Taurus Quality???

PDA

charleym3
January 22, 2003, 08:36 PM
I've got a hankerin for a 4inch stainless 38. How's the quality of Taurus wheelguns lately? They are much more reasonably priced than current production 64s.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Quality???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Catbird
January 22, 2003, 09:45 PM
I have three Taurus Total Titanium snubbies (all in different calibers). I've had problems of one sort or another with all three. Based on my personal experiences, I would NEVER recommend Taurus revolvers; their semi-autos may be different, though.

dairycreek
January 22, 2003, 09:55 PM
Over the last decade I have had occasion to buy a half dozen Taurus revolvers. Three of them had serious problems that required factory repair. The other three were okay but required minor adjustments. I will not purchase another Taurus product. FWIW. Good shooting:)

Mr. Fixit
January 22, 2003, 11:09 PM
Just say no.......

Mr. F

Kevin
January 22, 2003, 11:13 PM
I have owned two Taurus revolvers and they were very decent guns for the money.

AR-10
January 23, 2003, 12:39 AM
I've had a couple that blossomed into nice wheelguns.

The only complaint I have about the company is their propensity to port everything they make.

HSMITH
January 23, 2003, 01:22 AM
Hate porting too, but 2 for 2 have been very very good. Better than S&W of the same period by a large margin.

10-Ring
January 23, 2003, 01:27 AM
IMHO, Taurus guns come in 2 forms...really good shooters or better off in the rejection bin.
I owned one of their 1st 380 semi autos...HATED IT. I currently have a model 94 revolver that has evolved into a nice plinker.

Lancel
January 23, 2003, 02:12 AM
My Model 669 (.357) has ran for 11 years without any problems and has a silky smooth action and trigger. Looks good, feels good, shoots good.:)

My new Model 731 (.32 H&R) got a stuck cylinder center pin during the first month. :eek: Taurus sent FedEx to pick it up at my door the next day. This just happened recently, I expect the gun back any day now.

I really like that little .32 H&R. I was surprised that the trigger pull was much better than the new S&W's I tried (which was what I had planned on getting).

I was also surprised and disappointed when the pin stuck so I'll withhold my recommendation until I get the pistol back. But so far Taurus is honoring it's lifetime warranty to fix it and make it right.

Larry

twoblink
January 23, 2003, 02:33 AM
I liked them a lot, was considering one, when I saw a guy shooting his Taurus Ti 357Mag, with Ficcoci brand ammo I believe, and it JAMMED badly, so badly that the cylinder wouldn't come out, I mean we were at it with a screw driver, and finally gave up.. We left it out in the cold air, and about 2 hours later (and a WHOLE LOT OF CLP EVERYWHERE!!) we managed to get it opened. So I ended up buying a Ruger Sp101. No regrets.

Some Taurus shot well, but some are jam-o-matics..

charleym3
January 23, 2003, 03:54 PM
Well it's not what I wanted to hear, but it's what I needed to hear. I have a 94 and like it. Just thought about the 38 in the same configuration.

bountyhunter
January 23, 2003, 08:49 PM
Their main problem areas:

1) The stupid coil mainspring is notorious for stacking and causing light strike misfires.

2) Their snubs have problems like binding cylinders and fragile actions.

The track record of Taurus in Gun Tests magazine for their wheelguns over the last three years has been poor.

DeltaElite
January 23, 2003, 08:57 PM
Of the half dozen or so Taurus revolvers I have had, only one has worked properly and that is my 415 Titanium.

I use it for play, but I would never trust a Taurus for self defense.

rugerfreak
January 23, 2003, 10:55 PM
Had 2 Tauri revolvers in the past---they were ok---nothing really wrong--but nothing really good either.

As expensive as they are getting to be for a new one---you would better off with a Ruger or a Smith as they are better guns in the first place and the Taurus price advantage is pretty much non-existant anymore.

EJ
January 23, 2003, 11:12 PM
The Taurus seems to have good metalurgy --
But is lacking in mechanical construction and assembly / fitting consistancy --

Okiecruffler
January 24, 2003, 12:55 AM
I've only owned one Taurus (650 CIA), so I'm hardly an expert on them. But mine is quickly coming up on 2,000rds without any problems. A Tracker of some flavor is definately in my future.

makdaddy03
January 24, 2003, 01:15 AM
I like Taurus and Rossi revolvers, I have never had any problems with either brand. Unlike some other well known revolvers out there..

gbelleh
January 24, 2003, 01:52 AM
My Taurus 85UL has had no problems. It's been a great little gun. Don't have much experience with Taurus besides that.

