My First IDPA and now I hate Pro Mags

PDA

TexasGunbie
August 28, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hi guys,

Just went to my very first IDPA shooting. It was great fun and people were extremely friendly and safe.

When I went today, there were about 20 people shooting in the match, and few of us were first-timers including myself. I brought my 1911 because it was my new toy and what's more fun than taking your new toy to your first match right? So here I am with a 1911 and the other 17 were shooting XDs, the other two were shooting a CZ and HK.

Well before the match, I went out to buy two of these 8 rounds Promags because I only had a 7 rounder. So in the match today, everything was fine until I was at a course that needed to shoot at least 22 rounds. So doing the math, if I loaded everything to the max, I would have at most 23 rounds.

So here I am loading all my magazines to max capacity, but when I did my first reload, these promags completely jammed my 1911. When I unjammed the gun, I realized the promags when loaded to max 8 rounds will have catch the bullet real tight in the magazine and will not feed at all. In fact when I tried to remove the round from the magazine, it took monstrous finger strength to yank it out.

So have anyone had any experience with the 8 rounds promags? They are just horrible. It is absolutely unreliable as an 8 rounder. It did feed without any issue with I load 7 in there. But the magazine was so sharp that it dent the casing on every bullet too. Good thing I kept my receipt.

If you enjoyed reading about "My First IDPA and now I hate Pro Mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
J.R.W.
August 28, 2010, 08:22 PM
Chip McCormick Shooting Stars are your friend.

xanderzuk
August 28, 2010, 08:25 PM
If I read it correctly, the mags are new? Load them up to the max and let them sit for a while (few days). Then unload them and load them up again. Then, fully loaded, slap them into the gun and eject them repetitively (if the springs are stiff it might even be hard to eject the fully loaded mag). Then go to the range and see how they function.

I've never tried ProMags, I have Wilson's, but they were suuuuper stiff as well. Might just need a little breaking in.

EddieNFL
August 28, 2010, 08:26 PM
Magazines are the weak link in autos. Buy once cry once.

P.S. A 22 round string isn't IDPA legal.

NCPatrolAR
August 28, 2010, 08:30 PM
ProMag is one of the last magazine brands you should ever willingly purchase. The ones that do work are certainly the excpetion and not the norm.

Larry Ashcraft
August 28, 2010, 08:31 PM
I've had some problems with the McCormick mags, but never with Wilsons

HisSoldier
August 28, 2010, 08:45 PM
I use Checkmate 8 rounders in my Marksman and CBOB, they are the only mags that could really use a bumper, as it takes a good smack to get them in with the pressure. Beyond that they work fine though.

1911 Tuner says to buy 7 rounders only. He da man!

Lvl21nerd
August 28, 2010, 08:46 PM
i havent heard much negative said about ProMags myself, but if i were buying mags for a 1911 i think i would buy MecGars or CM Shooting stars before pro-mag....unless the price was right and i felt like blowing some bread that is...

cbmax
August 28, 2010, 08:56 PM
Buy yourself some Wilson Combat 47D's. They hold eight rounds and will feed reliably in most 1911's from day one. If you want to be fancy you can also buy the new Wilson Combat Elite's but the regular 47D's are just as good. They work in my Kimber, Colt and a custom built Caspian.

CB

tlen
August 28, 2010, 09:02 PM
Never had any problems with SS CMC magazines. I prefer the 10 rounders for range work and informal matches. Buy them on sale at Midway. IMHO Wilson mags are way overpriced.

TexasGunbie
August 28, 2010, 09:38 PM
wow there are 10 rounders? what are good brand for 10 round mags?

Jim Watson
August 28, 2010, 09:54 PM
McCormick, Metalform, and Wilson make 10 round .45 magazines.
But you can't use them in IDPA.
Suggest reading the rules before tying up a lot of money in doubtful gear.

(I am now using the Tripp Cobramag in 9mm and have heard good things about their .45s.)

Zerodefect
August 28, 2010, 10:06 PM
Tripp Cobra mags.

I'm running wilsons right now. But the Tripps I've seen others use are definately a shade better.

