Does anyone eat Marmot?

PDA

GJgo
August 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
Well folks, it's marmot season here in CO. Thinking about going after a few to warm up for big game season. Save for prairie dogs & coyotes I like to eat what I shoot. So, are they worth eating? Any recipes? Thanks :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone eat Marmot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
August 24, 2010, 10:08 PM
I've heard that some of the Native American tribes around these parts have some recipes for marmot, but I haven't ever had the privilege of trying any.

Mongolians apparently hunt and eat them: http://www.e-mongol.com/mongolia_culture_cooking-recipes.htm#Marmot%20boodog

That actually sounds kind of good, but it does take some effort. :D

HighExpert
August 24, 2010, 10:15 PM
I don't know but I killed a ground hog this last weekend and couldn't quite bring myself to try it. He WAS burrowing under my house and had to go.

GJgo
August 24, 2010, 10:20 PM
Any place I'd go to take them would be over 10,000', and I'd think anything they're eating up there should make them taste better than their low lying counterparts!

birdshot8's
August 24, 2010, 10:21 PM
I worked with a Navajo man on a job last summer. We were going through a large prarie dog town, when he said, he wished we could stop, so he could shoot a couple for supper. i thought he was pulling my leg, but he insisted they were tasty. I questioned him about possible deceases, and he explained his method for preparing the PD for the table.

ArmedBear
August 24, 2010, 10:45 PM
I talked with a guy who managed a mine in the desert for a while. He was playing around with a .22-250 early in the morning before work started, shooting jackrabbits, and some Navajo guys said that, if he collected them, they'd get the stuff ready and make a feast.

They cooked a stew with jackrabbits, spices and vegetables in a big pot over an open fire all day, now and then checking on it and stirring. When quitting time came, he said it smelled wonderful and tasted even better. It's all about knowing how to cook something -- most people wouldn't touch desert jackrabbit, because they think it tastes awful.

Rembrandt
August 24, 2010, 10:55 PM
If you're hungry enough, have enough ketchup, a person can eat about anything.

The French are well known for eating parts of animals most people throw away, may explain why they cook using heavy sauces and wine.

DIM
August 24, 2010, 11:31 PM
They probably can be cooked same way as squirrels, thing is I don't eat squirrels and I don't touch woodchucks either, but squirrels are popular eating and I just never got myself so hungry to eat one...

armoredman
August 24, 2010, 11:46 PM
Louisiana Hot Sauce, made even Navy food taste good. :)

Floppy_D
August 24, 2010, 11:55 PM
Louisiana Hot Sauce, made even Navy food taste good.
It still does. :D
I've heard of folks eating groundhog because it was "grass-fed" like good beef.

~z
August 25, 2010, 08:16 AM
Mongolians apparently hunt and eat them

AB, that is correct, it IS pretty good stuff. I'm headed back to Mongolia next week and look forward to a heaping helpin of boodog. Amazing people over there
~z

W.E.G.
August 25, 2010, 08:21 AM
Tastes just like chicken... If you drink enough Tequila.

jimmyraythomason
August 25, 2010, 10:14 AM
I just never got myself so hungry to eat one... Well,my dad did get that hungry. During the great depression(dad was just a kid) my grand dad killed any ground hog (no marmots around here) possum or raccoon he found and my grandmother would bake it. Anything that COULD be eaten was. There was no choice other than starvation.

FLAvalanche
August 25, 2010, 03:22 PM
How big to those things get? About the size of a groundhog?

Joe Demko
August 25, 2010, 03:33 PM
Some folks around here eat groundhogs which are a species of marmot (Marmota monax). I've tried them and they were somewhat similar to squirrel, although larger. Key to their preparation is the removal of fatty scent glands from the critter's "arm pits." Last time I had it, the carcass was soaked overnight in salt water. It was then cut up, dredged in seasoned flour and fried. The pieces were then arranged in a glass baking dish, covered with canned spaghetti sauce and baked in a 350 degree oven with foil over the dish until the meat was fork tender. It was actually pretty tasty.

DIM
August 25, 2010, 04:26 PM
Just checked Wiki, yes they all Genus Marmot, Sub-genus Marmota, either ground hog or woodchuck or just plain Marmot, and yes Mongolian seemed to like them, but I think I'll pass ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmota

moosehunt
August 25, 2010, 04:46 PM
I see where no one that has actually eaten them (Marmots) has answered. Well, that now ends. I've eaten them (from CO for that matter). First off, I selected relatively young ones, but that was cansidering tenderness, not flavor. Skinning them cleanly is a bit of a challenge, because their burrowing life style makes them a bit "dirty", meaning just plain old dirt in the fur. I found the best way was to wash them off well in a creek, then skin them while still wet--it kind of helps capture loose hair. Once skinned then eviserate as a rabbit or any other mammal. There is a gland (eluded to by someone earlier) under each forefoot (armpit) that should be removed. No big deal, it's kind of tanish color, easily seen, easily removed. I cut them up like a rabbit and fried them--pretty good, but chewy. So I tried pre-cooking them a bit in a preasure cooker, then frying. Much better. They are quite good. I've also made stew out of them--excellent, maybeso better than fried. At any rate, edibility is good. Big ones are quite tough (chewy). When I lived in CO there was no season or limit, as there is now. I've eaten many of them, and not because I was starving. They are fine fare! Try it. You'll like it! Good Luck!