Lancel
January 24, 2003, 02:36 AM
I must read different pages than you. :)

Before I bought my Taurus 731, I did some research ---

Gun Tests Magazine has back issues available at this address. (http://www.gun-tests.com/backissues/)
You can check out excerpts then buy what you need; here's some quick quotes that refer to Taurus from the last three years :

March 2002 (http://www.gun-tests.com/pub/14_3/features/4993-1.html)
...Taurus M617Ti are ready to go as topnotch self-defense handguns.

March 2001 (http://www.gun-tests.com/pub/13_3/features/4693-1.html)
Steel Snub-Nosed .38 Specials: Taurus is Good...
we wouldn’t pass up Taurus’s ported and unported Model 85s.

April 2000 (http://www.gun-tests.com/pub/12_4/features/4455-1.html)
Taurus’s new Tracker
.357 Magnum (right) is a good gun

The reference to a "poor track record" in the magazine didn't fit what I found that's all. Now note that I just quoted a tiny part of each article, that's why I listed the links at each date.;)

bpisler
January 24, 2003, 06:53 AM
My older taurus's from the middle 90's seemed better then the last 2 new one's i've bought.My new 85 shoots 4" to the right at 20'(S/A),i think some one at the factory should have noticed this when being test fired.My earlier model 66 was excellent just as my model 65.While taurus may be using new metals and making some fine looking designs i think the overall quality is down.

Michigun
January 24, 2003, 11:07 AM
My local FFL shop has sent so many Taurus wheel guns back for cylinder problems, it’s not even funny anymore…

I really wish they’d make 2 different lines, an “economy” line & a “high-end” line. That way S&W isn’t the only one out there for quality self defense type (pocket/small & light) wheel guns. Rugers are nice, but heavy with limited configurations.

However, with the coming of the Kahr PM9 I really don’t personally care anymore. I have no need for a small wheel gun with my PM9 purchase.

ruger357
January 24, 2003, 11:48 AM
I have owned one, had problems. Never again.

Neal Bloom
January 24, 2003, 12:48 PM
We have a Taurus 605 that has been dependable, quite accurate and has a nice trigger. For a car gun it does what we need. Don't know if I would buy another.

Leatherneck
January 24, 2003, 01:50 PM
Our .357 and two .44 spls have been fine. Don't get shot a ton, but 100% reliable so far.
TC
TFL Survivor

Apple a Day
January 24, 2003, 02:25 PM
I own a stainless Model 65 (.357 magnum)with a 4" barrel. I bought it used and it's fine, shoots very well. I checked it thoroughly before I bought it and recommend that you do the same.

bountyhunter
January 24, 2003, 02:58 PM
"bountyhunter, since you referenced Gun Tests Magazine...
I must read different pages than you.

Before I bought my Taurus 731, I did some research ---

Gun Tests Magazine has back issues available at this address.
You can check out excerpts then buy what you need; here's some quick quotes that refer to Taurus from the last three years :

March 2002
...Taurus M617Ti are ready to go as topnotch self-defense handguns.

March 2001
Steel Snub-Nosed .38 Specials: Taurus is Good...
we wouldn’t pass up Taurus’s ported and unported Model 85s.

April 2000
Taurus’s new Tracker
.357 Magnum (right) is a good gun

The reference to a "poor track record" in the magazine didn't fit what I found that's all. Now note that I just quoted a tiny part of each article, that's why I listed the links at each date."

It's true, some Taurus guns got good reports from GT. My statement was from a detailed study I did on the wheelguns published in GT over about a three year period (probably covered about 15 different tests on wheelguns). Taurus was the worst by far for total track record. By my recollection, about 40% of the Taurus wheelguns tested had problems serious enough that they got a don't buy rating. What's worse, key problems showed up consistently which indicates they are designed in: mainspring (light strikes), cylinder binding, lockworks problems.

I would add for fairness there was NO MAKER (including SW) who was free of dogs in that time frame, but Taurus was clearly worse and consistently showed the same problems. One GT writer went so far as to comment that Ta needs to get rid of the coil mainspring design.

