides that (and routine maintenance upgrades like a new barrel when this one is shot out), its done. but for the poll, not done yet.

my SKS is done. tried the accessorie route there, but I like it plain jane.

old .22 is staying the same.

mosin needs a PU scope.

shotgun needs to be bought, but doesnt fall in the rifle category anyhow.

so a little less than half? 40%? and I'm a guy who likes them pretty stock.

don't judge me :rolleyes: oh and if my wife sees this, it's more like 80%.

ScratchnDent
August 23, 2010, 06:15 PM
90% of mine are complete. Of course, they are mostly mil-surps, so beyond a good cleaning and working up a couple good loads, I don't do anything to them.

I have a Savage bolt action in .308 that wants a nicer scope one of these days, and may be re-barreled in .260 when I eventually shoot this one out, but otherwise has been serving me very well as-is for several years.

Part of me is tempted to trick out my 10/22, but it also serves it's purpose very well as it sits now with just a set of Tech-Sights and some internal fluff and buffing.

I have been formulating a plan for a precision rifle in 30-06 AI that could be a long term, ongoing project.

taliv
August 23, 2010, 07:12 PM
Mine are prob 80%. All are finished except maybe four. My daughters ar which I'm still duracoating and needs optic. My brown gun which needs optic. My green gun which needs trigger and optic. And an ar that is just a box of parts at the moment and I really haven't decided what to do with it

esheato
August 23, 2010, 07:38 PM
I said 80% as well. Not for a lack of parts as most are built the way I want them.

Load development, on the other hand, never ends.

Of course, I've got 4 more ARs in various configurations rumbling around in my head...just waiting on the right moment to jump in.

EDIT: The good thing about custom guns is you order it and wait a year or so. That gives me plenty of time to get the rest of the gear in order: dies, brass, bullets, optics, rings, bases, etc

Nugilum
August 23, 2010, 07:39 PM
I like Milsurps. Therefore most don't do the scope option.

Out of the few that I have (those that didn't go down in that f%@#&^* boat) are done. I've made sure I have the accessories that were issued with that rifle (sling, bayonet, magazines, etc.).

I've got 1 AR I'm still playing with. I'm debating on either an EOtech or Aimpoint and a sling. That's it.

Geno
August 23, 2010, 07:45 PM
It's nice to walk into a firearms store, look around for an hour, and feel zero urge to purchase anything in the house. Seriously. :cool:

Geno

Ike R
August 23, 2010, 08:06 PM
I need folding back up irons for 2 of my AR's and my hunter needs a big scope upgrade (though I am not sure why hehe)

Would like to get a green laser for my hunter as well, cause it's is red, and green is the new pink or something, so I heard.

jleyring
August 23, 2010, 08:14 PM
Im currently building a M4 and all i have is the lower recevier built. Im changing my opitics and mounting on my AR. I hope that with my guns that there are always things that I have to do with them. it makes them more fun in my mind. My guns are hobbies so I dont ever want to be done.

52grain
August 23, 2010, 08:15 PM
Complete? How much money do you think I have? Let's see. I have a Remington 700 that needs a scope and trued action. It has the three way adjustable trigger. I had a smith adjust the trigger and it breaks like glass.

Then I have another Remington 700 that has a scope, but needs a trigger and trued action. It has the X-Mark trigger which is pretty much abismal. (Why on earth would Remington have switched triggers to something worse and then try to market it as something better? Anyone who knows what they're doing or is willing to pay a smith to adjust it, is way better off with the old style trigger.)

Then I have a Savage Mark II FVT that needs a new stock (and would have one if Sharp Shooter Supply would ever get things done) and a handstop. Then it will be done.

The Garand is finished ... except that I want to get an adjustable gas plug.

The SA-22 needs some bluing touched up.

Another Savage Mark II that just needs to go away.

Wow. I think that I have a problem.

TIMC
August 23, 2010, 08:36 PM
Up until recently I had a lot of projects needing to be completed. I decided this summer was the time to get them all done. I had several rifles get new stocks and Harris bipods 5 guns got new optics and 2 rifles got new triggers. I also refinished the stocks on a couple BP rifles and replaced what needed fixing on them. Now for the most part they are all complete and I need range time!

Hatterasguy
August 23, 2010, 09:37 PM
100%, I mostly buy milsurps. Other than a sling or bayonet their isn't much you do or add to them. Although my FN49 could use a bit of resto work at some point to make it perfect.

New stuff I don't really tune, I buy them the way I want them.

jbkebert
August 23, 2010, 09:37 PM
Biggest problem is with my Encore rifle. I currently have 9 barrels I do have QR bases for each barrel and only 3 scopes for them. Nice thing about the Leupold QR system that is all of the Encore bases are the same. So I can move scopes withot ever having to worry about moving scope rings. So I can flop back and forth without changing sight height eye relief or anything like that. I have loads worked up for each barrel for a particular scope and have several rounds loaded for everything. Just can't afford 6 new Leupold scopes at the moment.

