Opinions please - 225 gr. Speer for SD

PDA

dandean316
December 11, 2003, 12:00 PM
Anyone use the 225 gr Speer bullet that is jacketed, but has the hollow point lead tip exposed for self defense? I can’t think of the bullet number now, maybe 4479?

I see these are for maximum penetration and expansion, so I was thinking they would work well for winter carry. With the BG having heavy clothes on, I thought a larger, better penetrating bullet would be better than the 185 gr JHP’s I’ve been using.

Any opinions on this?

I don't want to get into the "don't use handloads for SD" argument. Let's save that for another thread.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions please - 225 gr. Speer for SD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
popbang
December 11, 2003, 03:59 PM
I don't use the 225 grain Speer bullets as I believe they are too tough a bullet for seld defense. They are designed for hunting and to handle a fairly high velocity. I do carry 230 grain Gold Dots in .45 Colt. If you want something you can crimp look at the Remington Golden Sabers in 230 grain. Just a thought

WESHOOT2
December 12, 2003, 06:23 AM
I consider the 230g Golden Saber in either version as adequate; my personal 'SD' bullet is the non-bonded.
It's also my advised choice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions please - 225 gr. Speer for SD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!