M1 carbine or M1 Garand

PDA

berettaman200
August 24, 2010, 05:00 PM
What the title says. Which you prefer and why you prefer it.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 carbine or M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
August 24, 2010, 05:02 PM
Two completely different rifles for different purposes.

That said, my wife has my Carbine ready at home right now as her primary defensive weapon.

herkyguy
August 24, 2010, 05:36 PM
If it's for having a rifle that captures the history of WWII through Vietnam, then the M1 Carbine will be cheaper. I am wrestling with the same question. If if it's for the historical significance, I think it boils down to your preference between infantry and airborne. Both guns did their part, although the Garand was probably the true workhorse. I'm leaning more towards the Carbine so my wife will have something easier for her to shoot. And the weight would be easier compared to the Garand for shooting from anything other than a bench.

shotgunjoel
August 24, 2010, 05:42 PM
M1 Carbine. It's just a great, handy, little rifle.

1KPerDay
August 24, 2010, 05:52 PM
Garand for me. And Carbines aren't much cheaper than Garands anymore, if at all.

I have both and love both, but if i had to choose one, it would be the coolest rifle ever, the M1 Garand. :cool:

Lucky Derby
August 24, 2010, 05:55 PM
I have owned both, and currently only own a Garand.
They are so different it really depends on what you plan on doing with it.

bigfatdave
August 24, 2010, 06:02 PM
Carbine.

Lighter, handier, and entirely adequate out to 150 yards for practical purposes.
If I needed a seriously long-range rifle or had a desire for a collector's item, the Garand would be the choice, and I might add a fake Tanker Garand just for fun someday ... but for my entertainment and possible needs I don't see the Garand being in the safe anytime soom.

Tim the student
August 24, 2010, 06:03 PM
I have both, greatly prefer the Garand.

If you are thinking about buying either rifle soon, I'd go for the Carbine. The CMP is essentially out of them, with no more in the pipeline. I think that GI Carbine prices will begin to rise dramatically.

Zerodefect
August 24, 2010, 06:04 PM
Garand.

The M1 is a fine big battle rifle IMHO.
But the AR15 makes for a far better carbine.

StoneDog
August 24, 2010, 06:13 PM
I'd pick the M1 Carbine. Everyone I know that was around in the WWII or Korean War eras seem to favor the Garand. I appreciate it for what it is, but the M1 Carbine (while nowhere near as powerful) seems a more handy rifle for home defense, plinking, zombie apocalypses, etc.

bigfatdave
August 24, 2010, 06:24 PM
The CMP is essentially out of themThat's true. I lucked out and fell in love with one of the last batch of them at the North Store, and lucked out again when I discovered a cracked gas block in it (they made it right, let me keep my pretty stock and swap in a non-damaged barreled receiver)

Get a carbine while the getting is good, if you have any desire for a GI-issue one.

berettaman200
August 24, 2010, 06:37 PM
I just bought the garand from this site. I want to get a carbine as well. They make a good pair. i was curious as to what people thought of each. I think the garand wins in the "cool" factor department.

Tommygunn
August 24, 2010, 06:56 PM
GARAND: When you really NEED to REACH OUT and touch someone.
CARBINE: When you need something light and easy for close in work.

bhk
August 24, 2010, 07:44 PM
I have both, like them both, but would give up the Garand first.

missouri dave
August 24, 2010, 08:37 PM
I have a garand and am saving for a carbine. I'd say it depends on range, terrain and the numbers of the opfor. At longer range definately the garand. At closer range the carbine gets the nod. If I had to have one and only one, the carbine.

XxWINxX94
August 24, 2010, 08:50 PM
Owner of both here.
I would pick the Garand over the carbine for more "Heavy Duty" stuff like long range shooting, hunting, and even collector value.

I would pick the carbine for a fun short range target rifle, or if nessicary small game.

Both have ammo that isn't cheap, but both make great collector's items, and shooters.
Great guns, but my personal pick would be the carbine.

LeverGunJunkie
August 24, 2010, 09:26 PM
The Garand is a superior weapon in all aspects; except perhaps in a CQB situation. Even then, I'd MUCH rather have .45 in hand than a carbine holding 15 rounds of 110gr FMJ ammo.