52grain
August 23, 2010, 09:46 PM
I forgot, my Garand needs a bayonet.

dubbleA
August 23, 2010, 10:51 PM
It's a never ending vicious cycle with me, just sent these parts to the smith today. When this one is done, another idea will pop up and on and on.....

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/dubbleA/Rifles%201/223AIbuild.jpg

skiking
August 23, 2010, 11:05 PM
Every one of my firearms has some little thing that I would like to do to it, whether it is a new stock, grips, scope, trigger, or a little bit of everything. Most of the time, if a gun is functional, a new one is higher on the priority list than fixing it up just how I want it.

Geno
August 23, 2010, 11:36 PM
dubbleA:

Now you're thinking like me. What I see in the gun store bores me. I'm thinking custom-built, using an A.I. 1.5 stock, a Surgeon receiver, a 1.5 pound Timney trigger, a STS Krieger barrel. Of course, I have yet to decide on a chambering, but have been pondering the possibility of a .260 Rem.

Then, I start to ponder, would that custom-built rig shoot better than these 300 yard shots? I end up having to conceded that, perhaps|likely, not much better. Since I punch woodchucks and the like, I just can't see spending the money...yet. :uhoh: Hey, a man has to have a long-term dream to keep his heart pumping.

But, as I said, I have utterly lost interest in anything I see in the stores.

Geno

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab157/ERS2010/100_0824-2.jpg

gun guy
August 24, 2010, 12:27 AM
Guns are tools, if i decide there is another relm of shooting i don't have the proper tool for, i study the situation, decide on the weapon, and accessories, purchase those items, take the weapon home, clean it, add the needed parts, and it's off to the range. At the end of the day, when that weapon has been sighted in, recleaned, and i put it in the safe, it is ready to go to do the job intended. I have begun to realize, I dont have an elephant rifle :eek: what if i should discover at 2am i suddenly need to hunt an elephant? This is my most recent quandry.

WVMountainBoy
August 24, 2010, 12:31 AM
I don't usually buy project rifles. If I buy a rifle that is going to take a scope I usually get the scope same shopping trip, along with the mounts for said scope. I only have one rifle that has a sling, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay that way. I've also found my favored rounds for all of my current owns.

Heavies
August 24, 2010, 12:53 AM
I don't have a huge collection of rifles (18 at present)

Come on now guy. I wish I could have that many...:p My wife would have a fit.

I only got two right now, and one on the way. I still gotta explain why I need so many guns.:D

I gotta say my ought six was almost there, with loads and all, But Hornady is having some kind of issues supplying bullets right now. I'm all out of the ones I need so that is now out the door. I had other things in mind for this rifle too, but that's not gonna happen any time soon.

The rifle on order is taking painfully slow, but I hope when it gets here I'll have all my ducks in a row, and I can complete that one quickly.:rolleyes:

My newest .22lr gave me the runaround. I found the ammo that'll shoot the lights out. It was OK for a few hundred rounds, now it like them so much it won't spit out the spent case! :eek: Back to the drawing board on that one too.

I voted 0% and working on it, but now, come to think about it, I think it's a never ending party.

If it was ever complete, it would be boring!:cool:

Ignition Override
August 24, 2010, 02:08 AM
100%, consists only of rifles+ammo and simple Lee reload. gear. Have never hunted.

The interest in guns only began late in life ('07), have never had any gear, 'cause I don't believe in altering military surplus rifles. Far too many have been messed up (permanently altered).
Therefore I don't know how to 'dial in a scope', as my main goal is to learn how to shoot well with iron sights.

blackops
August 24, 2010, 02:50 AM
1858, only 18? :what:That's almost asking for attention. Just to let you know the common man doesn't own 18 rifles.:)

I voted for completely done, but I was basing my answer off if I literally had all my rifles fully completed. I have glass mounts etc for every rifle, but ultimately it's not want to have.

I think all of the new products coming out play a major role. It seems with technology new shapes and forms appear. New *looks* that we find appealing catch our eye and that is an influence in itself.

It’s also the individual. You can find many guys who are content with what they have and don’t “need” or “want” anything else and there is nothing wrong with that. Then you have your other guys that have a little more ambition behind it and are constantly trying to improve not only themselves, but their equipment.

dubble, all of your rigs are just sick. Plain and simple.

gun guy
August 24, 2010, 03:47 AM
18 weapons is a good start, but it's not a jaw dropping collection. That one dude in Az with like 450 lugers that exhibits them at gunshows, that's jaw dropping. The family collection is in the neighborhood of 60+ weapons, that's barely hobby class. Split between my brother and I for custody. Add a dozen or so personal weapons apiece, it's a nice start. My Son is set to inherit it all. He will have a decent base to begin to build on.