You bring up the real problem with GT magazine: they take one gallon of test data and drive 10,000 miles of conclusions. I saw one test where a Charter Arms gun broke and fell apart (so the nixed it) and a month later, another Charter shot well so they wrote it up like the second coming of the Messiah. It's the same maker. If they ship one piece of junk, they ship others. Bottom line, look at how the product line performs. GT never puts it's recommendations into that context, they just assume the one gun they got will be like all the rest.

As a side note: the Taurus guns I've tried had horrible trigger pulls IMO.

crawfordew
January 24, 2003, 03:41 PM
I have 4 Tauri (66, 85ch, 96 & 94). The only problem I ever had was cylinder binding on the 94. The 94 is SS, the others are blued.

Gene

Nightcrawler
January 24, 2003, 04:00 PM
But what can you do? Taurus is, in many ways, more innovative than American revovler makes. I mean, they're coming out with NEW DESIGNS.

I really want that .45 Colt snubby. Who else makes a 5-shot .45 Colt or .41 Magnum snubby? NOBODY.

When's the last time Ruger introduced a new revolver? I think it was in 1991 when they brought out the Vaquero line.

Not a flame against Ruger guns, I'm just saying. Be creative, Ruger! You too, Smith!

Lancel
January 24, 2003, 05:02 PM
It's a pity that a modern manufacturer can't be more consistent - Taurus and S&W see-sawing in quality. :confused:
Meanwhile, FedEx delivered my repaired Taurus 731 today.:)

Everything seems right with it. Test fire this weekend and see if my trust gets rebuilt.

Larry

denfoote
January 24, 2003, 05:52 PM
I just got rid of two Tauri recently. Not because they were bad, I just wanted to buy another gun and had gotten out of revolver mode!! My lovely wife still carries the first gen M85UL that she has had for years, despite my efforts to convert her to autoloaders!! :rolleyes: It's just keeps on ticking!! :evil:

Logistar
January 24, 2003, 11:14 PM
Taurus 650 (CIA) here. No problems. Plenty of .38 and .38+P through it. - Only a couple of boxes of .357 magnums.

- No problems. Accuracy is better than expected. - Excellent trigger.

Logistar

Carlos
January 27, 2003, 08:38 PM
I own a Taurus M27 Tracker and have not had a problem, yet. Hope I don't.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this wheelgun. I like the ports, too. :)

Woodchuck
January 27, 2003, 10:06 PM
If you are serious about a 4 inch taurus, you may also want to consider a Rossi 851 4" 6 shot.38 in blue or Rossi 971 4" blue .357.Taurus and Rossi are one in the same now. The Rossi in the equivalent will cost you about $50 less. I just bought a Rossi 462 2" snubbie .357 ss. It is as fine a quality as any of my Smiths or Rugers. Really nice for the money.

chaim
January 28, 2003, 12:40 AM
My first gun was a Taurus 82. It was a good gun and a great first gun. No troubles at all and I bought it used when it was probably near 10 years old. I sold it when I bought a medium framed S&W .357mag since the mag could also shoot .38spls and I didn't think at that time that I was going to own that many handguns. I'll probably be in the market for a new 82 or a used one in good condition this year.

I owned a Taurus 605. Great gun. 100% reliable, great trigger, acceptable accuracy. I only got rid of it since I decided that, as much as I love .357mag, this gun is too small and light to comfortably shoot much mag out of it and if I'm only going to shoot specials I'd rather get a lighter gun (like the Taurus 85). Sometime this year I'll probably get an 85UL (though I may get a Taurus 450 in .45lc instead/first).

Most people I've heard from who have actually owned the metal framed autos or the aluminum alloy or steel revolvers have been happy. The biggest issue with Taurus is if you get a polymer auto or a titanium revolver. I think they need to do some more work to perfect the non-traditional materials before I'll buy or recommend an auto in polymer or revolver in titanium (though I might be convinced to get a titanium 450 and a PT 145 anyway).

dude
January 28, 2003, 03:09 PM
while I am a Dan Wesson snob, the two Taurus revolvers I own/owned have performed well with no problems

-the 617T ti sunbbie .357 that I trust daily to defend my life
-and a stainless 4" stainless .357 that I sold to a freind

I'll happily buy another when they make a ti 6" .17HMR and a 9mm ti snub

dave
January 29, 2003, 07:52 AM
I have owned two Taurus revolvers, a model 85 and a model 605 and bothe performed like champs. They are good basic guns.

