Load it longer/shorter or increase the powder

PDA

Red Cent
August 27, 2010, 09:14 PM
Hit the sweet spot today (mid 860s) putting together a load for my G34. Shooting 147s copper plated and American Select. The sweet spot is with the OAL of 1.25". My chamber is deeper so I could lengthen the OAL. Then I would have to increase the load. Somewhat new to polymer. Have read that some load them out to the 1.40"s.

Do you start stretching the length til they hiccup, then back of a hundred or so?

Is there a general preference to load them long?

Going to the range in a couple of days. I have not fired for group. Just slingin' lead through a chronograph.

If you enjoyed reading about "Load it longer/shorter or increase the powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GRIZ22
August 27, 2010, 09:26 PM
Generally, loading rounds longer puts the bullet closer to the rifling and increases accuracy. It also usually increases pressure as the expanding gases meet resistance faster (the bullet engaging the rifling sooner). If you load so it will fit in the magazine first and is close to the rifling second, you may encounter problems with chambering with a slightly out of spec buller or dirty chamber. If your load is doing well on a chrono (small spread and SD) it should do well in the accuracy department. If it shoots well on paper i wouldn't try to tweak it for a few hundredths of an inch more.

That's my take and some will think I'm wrong.

Red Cent
August 27, 2010, 09:43 PM
If five of those suckers will go under 2"s at 25 yards, I'm done. Cross your fingers.

When I first started loading for the Glock, I loaded to fit the magazine. Using the barrel as a case gauge, looked good. Wouldn't shuck 'em consistently. Started to shorten 'em and decrease the load a little as I went. Needed that 860 to be safe. We will see.

AS and a 147 is nice.

jmorris
August 29, 2010, 02:43 PM
I load all of my 9mm 147g berrys to 1.160" as they feed out of everything that I have perfect. The SV/STI's prefer the long loading and they run fine out of SMG's, 9mm AR's and other pistols like glock's, XD's, M&P's. Keeps it simple.

Red Cent
August 30, 2010, 01:58 PM
With 3.0grs American Select under the 147 with 1.125" OAL I get a consistent mid 860s. Somewere from 863/867. If I shorten the OAL I will increase velocity/pressure. No big deal but I would like it close with some wiggle room (125PF). If I lengthen the case, I would need to increase the load to maintain velocity.
I plan to get to the range this week and fire for group and control.

If you enjoyed reading about "Load it longer/shorter or increase the powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!