Afy
August 24, 2010, 09:17 AM
My Win Mod 70 needs a scope or needs to go away. I no longer have much use for it, and it hasnt been shot in the last 18 months. Just dont see the point of a .222 Rem Mag any longer.

doc2rn
August 24, 2010, 12:54 PM
Of my 6 only my 700 varmint needs a trigger job and new optics, everything else is just how I want it.

SaxonPig
August 24, 2010, 01:28 PM
1858- Last time I checked I had about 22,000 rounds on the shelf. Lowest count is 2 boxes of 380 (which gets shot very little). All the other guns seem to have plenty on hand.

August 24, 2010, 01:49 PM
1858, only 18? That's almost asking for attention. Just to let you know the common man doesn't own 18 rifles.

blackops, my mistake, it's 19 since I forgot to include a complete AR lower but honestly, many of the "common" men I know have considerably larger collections than me ... by "considerably" I mean as much as 10X. Your comment about dubbleA is +110% ... his collection is impressive, as is SaxonPig's. I always enjoy the photos that they post.

This poll is interesting and surprising with about 50% being done with their rifles ... I'm happy for you guys.

It's nice to walk into a firearms store, look around for an hour, and feel zero urge to purchase anything in the house. Seriously.

This comment struck a chord with me ... I hope to get to that point one day.

August 24, 2010, 01:53 PM
Last time I checked I had about 22,000 rounds on the shelf. Lowest count is 2 boxes of 380 (which gets shot very little). All the other guns seem to have plenty on hand.

If you don't own a gun shop all I can say is OUTSTANDING!! I want to be just like you when I grow up .... :D I have enough components to assemble 20,000 rounds (maybe quite a bit more ... ok .... a lot more) but if I started now I probably wouldn't be done by Christmas.

EdLaver
August 24, 2010, 02:07 PM
Mainly I need performance ammo, not bulk FMJ. I have been meaning to get around to trying some gear options like carry bags and chest rigs. A couple pistols that need night sights, and an ar10 waiting for a timney trigger. So yeah 80% I'd say.

waterhouse
August 24, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'm at slightly over 50%. I still need to cut/thread a few .22s and a .17 and I'm going to switch optics on one AR and a barrel on another AR.

possum
August 24, 2010, 04:42 PM
my ar has everything that i need and want on it.

I have always wanted to keep my ak bone stock like something i would pick up in baghdad. later if i get another ak i might get an optic and rail forend, but i am 100% complete on the guns that i have now.

more importanlty than gear and "stuff" i have training on my weapon systems, the ak is my weak point, howevr the ar/m4 is my main means of fighting so it is only right that i have the most training on that when it comes to long guns.

Zerodefect
August 24, 2010, 05:02 PM
My Ar's have evolved with my skills over time. One evolved for CQB, one for outdoors, and one as an SPR.

I used to shoot obsolete M4 Kiss type relics. Now only my 6920 lacks FF rails for an improved grip stance.

So while all of mine are complete, except for a P90 waiting for an optic upgrade, they'll be changed again when newer tech comes out.

Geno
August 24, 2010, 09:23 PM
1858:

I used to have a whole "collection". Half of the firearms were mil surps, and half were modern firearms. Of the modern firearms, I kept having to rob a scope from Peter, to use on Paul. It became very tiring.

I soon figured-out that the real cost of a firearm was the after-the-purchase: an upgraded stock, upgraded trigger, picatinny rail, mounts and of course a good scope. Then, add stock ammo and actually shooting. The rifle is the least of the cost.

So, I decided to cut way back on quantity, and go way up on quality. I'd rather have 12 well-equipped long-guns, than 50 ill-equipped long-guns. Every time I look at rifles, I think to myself, $1,000.00 is just to get it home. To get it properly equipped, add an additional $1,500.00 or more. That cures what "ails" me.

Geno

esheato
August 24, 2010, 11:38 PM
I soon figured-out that the real cost of a firearm was the after-the-purchase

Without a doubt! ARs are the worst. Truly precision optics are another bottomless pit. My 338 LM is a bruiser...brass alone adds up realllly fast.

So, I decided to cut way back on quantity, and go way up on quality.

I did that years ago and haven't looked back since. I've got probably 21k in 4 rifles, not including reloading gear...that's straight guns, mounts and optics. Beats the hell out of 15 Rem/Win/Savages IMHO.

blackops
August 25, 2010, 02:15 AM
blackops, my mistake, it's 19 since I forgot to include a complete AR lower but honestly, many of the "common" men I know have considerably larger collections than me ... by "considerably" I mean as much as 10X.