I only load 7 rounds in my 47D's. Tac reloading a full 47'd really stinks. I use the 10round Wilson mag for reloads usually, It holds 10 round and is still easy to tac reload.

MikeNice
August 28, 2010, 10:16 PM
I have a question, why don't people use Colt mags? I hear about all of these after market mags, but nobody is using the factory stuff. Is there a good reason?

Zerodefect
August 28, 2010, 10:17 PM
Do they have metal followers?

I won't touch anything without a plastic follower with long anti-tilt skirts.

MICHAEL T
August 28, 2010, 10:35 PM
I carry Colt mags in my Colts I don't have a problem with them . I also only carry 7 round mags No 8 rounders.

TexasGunbie
August 28, 2010, 10:51 PM
well it seems like sticking with the 7 rounders are best for me then.

bds
August 28, 2010, 10:53 PM
Not to hijack the thread but one observation. One critical lesson to take away from this match shooting is - What works and what doesn't in real life.

Match shooting is our "field trial" of our equipment. It tests them under real shooting situations as to how well they will perform.

This situation demonstrates why we must buy, test and retest all of our equipment/gear so that we are fully prepared for our SD/HD situations.

Be safe and be prepared.

OK, back to OP. :D

finz50
August 28, 2010, 11:08 PM
+1 on the CMC mags.....ProMags are one of the worst aftermarket mags out there..

9mmepiphany
August 28, 2010, 11:43 PM
It never occurred to me that the reputation of Pro Mags wasn't universal.

I've always known them as outstanding for two things
1. failure drills
2. door stops

If you read Hilton Yam, of 10-8 consulting, he tested the most popular mags on the market, at the time, for his customers (SWAT members and other folks who carry a 1911 to save lives) and discovered the best combo was the Tripp CorbaMag follower/spring combined with the McCormick PowerMag mag tubes. His recommendation for a sole source provider was the McCormick PowerMag.

There is nothing wrong with the factory Colt mags, or the GI mags for that matter, but they are just not the optimal mags for the 1911 under hard use

Sapper771
August 29, 2010, 01:14 AM
I had a Sig P220 and a 1911 promag magazine. Nothing but trouble.

I have had good luck with Wilson, Chip McCormick, and Tripp cobramags. When I carried a 1911, I used Wilson ETM mags.

nwilliams
August 29, 2010, 01:14 AM
I can't believe people are still buying Pro Mags and that the company still exists for that matter. They are cheap junk plain and simple.

Seriously, when Pro Mags fail in a AK you know there is something wrong with the mag.

ugaarguy
August 29, 2010, 01:42 AM
I've had some problems with the McCormick mags, but never with Wilsons
Conversely, I've had a few problems with Wilson Mags, but never with McCormick mags.
Do they have metal followers?

I won't touch anything without a plastic follower with long anti-tilt skirts.
We're talking single stack, straight tube, 1911 mags here; not curved, double stack, AR-15 mags. Long anti-tilt legs on the followers aren't that critical, nor is it being made of plastic as opposed to metal that critical. Follower shape, feed lip contour, and spring strength are the critical aspects.

EddieNFL
August 29, 2010, 08:10 AM
wow there are 10 rounders? what are good brand for 10 round mags?
Not legal in IDPA, Tex.

I've always known them as outstanding for two things
1. failure drills
2. door stops

Always sell the strong points. ;)

earlthegoat2
August 29, 2010, 09:26 AM
ProMags have a sour reputation that even the smallest amount of online research would have revealed. They are cheap for a reason.

I hope more than one lesson has been learned here.

Hk Dan
August 29, 2010, 01:19 PM
Vital lesson learned. When they have to tell ya that they're "Pro"s, are they really? <g>

Nothing but trouble with Pro Mags, but Chip McCormick and Mec-Gar 8 rounders have been great. I use Colt 7 rounders in my 1911s too.

LawofThirds
August 29, 2010, 01:23 PM
Wilson 47 D's or Shooting Stars. Nothing else in the 8 round variety is worth touching.

cbmax
August 29, 2010, 01:42 PM
In IDPA custom defensive pistol, aren't you required to load your 1911 to full capacity which is considered 8 + 1 in the pipe?

