Breaking in a New Action?

PDA

usmarine0352_2005
August 24, 2010, 09:19 PM
Just got my new Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker .30-06 and the bolt is fairly sticky.

How should I go about wearing it in to make it smoother?

Should I wipe it down in oil and then work the action? Work the action without oil?

If you enjoyed reading about "Breaking in a New Action?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Abel
August 24, 2010, 09:26 PM
Cycle it about 300 times. Takes about ten or fifteen minutes.

usmarine0352_2005
August 25, 2010, 07:14 AM
Cycle it about 300 times. Takes about ten or fifteen minutes.

With or without oiling it first?

Abel
August 25, 2010, 11:04 AM
Without. Lube will keep it from getting the metal on metal wear that smoothes it up. Lube it lightly when you are done. Like, a small drop.

351 WINCHESTER
August 25, 2010, 11:58 AM
Most new guns I've handled as of late are shipped bone dry. A little oil will help immediately.

Uncle Mike
August 25, 2010, 03:40 PM
Just got my new Browing X-Bolt Stainless Stalker .30-06 and the bolt is fairly sticky.

Cycle it all day if you want....it's not going to help!

You see, it isn't because there is an 'interference' between the bolt and the receiver or its innards, but because there is NO interference, or way to much slop in the boltway!

More than likely it is your 'form', when you of cycle the bolt, try to cycle the bolt without putting any side load on the bolt, causing it to bind in the receiver's raceways.

The bolt HAS to be pushed in/pulled out straight, along its centerline, without much deviation. Do it this way, and you can cycle your Browning's bolt with your pinkie.

usmarine0352_2005
August 25, 2010, 06:34 PM
Cycle it all day if you want....it's not going to help!

You see, it isn't because there is an 'interference' between the bolt and the receiver or its innards, but because there is NO interference, or way to much slop in the boltway!

More than likely it is your 'form', when you of cycle the bolt, try to cycle the bolt without putting any side load on the bolt, causing it to bind in the receiver's raceways.

The bolt HAS to be pushed in/pulled out straight, along its centerline, without much deviation. Do it this way, and you can cycle your Browning's bolt with your pinkie.

I realize that and it doesn't seem to be the problem.

I've tried many other rifles that had tight tolerances and the bolt was smooth as butter no matter how I worked it, from my shoulder, off my leg, just holding the rifle horizontally.

If you enjoyed reading about "Breaking in a New Action?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!