Thoughts on a Remington 710

PDA

Moose23
August 25, 2010, 08:03 PM
An aquaintance has a 2 year old Remington Model 710 in for sale cheap (less than $250 with scope). Is there a reason why it's cheap?

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on a Remington 710" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USSR
August 25, 2010, 08:42 PM
Is there a reason why it's cheap?

Yep, shoddy manufacturing practices (press fit barrels) and many nonferrous parts. Don't walk away - Run away.

Don

TexasPatriot.308
August 25, 2010, 08:50 PM
cheap piece of crap....I actually had one for a while, bolt was rough, got rid of it quick...for the same money you can get a Stevens 200 that is ugly but is a tack driver...the 710 is a good indicator of where Remington is headed and its sucesssor, (cant remember its name) is also crap...my Stevens 200 in 7-08 is one of my favorite rifles and I got some nice ones in my safe...

hometheaterman
August 25, 2010, 09:24 PM
Yea, the Remington 710 is one of those guns that you probably want to stay away from. They seem to work, and shoot decently, however as said above, once a part breaks or you wear a barrel out, you minus well throw it away. It's basically a throw away rifle. If you are a hunter that hunts once a year and shoots 2 or 3 shots in the year, it might last you a while. Otherwise, it probably won't. You can get a Savage Model 10 or Marlin XL-7 or a Stevens 200 for similar prices and all are much much better rifles. Best of all if you wear out a barrel or something, they are easy to change.

The 710's with a scope new were like $310 or $320 or something. I can't remember exactly, but it wasn't anymore than that and they came as package deals with a scope. Used I would not pay over $100 for one. The only way I'd buy one is if I got one in like new shape for under $100. Otherwise, if I'm going to pay $2-300 I'd get one of the other much better choices.

BTW these guns are also pretty hard to sell. There are a few for sale on a local site I'm a member of and they don't seem to ever sell. Some have been there for months upon months. So resale value is pretty low and they are even hard to sell then.

Uncle Mike
August 25, 2010, 10:05 PM
B A D aka stay away!

If you can, hold out for at least a Stevens 200 or Marlin X Series rifle. I promise, you'll be much happier and you'll sleep better also! hehehehe

Moose23
August 25, 2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks everybody. Not surprised, haven't heard any good things about the 710 other than it's cheap.

handle02
August 25, 2010, 10:55 PM
Junk! Do your self a favor and get that nasty thought out of your head.

Art Eatman
August 26, 2010, 12:31 AM
Pretty well summed up...

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on a Remington 710" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!