Dive Knife Review - Beaver Ranger (The Eager Beaver!)

PDA

Uridium
August 25, 2010, 11:39 AM
Beaver Ranger

This is a nice blade that's an import from Taiwan.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc174/Ulysses3100/Survival/P1020494.jpg

The Plastic scabbard is a nice looking bit of kit BUT I don't like the release mechanism. It feels flimsy and over time I feel the spring will give out. But a customised rubber retain-ring could fix that.
The steel is good quality and has lasted for 2 years now with no sign of tarnishing.

Lanyard system that integrates onto the knife itself (and scabberd) means it can be retrieved in zero-visibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL38KHjg0xw
(In HD for added quality! :) )

If you enjoyed reading about "Dive Knife Review - Beaver Ranger (The Eager Beaver!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gun guy
August 26, 2010, 12:54 PM
In the process of racking up over 10,000+ hours of bottom time, with scuba dives over 300ft and mixed gas dives over 500ft, I have been thru a few hundred dive knives. The old Karbar is pretty close for the money. Aqualung used to make a decent dive knife. The two key points for a dive knife is big and strong, and sharp and serarrated. You will have to lever heavy objects with your knife a little, cute pc dive knife won't do that. The sea if full of lost nets and other material to get tangled in, often large knives don't sharpen well. Again a plain old kbar, with a little file work fits the bill.
These days dive stores seem to abound with fashion color dive knives, other than looking cool on the dive boat, i'm not sure what use they are. I usually carry two knives, a large Aqualung sea hawk on my leg (it's not made anymore) and a razor sharp Blackie Collins on my BC. At times when a decent dive knife was not handy, a good ol large bowie style knife also works well. You may need to stop by an autobody shop and have a fiberglass sheath made. The knife is litterally your lifesaver, chose it wisely, buy the best you can.

Uridium
August 26, 2010, 02:11 PM
I hear you on that my man.
My bigger diver knife is in storage at a buddy's house overseas.
That is what you might call a 'levering knife' and about 8-9 inches on the blade alone.
The trend for dive knives has certainly shortened in recent years that's for sure!

If you enjoyed reading about "Dive Knife Review - Beaver Ranger (The Eager Beaver!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!