Name that feces!!!

PDA

courtgreene
August 24, 2010, 09:24 PM
I was hanging a tree stand today when I noticed this (first with my nose, then I saw it), about 20 feet up in the crotch of the tree. My first thought was raccoon, but then I looked down and saw the remains of a dead fawn, so I started thinking bear. I know it's something that eats a lot of seeds and climbs trees but other than that I'm at a loss. The crotch of the tree is about a foot from me to the other side if that helps to scale anything. I apologize for the quality of the picture, but hey, I was swinging from a tree.

If you enjoyed reading about "Name that feces!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flintknapper
August 24, 2010, 09:38 PM
Pretty sure thats an "endangered feces". ;)

dawico
August 24, 2010, 09:43 PM
What did it taste like? We need as much info as possible here.

It could also be a big cat (mountain lion, jaguar, or whatever). They are good climbers also, and up a tree gives them some privacy when eating.

Rembrandt
August 24, 2010, 09:43 PM
I know an old Indian gent who could identify it.....but he'd need a scratch & sniff computer.

hammerklavier
August 24, 2010, 10:01 PM
Chupacabra, a big one.

pbearperry
August 24, 2010, 10:07 PM
I go with Bear scat myself.

Centaur 1
August 24, 2010, 11:39 PM
Wow, that's a real crappy picture!!!!

wulfhart
August 25, 2010, 12:23 AM
In more way than one.

Don't think it is a cat. My game book says the same for pretty much all big cats. "Solid dark brown," "Primarily hair and bone," they cover it with dirt and are rare to find.

Looks like bear to me. Since it isn't ropelike I would say he was eating vegetation, like bearries. Were those light brown things seeds?

I can't really tell the size. It might be smaller than I am estimating. In which case it very well may be raccoon or something else.

As for the fawn that could have been there before from a cat and perhaps whatever animal that left the scat climbed up later after he got a whiff of barbecued baby fawn.

H&Hhunter
August 25, 2010, 12:26 AM
Dude you need to focus on that crap! How are we supposed to identify out of focus feces?;)

41magsnub
August 25, 2010, 12:27 AM
I think I see peanuts and corn so I'm going with human until a better picture shows up! :)

wulfhart
August 25, 2010, 12:40 AM
I think I see peanuts and corn so I'm going with human until a better picture shows up!

I might do that if I was cheerfully climbing a tree and came face to face with a dead thing. :uhoh:

vermont88993
August 25, 2010, 01:56 AM
"but thats a space peanut!, it fell from the sky!"
-joe dirt

lol

WardenWolf
August 25, 2010, 02:06 AM
So now you're playing SCATergories? ;-)

chas08
August 25, 2010, 08:02 AM
No little bellls or pepper smell? It isn't Bear.;)

Art Eatman
August 25, 2010, 09:51 AM
Looks like seeds in the mass, so I'd guess raccoon.

Coyote poop is dark and often has mouse or rabbit hair in it; often black after drying. Coon and badger poop pretty much always has some seeds. Bobcats commonly have mouse and rabbit hair passing on through as a clue. Same for cougar except larger. Scat from black bear is much like healthy human, except gray. Rabbit pills are bigger than sheep or goat pills and are round. Deer pills are a bit larger than sheep or goat pills but have the same sorta-elliptical form.

The poop from a rutting buck doesn't come out in pill form, but as largers globs.

Hunters are supposed to know that ****. :D:D:D

rtpzwms
August 25, 2010, 10:24 AM
I can see it now hanging in the tree... "I'm hunting deer today what are you hunting?"

45Fan
August 25, 2010, 10:36 AM
Cant be positive, it is a pretty bad picture, but I would guess Racoon. I think 'coons with crap just about anywhere, as long as it is on something. The ones around here leave me steamy little presents on my porch roof on ocasion, and the pic you have looks very familiar.

courtgreene
August 25, 2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys, I think one of the masked tree dwellers was the culprit. I appreciate your weighing in.

jmorris
August 25, 2010, 11:02 AM
Finally, a thread where everyone is talking scat and no one gets mad.

CoRoMo
August 25, 2010, 11:50 AM
Name that feces!!!
I'll vote for the name 'Charlie'. 'Charlie' is a good strong name, and that feces would be proud to be named 'Charlie'.

oasis618
August 25, 2010, 12:13 PM
It was a garbage bear.

Flintknapper
August 25, 2010, 01:03 PM
Seriously, that is typical of what a raccoon leaves behind.

Often they will defecate in the fork of a tree AND use the same spot over and over (accounting for the piling up).

Cosmoline
August 25, 2010, 01:08 PM
Hard to get a sense of scale but I would not think bear. I've never run into really stinky bear scat, but I do remember some pungent coon scat when I lived in raccoon country.

DIM
August 25, 2010, 04:49 PM
Could be just plain porcupine, I've seen them on the trees crapping like there is no tomorrow ;-)

courtgreene
August 25, 2010, 06:16 PM
If we have porcupines then I'm not aware of it, I've never seen one or even heard of one around here. I think raccoon wins. I hope the little booger doesn't come back often as was suggested, because I really don't want to have to fight the thing for possession of the tree before sun-up.
I don't mind the scent (even though it's irritating) because it's cheaper than buying bottles of piss and fake piss for a cover scent when acorns aren't falling.

Guns and more
August 25, 2010, 06:28 PM
One answer of mine gone!
No little bellls or pepper smell? It isn't Bear.
There goes the other one!

I'm out.

courtgreene
August 26, 2010, 04:50 PM
I can't believe that a picture of leavings sparked two pages... i guess i really started some sh** didn't I?

ZING!

Fernando
August 26, 2010, 07:26 PM
Quote: “I can't believe that a picture of leavings sparked two pages”

A good photo of that crap would easily generate a damn book, ahahahah
I can see the title: Harry Potter and the mystery of the feces without a father :D:D:D

Ohio Gun Guy
August 26, 2010, 09:51 PM
He probably just won a bet...... :D

"I'll bet I cant get 20 guys to look at and comment on a picture of crap....."

courtgreene
August 26, 2010, 10:48 PM
actually im the only one i know who ever goes to THR... i would love it if that were not so, but it is. but if you want to send some money i will pm you my address for "winning a bet"
I also accept rifle parts.

T.A.Sharps
August 29, 2010, 08:38 PM
Womp rat.

trayzor
August 29, 2010, 09:34 PM
Chimpanze or Orangutan. Be careful. If they think you're treading on their turf they can get very hostile.

Tacbandit
August 29, 2010, 09:49 PM
Gee...was that corn...??? lol

HappyHunting
August 29, 2010, 11:30 PM
Raccoons are pretty famous for rummaging garbage too. I like the raccoon argument, and the feces.

Double Naught Spy
August 29, 2010, 11:41 PM
Looking at images of raccoon scat online, raccoon seems to be a very good match.

SHOOT1SAM
September 1, 2010, 11:32 PM
CoRoMo:

Quote:
Name that feces!!!
I'll vote for the name 'Charlie'. 'Charlie' is a good strong name, and that feces would be proud to be named 'Charlie'.__________________

Dang, I was going to say Charlie, too! I guess I'll have to go with Peter.

Sam

zoom6zoom
September 2, 2010, 12:14 AM
It's obvious that none of you people know sh*t.

xanderzuk
September 2, 2010, 01:10 AM
That's bear poo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Name that feces!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!