My Dad carried a Carbine in Korea, and spoke highly of it, but I favor the Garand. If you have long arms and are tall, it can be a challenge to shoot accurately and comfortably.

Zerodefect said it best.

bigfatdave
August 24, 2010, 10:43 PM
One thing to think on is the intended purpose of each weapon.

The M1 Garand was an infantryman's rifle, it was the #1 priority for the men on the front lines in most cases and was not favored by those who had priorities above being infantry.

Enter the carbine, designed to be something between a pistol and rifle. Easier to carry, easier to maneuver, not focused on long-range shooting. The M1 carbine is in some ways the PDW (personal defense weapon) of the era it hails from, a job now fulfilled by submachineguns and extra-short carbines ... the long gun for the poor slob humping radio gear, tending to machinery, or herding supplies.

So, if you had to consider using one of these venerable weapons in a serious setting ... will it be as an infantryman with supplies delivered regularly, or will the rifle be one of many things you're trying to do at once?

Personally, I imagine that I'd be running infrastructure and in need of a PDW, not front-line infantry.

Winston_Smith
August 24, 2010, 11:07 PM
If I wanted a tool, then I would pick the Garand. If I wanted the toy, then I would pick the carbine.

HKGuns
August 25, 2010, 12:05 AM
I have both and will be keeping both. If you can, I would do the same.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v6/p758283323-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v2/p1048261144-5.jpg

Nugilum
August 25, 2010, 02:35 AM
In the aspect of today (Mid August, 2010), the CMP will still have Garands for a few more years. The M1 Carbines are drying up. If you have any interest in getting a carbine, now is the time. I predict the decent ones be gone (CMP source) in about a 1/2 year.

mljdeckard
August 25, 2010, 03:51 AM
I disagree about grabbing a .45 before the carbine. Higher capacity, better energy. No one says you have to load it with FMJ. I have both, and for home defense, the .45 falls behind my shotgun and the carbine.

Bullseye_shooter
August 25, 2010, 04:23 AM
In my State the M1 Carbine is illegal to own, however in terms of accuracy, stopping power, and reliability the M1 Garand hails supreme in my opinion.

the Carbine is just a pistol with a stock, thats what the purpose of it was, just rather would have the versitility of the 30.06

CapnMac
August 25, 2010, 04:32 AM
The good, collectible (even rack grade shooters) M-1 Carbines at decent prices are getting harder to find.
Whereas decent Garands are not so difficult--and DCM still has decent prices, too, with far fewer hoops to jump through, too.

The only real limitation for the Carbine is ammo, it getting to be available again, but, it is no where as available as Cal..30 M-2 ball for the Garand.

sgtdevildog
August 25, 2010, 08:21 AM
Have both - like many love both - but for me the Garand is king. Just feels and exudes that battle rifle feel. Probably wouldn't want to lug it around in the field extensively - but for pure nostalgia and joy of disassembly and reassembly - the Garand all the way. Bought one for my self and one as a gift to my father-in-law who served in Korea and had his house robbed years ago where the got his old rifle. The gleam in his eyes when he got it - priceless.

Sav .250
August 25, 2010, 08:34 AM
BIG difference in weight! That aside, neither interest me.

bikerdoc
August 25, 2010, 08:44 AM
M-1 carbine fan here. Carried one in the Nam. ( took it from an ARVN, after ditching my 16) great weapon out to 150 yds.

Tim the student
August 25, 2010, 09:31 AM
I predict the decent ones be gone (CMP source) in about a 1/2 year.

CMP is out of carbines now, except for ones they are auctioning. http://www.thecmp.org/m1carbine.htm

mister2
August 25, 2010, 10:33 AM
Different rifles in design, ergonomics, performance capability, etc. Difficult to discuss in abstraction. Hard "choice" for me, ....I'd get both.

Art Eatman
August 25, 2010, 11:00 AM
I've always enjoyed shooting the Garand, and then after I was drafted we played with those in Basic Training. I finally got around to buying my own some thirty years back and occasionally drag it out and shoot it.

The Army gave me an M2 Carbine for a pet when I was in an ack-ack outfit, doing occupation duty in Korea 55 years ago. Those are fun, as a few seagulls discovered, down on the beach at Inchon.

