Revolver jammed

PDA

TexasGunbie
August 26, 2010, 08:10 PM
So I was shooting some 357 mag through my Ruger Sp101, and when I try to open the cylinder, I had trouble doing it. In fact, it took me 5 mins. Then when I finally got the cylinder open, I could push out the shells. I had to find a pen cap and push them out. It's crazy! I didn't think a revolver can jam.

Anyways, this is myth busted... a revolver can in fact jam, and it takes forever to clear that jam.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolver jammed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Alec
August 26, 2010, 08:14 PM
What happened? Split case?

S&Wfan
August 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
Yep, a revolver can jam with bulged old brass that was loaded way too hot. These were handloads, weren't they. Just be glad they didn't blow up the gun!!!

PS: A primer can also back out of an old brass cartridge that was reloaded ten times too many times.

ACP230
August 26, 2010, 08:30 PM
I have seen it happen and had it happen to me. Not always due to ammo problems either. Sometimes the ejector rod will loosen up and move forward enough to bind the cylinder. It will usually open but not easily. Slows things down a lot.

I saw a Smith snubnose, an M36, lock up solidly with the hammer back and a loaded case in the chamber. Never found out why. They guy who owned it tried a couple of things then wrapped a rag around it between the cylinder and hammer and went to find a gunsmith.

Saw a single-action revolver lock up with a .45 Colt bullet stuck in the end of the barrel. (Primer only load, no powder.) It was during a silhouette match and the coach and the shooter drove the bullet back into the cylinder with a cleaning rod.

Murphy knows where revolvers live too.

Russt
August 26, 2010, 11:34 PM
My SP has done that also. In my case it was the little screw under the crane latch, somehow it worked loose. About an 1/8 turn and it's been good to go since.

TexasGunbie
August 27, 2010, 12:16 AM
well here is what happened.

I am not sure if it's hotload, it was those cheap Monarch rounds I bought from Academy. Basically I fired about 10 rounds, and I would have no trouble opening the cylinder, but I couldn't eject the shells with the ejector rod, I would have to use a pencil to push it out.

So after the first 10 rounds, I loaded another 5 rounds and started shooting. Well this time I guess I was out of luck because after the 2nd shot, I cock the hammer back... and as I cock the hammer back, it got stuck in half cock, and the whole action was locked up. It was scary because it have no idea what to do and on top of that the hammer was half-way cocked!!! :fire:

Anyways I rock the hammer back and forth and try to pull the trigger a few times. It somehow unjammed after maybe 5 minutes of playing with it. So am I just unfortunate?? Does this happen often?

If the rounds were tooooo hot, then is it even ideal to use magnum rounds as defensive rounds??

9mmepiphany
August 27, 2010, 12:37 AM
Were there any pressure signs on the cases?
Were all the shells equally hard to eject?
Had you cleaned under the ejector star?

TexasGunbie
August 27, 2010, 12:43 AM
No it was not equally hard to eject, there were maybe 1 or 2 that came out smoothly. Then the rest had to be pushed out with a pen.

Yes I cleaned under the ejector star.

What are pressure signs?? what would I be looking for?

kris7047th
August 27, 2010, 01:17 AM
Happened to me using Fiocchi .38 in my LCR. Had to pry the cylinder open.

Old Fuff
August 27, 2010, 01:33 AM
Tex:

There is no half-cock notch or position in Ruger double-action/hand ejector revolvers, which of course includes the excellent model SP-101. You unquestionably jammed something, probably getting the trigger stuck under the hammer dog, also the cylinder latch may not have reset and then didn't unlock the cylinder if the trigger was short stroked. If these were indeed what happed the fault more likely lies with the operator, not the revolver. If all of this is Greek ask for a translation in English... :uhoh: :D

Also if you do not have a copy of the owner's manual for the SP-101 you can download a copy in .pdf format from Ruger's website, or on request they will mail you a hardcopy. As for the hard extraction, I suspect the possibility of tight chambers combined with low-quality ammunition. Any firearm is only as reliable at the fodder you feed it

If you now have lost some of your faith in this (if not all) revolvers I suggest that you return it to Ruger's service department and ask that it be fully inspected to see if they can determine what happened. Include one or two of the fired cases, but no live ammunition.

NMPOPS
August 27, 2010, 01:54 AM
You learned a few good lessons:
1. Don't use cheap ammo
2. When empties will not eject normally, that is a sign of pressure, so stop using them.
3. You need to read your owners manual

Shimitup
August 27, 2010, 01:58 AM
One more thing that can tighten one up is a powder flake under the ejector. It's happened to me a time or two.

P.S. 9mm, I just realized you already addressed that.

TexasGunbie
August 27, 2010, 01:57 PM
There is no half-cock notch or position in Ruger double-action/hand ejector revolvers, which of course includes the excellent model SP-101. You unquestionably jammed something, probably getting the trigger stuck under the hammer dog, also the cylinder latch may not have reset and then didn't unlock the cylinder if the trigger was short stroked. If these were indeed what happed the fault more likely lies with the operator, not the revolver. If all of this is Greek ask for a translation in English...

I didn't mean half cock as if my revolver has a half cock position. I mean it as it cannot be cocked all the way back but the hammer wouldn't drop neither so it was stuck in between cocked and uncocked.

No I still have faith in my sp101. It's the first time this happened, and I've been shooting cheap ammos through it for a while. So I am hoping it was just that box. It seems this had happened to other people as well. I wonder if anyone found out why it jammed for them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolver jammed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!