Gerber Guardian Help

PDA

kis2
August 23, 2010, 06:50 PM
I have a gerber guardian. Awesome knife, but I want it to hang upside down from my boot. Does anybody know how to take the clip off of the sheath so I can put it back upside down? I just can't figure it out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gerber Guardian Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
August 23, 2010, 08:16 PM
Is it the leather or poly sheath?

kis2
August 23, 2010, 09:07 PM
poly sheath with the stainless clip.

I feel kind of stupid right now. It looks so simple. Maybe I'm just supposed to bend it and then bend it back?

glistam
August 23, 2010, 09:54 PM
I've got one too. You got the one with the metal clip where it has the two tabs at one end? If so, basically you take quarter or other coin or similar flat object and put it in the slot between the two tabs. Twist it to one side or the other slowly so the tabs separate, and it will release once you apply enough tension. Then just turn it upside down and snap it back on.

unloved
August 23, 2010, 09:58 PM
Maybe I'm just supposed to bend it and then bend it back?

I doubt it. I'd be willing to bet that if you try, you'll ruin the sheath.

My Guardian is the older style that came with a nylon sheath which has some type of polymer liner, so I don't have any experience with the current style sheath. Based on photos I've seen, it looks like your clip may slide off.

kis2
August 23, 2010, 10:47 PM
glistam got it! I used the file on my multitool to seperate them. a few scratches but not too worse for the wear.

thanks for all the help guys, THR is awesome because of smart, helpful folks like you.

JHansenAK47
August 23, 2010, 10:52 PM
I've got one too. You got the one with the metal clip where it has the two tabs at one end? If so, basically you take quarter or other coin or similar flat object and put it in the slot between the two tabs. Twist it to one side or the other slowly so the tabs separate, and it will release once you apply enough tension. Then just turn it upside down and snap it back on.
The manual that came with mine, a few years back, specifically mentioned using a quarter.

jbkebert
August 23, 2010, 10:54 PM
I will warn you about the sheath. I have a couple of these little knives while I do like the knife the retentio clips insid ethe sheath does nto hold up well. I alsways carried mine with the retention tabs pretty tight to avoid loosing the knife in a combat enviroment. Pulling the knife out from this sheath quickly breaks down the retention system. So don't torque the thing down as tight as it will go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gerber Guardian Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!