Savage shooters- a question

PDA

thomis
August 25, 2010, 08:29 PM
I finally got my hands on a fine and dandy torque driver.

The manual lists inch-pounds for the Accustock only. Well I have the Model 14 Classic with the wood stock and I'd like to know to what inch pounds I should torque the action bolts. If you know, please advise-
My last resort is to call Savage but that can mean a long time on hold from past experience.
Many thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage shooters- a question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Uncle Mike
August 25, 2010, 11:33 PM
Model 14/114 Non-Magnum caliber...30 INCH pounds

Start with 20 lb/in on front and rear screws, add 5 lb/in at at time alternating between the front and rear screws, front screw always first, until you get to 30 lb/in on both screws.

Try this amount of torque, if the rifle won't shoot for you, in the same sequence as above, go to 35 lb/in and so on, up to 45lb/in MAX. I have had rifles that would only perform well with 25 or so inch pounds on the screws, IIRC, these rifles were 22 caliber, sporter barreled units (Savage 10, 11, 14, 16)

Somewhere between 25 to 45 lb/in you should find the sweet spot for your rifles torque!

Remember, in this application...less is generally better! Use the least amount of torque you can get by with.

thomis
August 26, 2010, 08:14 AM
exactly the info i was after. thanks very much

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage shooters- a question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!