Standard 45 Colt loads for Deer?

PDA

Blue Brick
August 28, 2010, 03:51 AM
Anyone regularly use Standard (14,000 PSI or less) loads 45 Colt loads for Deer?

If so……..

Handgun or rifle? What kind of load (handloads or commercial loads)? What kind of range? Any special strategies?

Any Pictures?

Thx.

If you enjoyed reading about "Standard 45 Colt loads for Deer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
August 28, 2010, 10:06 AM
No, but if I did and used a handgun, I'd limit myself to that distance at which I could always hit the end of a beercan--and I'd be very picky about where on the deer I wanted to hit. Neck, or a crosswise body shot to the heart/lungs. Pretty much the same with a rifle, for that matter.

However, since I'm a handloader and have a worked-over Blackhawk...

MCgunner
August 28, 2010, 03:14 PM
A 255 grain flat nose at 900+ fps will do the job just fine to 50 yards. I have hotter loads I generally use for hunting, but I've shot hogs in the trap with the lighter load and it works just fine.

Blue Brick
August 30, 2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Standard 45 Colt loads for Deer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!