Springfield Armory V10 Ultra Compact

PDA

Doug DeGraves
August 29, 2010, 07:28 PM
Greetings, all. I was wondering why Springfield no long has the V10 (or v16 long slide) in their catalog any more. They still have the Ultra Compact and the Longslide, but no ported guns. Were there problems, technical difficulties? Low demand, bad sellers? I saw a V16 at a gun show a while back but didn't have the money to buy it. I have the V10 and I like it very much and have had no problem, but then again I don't get to go shooting as often as I would like. It would probably be my choice for CC. Surprizingly accurate for a 3 1/2" barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Armory V10 Ultra Compact" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FLAvalanche
August 30, 2010, 10:56 AM
I don't know about their 1911s but I do know the ported XDs had some problems with slides cracking between the ports.

akadave
August 30, 2010, 02:04 PM
I had a V-10 Ultra Compact. Biggest POS I have ever owned. I sent it to the manufacturer because it would fail to feed anything but ball (and them sometimes). I tried a dozen magazines but it just never worked. Got rid of it.

David E
August 30, 2010, 02:12 PM
Mine had a faulty spring plug. They replaced it and it's been 100% ever since.

The downside is, it shoots low, so I've had to file down the front sight and keep their arcehed mainspring housing on it for pointability purposes.

I'm thinking about putting a compact red dot on it, as that should solve the whole thing.

GIJOEL
August 30, 2010, 07:50 PM
My father had one that I used to shoot a lot, it was nice. Other than sloppy SWC reloads it fed and fired everything.

Jackal1
August 30, 2010, 07:56 PM
From what I hear it had a few issues (see the comments above). Furthermore, ported guns are purchased far less than non-ported guns. In 2008 SA only sold about 11,000 handguns total while S&W sold 261,000. It would seem SA decided to stay out of the ported market because there was not enough profit to justify the effort.

sales numbers come from here:
http://www.atf.gov/statistics/download/afmer/2008-firearms-manufacturers-export-report.pdf

76shuvlinoff
August 30, 2010, 08:36 PM
I bought mine used and after a couple hundred rounds I started having issues FTF FTE. A new recoil spring and a new extractor (dropped right in) and it was back to 100%. I have no idea of the total round count.
I got rid of it because I couldn't stand the porting. Without ear plugs it was torture and then I got to thinking about firing from the hip in close quarters and eating the blast from those ports. I have other autos so I traded it for a Blackhawk.

Doug DeGraves
August 31, 2010, 07:06 PM
One of the fellows who was at the shop where i got it told me, "Never fire that thing inside of a car, it will set the headliner on fire." It sounded like he knew this from experience. I've spoken to several poeple who have not been happy with their SA pistols. If they work good, great but if not they are a pain. Are there any issues with the regular Ultra Compact? Have there been any issues with the EMP? I like the 3 1/2 barrel best, the shorter ones just don't seem right to me. Maybe Kimber will come out with a 3 1/2.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Armory V10 Ultra Compact" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!