Forgot to mention that I mostly only ate head shot ones--easier/cleaner to dress out.

caribou
August 26, 2010, 01:03 AM
Sriksrikpuk as they are called here are delicious.
Grasses and Herbs, berrys and flowers from the Tundra make the meat very mild and tatsey with LOTS of fat between the layers. Mmmmmmmm juicy and awsome.
I cook em split in half and roasted over coals. Salt n pepper and your good to go. I personally carry Tiger Sauce, its great on most any dark meat.

We get them up on mountain sides, in the rocks.
I head shoot them with my M-39, usually at much less than 50 yards, they are very wary.

GJgo
August 26, 2010, 09:41 PM
Heh thanks for the first hand experience guys. I'd wager the adult ones I see up in the high country are in the neighborhood of 20 lbs walking, big fat critters. Have to be as cold as it gets up there. With any luck I'll report back after the hunt. :)

bad_aim_billy
August 27, 2010, 06:31 PM
I've had marmot--shot a fat one and put it in the crockpot with barbeque sauce and spices, along with onions. Tastes a lot like pork, but the meat is quite dark. Very tasty overall.

Red Cent
August 27, 2010, 07:54 PM
Notice my origins. Still have my teeth and I don't chew. Don't fool around with cousins.
Whistle pig hunting in WV is a pasttime welcomed by the farmers and most anybody else. I was raised in a rural part of WV. Putnam County. 18 Mile Creek.
Later, when I would go for a pig hunt, Mom (grandmother) would say bring me back a young'n and we will cook it. Cooked it like a chuck roast after soaking all night in vinegar and water. Downright delicious. Tasted like chuck roast.
We did not shoot until after May 15. Did not want to leave little ones to starve in the ground. Around July was the best time to harvest pot fare.
Remember a few high knolls that I have carried the cannon (13# 22-250) up and bedded down with two friends. A jug and a ....a....uhhh friend. Memories.

Yes, we ate squirrels. Mom would par boil the squirrel parts, including the head. Make a white pepper gravy out of the broth and put them together. Take the handle of a butter knife, crack the skull open and it was squirrel pate'. Very good.

Rabbits we usually fried. Roll in flour, and fry in the water from boiling the potatoes. After they were fried add a little flour and milk to the crispins and you had the best gravy, even better than Jeb's and Grannie's.

sscoyote
August 31, 2010, 08:19 PM
Tried it fried in the old days and it was too tough to eat. But i'm eating jackrabbit these days the wife cooks in the crockpot, and it's as good as any other wild game i've ate. I'm sure the chucks would be just as good--

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t49/sscoyote1/img017.jpg

ThePunisher'sArmory
August 31, 2010, 08:27 PM
I worked with a Navajo man on a job last summer. We were going through a large prarie dog town, when he said, he wished we could stop, so he could shoot a couple for supper. i thought he was pulling my leg, but he insisted they were tasty. I questioned him about possible deceases, and he explained his method for preparing the PD for the table.

Now Ive never got the chance to shoot one but if I did I would use a .223. Now If one was shot at less that 100yrds what would really be left to eat????? Seems to me it would explode in a grand spray of blood, bone, and metal. (sorry to get so graphic :D)

jaybirdjtski
August 31, 2010, 11:33 PM
Let's see.....steroid fed meat, pesticide laden veggies, salmonella in eggs, e coli in lettuce. The media has you fooled. What you have to worry about is what is being sold in Safeway. Eating a marmot would certainly be better for you than say, a Big Mac, fries and a Coke. People eat muskrat, possum, rabbit, squirrel, porcupine, alligator, snakes, grubs, grasshoppers, moose nose, etc. I love bear but to hear some folks talk you would think that it would make you sick. Tastes like the best pork you have ever eaten. Heck! Saw a show the other night and the ultimate delicacy was maggot-laden cheese!

My guess is that cooked correctly, a marmot would be delicious. Probably a high fat content so you would cook accordingly.

General Tso
September 1, 2010, 02:32 AM
I'm too much of a softie to pull the trigger. I couldn't do it.

sscoyote
September 1, 2010, 06:08 PM
Marmot jerky anyone??