Don't mags for reloads also have to contain 8 rounds?

CB

Deaf Smith
August 29, 2010, 02:15 PM
A good lesson here for all is this:

Before you go to an IDPA match, or any match, or hit the street with your carry gear, TEST THE EQUPMENT THOURHLY!!!!!

Don't just buy a gizmo, bolt it on (or in this case just load the mags) and expect everything to go wonderful when the real deal comes along.

Now I won’t wave a finger at you guys cause in my younger years I did the same stuff and hand problems in IPSC matches. Also had problems at the Chapman Academy in ’92 cuase I had a smith but in a new front sight on my Colt 1911, and while he promised to silver solder the sight in HE DIDN’T. It flew off right there , and my backup 1911, whom he also did the same job, failed to. But I brought a third 1911, a old Detonics Scoremaster and thus kept going.

Lessoned learned and now days I ALWAYS test my gear, even Glocks. If I buy new Glock mags, I don't carry them till I shoot them on the range, fully loaded, just to make sure (and I trust Glocks more than most guns!)

Deaf

EddieNFL
August 29, 2010, 05:08 PM
In IDPA custom defensive pistol, aren't you required to load your 1911 to full capacity which is considered 8 + 1 in the pipe?

Either 7+1 or 8+1. If you have a seven round mag, all must be loaded to seven.

HappyHunting
August 29, 2010, 05:43 PM
Buy yourself some Wilson Combat 47D's. They hold eight rounds and will feed reliably in most 1911's from day one.
CB

+1. Never had an issue shooting them in my colt. I keep the colt one in there though just because I like the flush fit look.

JTQ
August 29, 2010, 07:49 PM
B]9mmepiphany[/B] wrote,
If you read Hilton Yam, of 10-8 consulting, he tested the most popular 8rd mags on the market, at the time, for his customers (SWAT members and other folks who carry a 1911 to save lives) and discovered the best combo was the Tripp CorbaMag tubes combined with the McCormick PowerMag follower/spring.
Not true.

From Hilton Yam's 10-8 site
http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Magazines.html

If you want a nearly bulletproof 7 round magazine, you can install the Tripp Super 7 spring/follower kit inside a CMC Power Mag tube with excellent results.

Recommendation from another thread before you headed off for this first IDPA match.
There is some advantage to just going and watching your pals shoot the match the first time. You can observe what the folks are doing, and what they are using for equipment. Ask a bunch of questions. Then order what you want based on more knowledge and be better prepared for the next match.

9mmepiphany
August 29, 2010, 08:09 PM
Oops...inverted the parts :(

Fremmer
August 30, 2010, 10:05 AM
Try a McCormick 8 round shooting star mag. Bet it'll do just fine.

Throw the promags away. Lesson learned about cheap mags, huh?

W.E.G.
August 30, 2010, 10:09 AM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/pro-magrunaway.jpg

ugaarguy
August 30, 2010, 05:24 PM
Try a McCormick 8 round shooting star mag. Bet it'll do just fine.

Throw the promags away. Lesson learned about cheap mags, huh?
I bet you're right. It's also kinda funny, in a twisted sense, that the Shooting Stars are just a little more per mag than the Pro Mags. Of Course, McCormick power mags are just a little more than their Shooting Star brothers.

LeonCarr
August 30, 2010, 07:39 PM
Two words...Wilson Combat.

Take the Pro Mags out on your driveway and smash them with a hammer.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

dogtown tom
August 30, 2010, 08:49 PM
While I'm sure that someone, somewhere, sometime had a great, fantastic, bestest evar! experience with one of these brands, more often than not these are the brands that are reported as less than reliable on this forum and elsewhere.

Aftermarket Magazine Hall of Shame
(in no particular order)

ProMag
USA
Triple K
National

Even the best gun shops will carry one of the above brands to cover the price point for the customer unwilling to shell out $$$ for a factory mag or reliable aftermarket mag (like MecGar, McCormick, or Wilson).

If you enjoyed reading about "My First IDPA and now I hate Pro Mags" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!