The model 605 has been a pleasent suprise. It has a trigger action better than any I've ever used. The fit and finish are top of the line. Shoots better than any snubbie I've ever owned.

These days it appears that there are two types of guns one can get from Taurus, a really good one or a really bad one. To bad they aren't doing a better job on QC.

dance varmint
January 29, 2003, 10:47 PM
My 605 is my first and last. It went straight back due to misfires. The turnaround was 11 days, to their credit. However, the replacement hammer had a pin (for their proprietary lock) jutting out the side, dragging on the sideplate. So I had to file that down. When detail stripping it just recently, I noticed the ill fit and finish of many internal parts.

I plan to retire it to emergency backup use (maybe buried in an ammo can somewhere), rather than wear it out and send it back repeatedly.

emann
January 30, 2003, 12:06 AM
You'll end up with 100 replies here and 50 will say one thing and 50 the other but I've had so so luck with Taurus. Never really had one long enough to make a fair evaluation. I did have a 605 revolver though and the finish was terrible. It was that shiny black version and started changing colors in places for no apparent reason. I think Taurus is one of those companies that would really like to make a good product for less money but just can't quite figure out how too.

22luvr
January 30, 2003, 09:55 AM
I've owned two Taurus revolvers and both were top-notch.
One was the Model 85 ultralite in .38 spcl. concurrently, I owned a Smith and Wesson mod 638 Bodyguard. Honestly, with my eyes closed I could not tell the difference between the two. Both had great triggers and good balance

My Taurus mod 605 was also an excellent, accurate gun. Weighing in at approximately 23 oz, it made easy work of the stoutest .357 mag loads.

I'm sure Taurus turns out a few lemons but both my Taurus revolvers were creampuffs. :D

Mastrogiacomo
January 30, 2003, 10:09 AM
My gun dealer shop had all kinds of problems with Taurus products -- pistols and revolvers. They have nothing good to say about anything made by Taurus including their customer service. That's one gun maker I'm glad can't sell in this state. Who needs the headaches when there's so many other reliable, well made guns to choose from?

James Strickland
November 13, 2006, 02:23 PM
I own both a Smith and Wesson and a Taurus 357 - I use the term "own" as opposed to "have" because of in the last 100 days the I have had the Taurus in my posession for only 10 days. The balance of the time it has been with Taurus or in transit. I have had to return it 4 times - in those 100 days- for the exact same problem. The Forcing Chamber is shaving off shreads of the copper jacketing and sends streads of copper down the barrel and exploding out the sides of the gun.
I have only used new quality -not reloaded-- ammunition and I have done side by side comparisions with my S&W using ammo from the same box. The Smitha and Wesson has never had this problem. The Taurus has had the same problem everytime only after firing a few rounds.
Yet Taurus is still imtimating that it must be me or the ammunition.
Taurus has refused to let me speak the gunsmith(s) who has (have) wroked on the gun, refused to talk with the local gunsmith that I have had look the gun and refused to answer my correspondence
If you select a Taurus based on their life time warranty you are playing the lottery. It is called a "life time" warranty because it can take a life time to them to fix the problem or replace the gun.

MCgunner
November 13, 2006, 03:34 PM
Hate porting too, but 2 for 2 have been very very good. Better than S&W of the same period by a large margin.

That has been my experience. However, all the "experts" here seem to think there is no auto, but a 1911 that's worth owning and there is no revolver, but a Smith worth owning. Take that with a grain of snob salt. I know my Taurus revolvers are excellent. I had a M19 Smith and sold it, but own a keeper M66 (based on accuracy, but functioned 100 percent). My M85UL has a better trigger than I've ever felt out of the box on ANY Smith and Wesson. Both these guns are accurate and reliable and I won't hesitate to buy another Taurus in the future.

ZeSpectre
November 13, 2006, 03:46 PM
I've had some very mixed results with Taurus. There was a thread over at the Single Action Shooter's Society that discussed the Taurus Gaucho.