~z
September 14, 2010, 09:03 AM

Just got back from Mongolia, yes we had marmot, yes it is delicious.

The way it is prepared is quite interesting. It starts with a good headshot on a fat marmot. Next burn all the hair off the body. From there you remove the head and gut it through the neck hole. Then, with a small knife, you carefully remove all the bones (again through the neck hole). Then mix together all the innards and the bones (with meat on them) and some salt and the stems of a small, plant whose name escapes me, that taste like a wonderful mix of onions and garlic. Next push all this and some smooth baby fist sized rocks back into the neck hole to fill the body cavity and tie the neck hole closed.

Cook slowly for a few hours and the little dude bloats up like a football. The rocks heat up and help to cook it from the inside out. To serve, cut the critter open and take all the goodies out of the cavity and pass the hot greasy rocks to all in attendance. These have a ‘special therapeutic value’; you rub them in your hands and suck the fat off of them. The boneless marmot is then cut up like a loaf of bread and served.

Quite tasty!

~z

1KPerDay
September 14, 2010, 12:35 PM
Interesting. Is the plant you're thinking of "shallots"?

~z
September 14, 2010, 12:47 PM
I dont think shallots grow in the South Gobi, it is a bit dry.

I believe the plant is called 'taana' but I'm not positive. The herders claim that horses that feed heavily on this plant will produce the best airag (a slightly alcoholic drink made of fermented mares milk). The plant is said to impart a slight taste of hazelnut.
~z

rromeo
September 14, 2010, 12:51 PM
There was a groundhog that seemingly loved to antagonize my father-in-law when he was deer hunting. After a few days of this guy making noise, and scaring bucks away, Ted shot him. Of course, he felt bad, as he was the kind of guy that didn't kill animals unless he was going to eat them, so the ground hog went in a bag, and in the freezer until he could figure out what to do. A conversation at work about the incident, and a co-worker offered to take it home, "them's good eatin!"

racine
September 14, 2010, 05:20 PM
Beware that though Marmot is a delicacy in Mongolia, it is a known carrier of the Bubonic Plague. I almost went there in 2002 for a humanitarian mission and our surgeon declined the Marmot due to health reasons(plague) and lived on MREs. Though they didn't want to offend the host surgeons, they understood and accepted. I don't know if the B. Plague is still present in North America but be advised.

racine
September 14, 2010, 05:21 PM
Beware that though Marmot is a delicacy in Mongolia, it is a known carrier of the Bubonic Plague. I almost went there in 2002 for a humanitarian mission and our surgeon declined the Marmot due to health reasons(plague) and lived on MREs. Though they didn't want to offend the host surgeons, they understood and accepted. I don't know if the B. Plague is still present in North America but be advised.
Racine

1KPerDay
September 14, 2010, 05:50 PM
I hear bubonic plague imparts a pleasing hint of hazelnut.

Joe Demko
September 14, 2010, 06:32 PM
Pretty sure that's cholera. Bubonic plague has more of a sweet paprika tang to it.

ironhead7544
September 14, 2010, 07:51 PM
Ive had woodchuck when in upstate NY. We shot them on my friends farm. The half-grown ones are best. Cook them like rabbit. The adults were very tough. Had to put them through the meat grinder 3 times. You could probably par boil and then fry. Saved a lot of money on meat eating the chucks.

Chasing Crow
September 14, 2010, 08:33 PM
I slow roast (even old tough groundhog) for 3-5 hr. at about 300 deg. with potatoes, carrots,celery and onions. Very good and quite tender. Never had the chance to try marmot yet though.

dagger dog
September 15, 2010, 06:37 PM
Marmot, ground hog,woodchuck, whistle pig, rats, rabbits, squirrels, are all rodents or at least in the same genus, most rodents are edible.

A pressure cooker does wonders, after cooking under pressure ,the meat can be fried like chicken, out of the pressure cooker, I like to dip in egg batter and your favorite shake and bake,then deep fry, the leftovers get a dose of BBQ sauce and put on the grill when cooking burgers, they come out soooo goooood, it has that smokey flavor, and the meat just falls off the bone.

Col. Plink
September 15, 2010, 10:58 PM
WHAT IS A WHISTLEPIG? I hand-fed them as a kid, but no-one seems to be able to tell me what they are...

jimmyraythomason
September 16, 2010, 08:12 AM
Col.Plink,we call groundhogs whistlepigs because of the whistling sound they occasionally make.

1KPerDay
September 16, 2010, 12:14 PM
http://www.arthursclipart.org/music/music/whistling%20pig.gif

dagger dog
September 16, 2010, 12:34 PM
jimmyray knows!

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone eat Marmot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!