I now have my father's bring-back M1 Carbine that he toted from D-Day on. With soft-points, it's my at-home social critter.

Snowdog
August 25, 2010, 01:12 PM
I'd put them in completely different categories and as such find it difficult to compare them directly.
As others have already pointed out, if range was needed or I intended to take large game, it would be the Garand.

If I needed something for "combat" where ranges would be within 250 yards, I'd choose the M1 Carbine.

I keep an M1 Carbine loaded with 110gr JSPs for home defense. If something were to happen where I might feel inadequately armed with a pistol, it's what I'd grab... over the shotgun. For me, that says. a lot. No one is going to soak up a solid shot with an M1 Carbine and continue as if nothing happened. To be shot at 100 yards with a .30 Carbine JSP (from the M1 Carbine) is about the equivalent of being shot point blank by a .357 magnum (from a revolver). I don't know many who consider the .357 magnum an underpowered cartridge for defense.

Nugilum
August 25, 2010, 02:07 PM
Wow! I didn't know the CMP store listed them as "auction only". You'll need to go to one of the two stores then. They have some in stock, but they're getting rough...

Skinsanity
August 25, 2010, 02:12 PM
Only because I own one (kind of, its universal) ..but really this question is like asking which woul you prefer a Dodge Ram 2500 or a Dodge Viper...depends on what I am doing...cant haul much hay in a viper....and cant go 160mph in a ram.......:cool:

USSR
August 25, 2010, 02:37 PM
If I needed something for "combat" where ranges would be within 250 yards, I'd choose the M1 Carbine.

Personally, I'd lop about 100 yards off from that distance.

Don

aka108
August 25, 2010, 02:55 PM
In the Navy I could check out either the Garand or the Carbine with plenty of ammo from the ship's armory. For just fun shooting the M1 Carbine was simply easier to cart around and just a enjoyable little critter to shoot. The Garand, while a fine piece, sort of reminded me of the P14 or P17 Enfields. A bit heavy and not as comfortable to handle or sholder.

OpelBlitz
August 26, 2010, 10:50 AM
I'm a proud owner of both, and I love them all.

I feel the M1 Carbine is a more practical rifle for real-world use, because commercial ammunition is far easier to acquire and stockpile, it's very light even with the bayonet attached and its ergonomics (for me) are top-notch. It's superior to carrying a pistol which is what it was designed for, and I feel any target that's out of the effective range of my M1 Carbine wouldn't be worth shooting with the Garand anyway (~100-150m)... I'm in an suburban environment.

I definitely love the Garand. If I have to be in more open, rural areas it'd be nice to have the ability to have more range/power available (and a 16" bayonet, yikes!) - but gosh it's heavy. Plus, aside from the CMP or handloading, usable ammunition just isn't widely available as with the Carbine (ironic, considering how popular .30-06 is)... I guess I should just get the stupid adjustable gas plug and nullify that problem.

I reload .30 Carbine. I am also starting to reload .30-06 for the aforementioned reasion; but .30 Carbine ammunition is just cheaper and easier to get and load. And, I can just waltz into Cabela's or Bass Pro and pick up 8-10 boxes whenever I want, although I pay 40-50 cents a round going that route. I use that ammo for SHTF purposes; my Carbine's my go-to gun.

So to collect; Garand. To use; Carbine.

jerrard
August 26, 2010, 01:48 PM
I have had both for about 40 years now, I would not choose between the two. That said I can make a statement about the Carbine.

When I, my family and /or friends go out for a day of plinking and we bring both guns along, I pick up about 60-70 30-06 cases and several hundred .30 Carbine cases when we call it a day. I shoot the M1 Carbine, my wife, sons, grandson, and grand daughter all shoot the Carbine.

skidooman603
August 26, 2010, 05:17 PM
Too late...North Store (CMP) is out with none in site. I have my two and am glad I do. I shot both Carbine and Garand Matches at Camp Perry this year and have to say I had more fun in the Carbine Match. Accuracy beyond 50 yds ...Give me that big old .30-06. :D

Ignition Override
August 27, 2010, 12:00 AM
Nugilum:
I appreciate your comment about how long Garands should/could last at the CMP.

My first Garand arrived from Camp Perry only three weeks ago, and plan to have a second.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 carbine or M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!