RL-19 and .30-06

PDA

Visionz45
August 26, 2010, 10:35 PM
Ive recently picked up a lot of powders at a yard sale and amongst it is two pounds of Alliant reloader 19. Ive got a lot of data, it seems as though it covers a wide range of velocities depending on who you look at. How are the lot to lot consistencies? How does it react to temperature swings? Best bullet weights?

If you enjoyed reading about "RL-19 and .30-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rokman
August 26, 2010, 11:35 PM
I really like Alliant powders and have produced very accurate .30-06 ammo with Nosler 168 btips and 56-56.0 grains of RL19 with Rem or Win LR primers and Winchester brass. I have had good results with it in .270 also.

Captcurt
August 27, 2010, 03:16 PM
I have 5 or 6 loading manuals and they all differ as to load data for any powder. One will list RL19 for 150 gr. bullets and another will have it listed for all weights. Pick a starting load and work up. RL 19 is a good all around powder for 06 sized cases.

nastynatesfish
August 28, 2010, 06:57 PM
I used it for a long time in my 7mm and loaded 06 for a friend of mine. Temp didn't seem to bother it at all. I loaded 57gr with 168 interbonds and they shot awesome. Get a load from you bulletmaker, different bullets from different companys will shoot totally different with the same load. I lke hornady bullets and have a hornady manual. BEWARE YARDSALE POWDER. Make sure the seals weren't broken and superglued or anything.

Rokman
August 29, 2010, 01:14 AM
Alliant's data lists a compressed load of 59.0 grains to be max for a 165 grain Speer SP bullet. As I failed to mention in my previous post, 56.5 was my second most accurate powder load with 168 grain bullets and my groups fell apart after shortly after that.

If you enjoyed reading about "RL-19 and .30-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!