S&W mod. 29-3 ????

PDA

Kansas Jack
August 24, 2010, 11:41 AM
I have a S&W mod. 29-3 44 mag. with a 10 3/4'' barrel. the front sight is a wheel type compition. does this increase the value over the standard post sight?
it also has a 3 ring mounted cougar 4/35 power scope. i can not find any info. on the scope. any info. will be appreciated. KJ

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W mod. 29-3 ????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
August 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
Nine and three quarter inch barrel? I am not aware of S&W offering any tube longer than 8 3/8". Is this a custom job set up for hunting or silhouette shooting?

S&Wfan
August 24, 2010, 02:44 PM
Hi,

It sounds like a S&W M29 Silhouette version with the adjustable front sight so that one can dial in the four different distance trajectories needed in that discipline.

There's no harm to having that front sight and, to some, it adds to the appeal of the revolver I'd imagine. Just like anything else, unique features require finding a unique buyer.

That being said, I've long owned a 1989 era Model 29-5 with the adjustable front sight. It has an unfluted cylinder and a 6" barrel. It is a real tackdriver and I imagine the "long tom" is too!

LawofThirds
August 24, 2010, 03:08 PM
Some of the longer barrel 8 3/8" with the adjustable front sight use a different blade in the rear (wider aperture than standard) that can be a real pain to source.

CraigC
August 24, 2010, 03:16 PM
I agree, it sounds like the 10" silhouette model and that the OP may be measuring it incorrectly. No idea if this model brings a premium but if the receiver has been drilled and tapped for the scope mount, that will decrease its value.

A "tang" sight is a rifle sight mounted behind the action on the rear "tang". Not an applicable term.

David E
August 24, 2010, 03:29 PM
if the receiver has been drilled and tapped for the scope mount, that will decrease its value.

Unless it left the factory drilled and tapped. I'm not sure when they started doing that.

rcmodel
August 24, 2010, 03:39 PM
The 29-3 was not drilled for scope mounts, that started with the 29-6.

The 29-3 Silhouette had a 10 5/8" barrel.
(Measured from the muzzle to the front face of the cylinder as all revolver barrels are measured)

It did not have the later 29-3E "Endurance Package" added to fix the lock-work problems that surfaced with the Model 29, 29-1, 29-2, and 29-3 with all the pounding the Silhouette shooters were giving them.

rc

CraigC
August 24, 2010, 03:43 PM
Unless it left the factory drilled and tapped. I'm not sure when they started doing that.
Sometime around 1992 if I remember right. Since he said it was a three ring mount I assumed it 'might' have some holes not covered by the rear sight.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W mod. 29-3 ????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!