Well it sounds like I'm hanging out with the wrong crowd. lol

Let's see how many rifles the "common man" owns. I'm going to guess around 7. I'm starting a new thread for this one with a poll. Should be interesting.

TheCol.U.S.M.C.
August 25, 2010, 02:30 AM
Ohh I voted 0% which is true mainly because most of my rifles ar just parts kits and AR Lowers I bought real cheap 4 years ago I see a VERY LONG road ahead of me just to turn all these parts into rifles I guess I will worry about the extras for the rifles later

bwsmith2850
August 25, 2010, 02:45 AM
I'm happy with the setups on my rifles for the moment. I keep toying with the idea of a scout scope for the Russian but will likely leave it original with the irons. Shotguns and pistols? That's another story.

Girodin
August 25, 2010, 09:15 PM
I'm probably closer to the 0% than the 20%. There is probably a hunting rifle or two that I do not have plans to change. Apart from that there is always something I would like to add or modify or change. Some are active projects others are just things that if I didn't have any other active projects would become one.

Lately though, I have been buying fewer new guns and putting that money towards setting up the ones I have just the way I like. To get there I need to buy at least 3 more T1 micro aimpoints, and a few suppressors, among other things. I also have started acquiring the parts to add a folding stock to one of my AKs. I'm also starting to get serious about adding an AR style safety to one of my saiga 12s. That will require removing the side scope mount which will in turn force my hand on refinishing. Like I said it never seems to end. The project and doing the work is part of the fun though.

engineerbrian
August 25, 2010, 09:23 PM
if i ever completed them, i'm sure i'd buy another gun that needed fixn' and we'd start all over again. I think boat owners and gun owners have a lot in common!

Girodin
August 25, 2010, 09:28 PM
I soon figured-out that the real cost of a firearm was the after-the-purchase:

That is the truth. Take for example the Draco SBR project that I have been researching and planing for some time.

The gun can be had for $350 or less.

The tax stamp is $200
The pistol grip I want is $20
The ultimak gas tube $88
The ultimak handguard is $200
The folder mechanism is $70
AR buffer tube $20
CTR stock $75
ASAP sling mount $25
MS2 Sling $27
AR style safety $100
Flash hider $80
Suppressor $800 plus $200
Aimpoint T1 micro $550

Yeah the purchase price of the gun is just the begining, particularly if one is going to run a nice optic on it.

I'd rather have 12 well-equipped long-guns, than 50 ill-equipped long-guns.

I too am getting more to the point where I wont to have a few guns set up just the way I wont as opposed to simply adding more guns to the safe. There are still a lot of guns I'd like to add to the safe though.

Geno
August 25, 2010, 10:14 PM
Girodin:

Sounds about right. :D Here is a sample of a couple varmint rigs, and I haven't even added any action truing, etc. Given the accuracy I already get, they didn't need it.

And don't even get me started about the cost of enough Lapua brass, Lapua projectiles, Varget powder, and primers for the first 1,000 hand loads. Add this whole mix, the need for me to take a class or three to truly learn how to fire my weapons, and well... <<shudders>> Shooting is a very expensive addiction. The rifle is only the beginning. :scrutiny:

$550.00 M700 SPS Varmint
$313.00 HS Precision stock
$109.00 Timney 1.5 Lb
$120.00 KF Rail
$150.00 Mark 4 rings
$1,649.00 NF scope
$109.00 Harris bi-pod
$3,000.00

$899.00 M700 Police
$393.00 B&C Adj Tact
$109.00 Timney 4 Oz
$120.00 KF Rail
$150.00 NF rings
$1,649.00 NF scope
$109.00 Harris bi-pod
$3,429.00

Geno

Girodin
August 26, 2010, 12:19 AM
Yes long range rifles add up very quick. I was thinking about putting together a .260 Remington awhile ago and after doing some quick figures I decided that I can get buy with what I have for now.

Your point about ammo and training (to say nothing of travel and competition if that is your thing) adding up fast too is spot on. It is enough to make you smile when people are all worked up over a few hundred dollars purchase price one way or the other on the rifle.

foghornl
August 26, 2010, 03:19 PM
not quite done, because I'm STILL arguing w/myself over whether or not to put a set of 'tech sights' on the 10/22

Geno
August 26, 2010, 03:35 PM
foghornl said:

not quite done, because I'm STILL arguing w/myself over whether or not to put a set of 'tech sights' on the 10/22

Hmmm. And I thought I was the only one who heard "voices". :D

Geno

CoRoMo
August 26, 2010, 04:13 PM
I need a couple slings for a couple rifles, an optic for one that is doing just fine with its irons. I really don't look at these rifles as 'incomplete' though.

If you enjoyed reading about "What % of your rifles are complete ... rifle, optics, accessories, ammunition, etc?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!