Hrmm, found it... http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43372&hl=

GRIZ22
November 13, 2006, 06:32 PM
I have 2 357 669s, a 38 Model 85, and a 9mm PT92 all bought between 1988-1991. No problems period. The actions on the revolvers are not as nice as a Smith but not what I would call horrible as I've never been tempted to get any work done on them. These were bought when Taurus was just making it into the US market so maybe their quality control was better then. I would still buy another if they had something else I wanted.

oldskag
November 13, 2006, 08:03 PM
I'VE SHOT MANY BIG LOADS FROM MY RB 454 AND A TON FROM MY 357..NO PROBLEMS YET AND A JOY TO SHOOT..I'VE HEARD THE STORIES AND HOPE THEY'LL NEVER INCLUDE ME..IT WOULD JUST GIVE ME A BETTER EXCUSE TO GET MY 500 SW..

dragongoddess
November 13, 2006, 08:39 PM
The only problem I've had with my Taurus revolver is keeping it fed with 45LC ammo. Darnedest thing I've ever experienced. I get some 45LC ammo and next thing you know I'm at the range shooting it all up. Its a hungry revolver so don't get one unless you can keep it properly fed.

RH822
November 13, 2006, 09:37 PM
I currently own 4 Taurus revolvers 2 model 85's, a 669 .357 and a 94 .22lr all of them shoot very well and I have never had a problem with any of them.

RH

DFW1911
November 18, 2006, 12:56 AM
Quality control with Taurus seems to be a concern. The WORST handgun I've ever owned was a PT92 (I think that is / was the model number). It was nothing but trouble from day one and short-lived in my safe.

I had a friend who needed some cash so I bought his Model 85 (years ago) and it's a great shooter. I also have a friend who takes a 6" .44 in SS to Alaska every year and he's had no problems with that. Another friend had a PT58 (again, a guess on the model) in .380 that was iffy at best.

So would I ever buy a Taurus? Probably not. I think there are too many really fine weapons on the market to select from.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
DFW1911

edison
November 19, 2006, 11:42 AM
Taurus quality has been one of those topics discussed numerous times here and on the FiringLine. With all the recent posts on this topic (usually one every other day or so), it's hard to believe this one resurrects a three year old thread. :eek:

I'm not saying those posts aren't relevant, but do they reflect today's products. Could Taurus have put out some clunkers, sure it's possible. I'm no Taurus apologist, but I have yet to have a problem with any of my Taurus products -- that includes the 92 series and MilPros in 9 and 45. I've read of some horror stories, but that's balanced by those satisfied with their purchase. I would suspect that those with problems would be more likely to post their dissatisfaction. As they say, YMMV. Choice is a wonderful thing sometimes.

edison

MCgunner
November 19, 2006, 11:54 AM
Well, if you worry about Taurus, do what I do with ANY revolver before purchase. Check timing, barrel/cylinder gap, cylinder play and head shake, etc. I give any potential new purchase a good going over at the gunshop. Revolvers in particular are easy to QC for yourself before purchase to avoid some of the complaints I've seen on Taurus new purchases, but have also seen in other brands. If the gunshop won't let me check it out, they don't get my money, simple as that.

Manedwolf
November 19, 2006, 11:57 AM
I see an awful lot of posts by people who seem to have had one over twenty years ago, and think that has anything to do with the new ones.

To me, that'd be like someone saying "Aw, all those Japanese cars have tiny 60hp engines and only seat two people." :rolleyes: :D

MCgunner
November 19, 2006, 12:34 PM
Both my Taurus revolvers were made in the last 10 years, well, about 10 years ago, actually. I bought my M85 when I got my CCL right about the time I got my Kel Tec P11. The M66 is the transfer bar gun, not the older lockwork, so even though I bought it used, I've been told it dates back to mid 90s at best.

That M66 is an awesome accurate 4" medium frame with either .38s or .357s and I got it for under 200 bucks at a gun show. I'd rather have it in stainless, it's nickeled, but other than that it's perfect. I'll not be selling or trading this one, though I've sold or traded a M19 Smith, a Security Six, and a Rossi 971 previous to getting this Taurus. All those guns were decent, just that they didn't have the accuracy I wanted with a variety of .38 and .357 loads. This Taurus does.

old_ironsights
November 19, 2006, 10:02 PM
My daughter carries the Taurus 85 in brushed nickel that I bought
in 1982. It has never malfunctioned and for the short barrell it is
very accurate.

I taught her mother to shoot with it and when my daughter got her concealed carry permit, the training she took was with that Taurus. Over 20years, it's been to the range repeatedly, has innumerable rounds, light and +P, through it. I've had to dig out a couple of squib rounds, but there is little evidence of wear and tear after all these years.

"Inexpensive" isn't always "cheap" and
"Expensive" doesn't always mean "quality"

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Quality???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!