My BRNO 602

PDA

SaxonPig
August 25, 2010, 08:42 AM
Back in the 1980s after reading Jeff Cooper extol the virtues of the 602 I wanted one. I had an FFL at the time but we had a trade embargo against Czechoslovakia and the BRNOs could not be directly imported.

Some distributor said he could get me one in through Canada for a fee. I think the agreed price was $500. A lot in 1986. Weeks went by and I finally got a call from the importer saying my rifle was ready. But... I had to pay an additional $50 in unforeseen import fees. BS! I was being extorted for another 10% just because they knew I would pay it. I did pay it after calling the guy several kinds of MoFo.

When the rifle arrived I was disappointed to find it lacked the pop-up peep sight Cooper raved about. Apparently that feature was dropped by the time I made my purchase. The wood was also downright fugly. But it was a true Magnum Mauser in 375 H&H and I felt manly just handling that bad boy.

I have read and heard some people knock the set trigger but I like it. The rifle shoots just fine and when you touch off a 375 on the firing line you get everyone's attention.

It's 24 years later and I still have it. It's not quite the brute my 460 is, but it is a substantial rifle. I have managed to fire 20 rounds from the bench in a single session but I felt like I had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson when I was done. I like the look with the 1x4x20 Leupold scope on it.

http://www.fototime.com/4B23862FAB641C8/standard.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "My BRNO 602" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Roughneck08
August 25, 2010, 09:17 AM
I am impressed, have you had the joy of taking it hunting through these years?

SaxonPig
August 25, 2010, 12:08 PM
I quit hunting many years ago. I now collect and shoot for fun.

Col. Plink
August 25, 2010, 01:32 PM
I'm beginning to think the letters BRNO will figure prominently in my future. I think my VZ-24 needs a cousin in the safe to keep him company...

viking499
August 25, 2010, 02:24 PM
That sure is a nice looking rifle. Good catch.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "My BRNO 602" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!