Help installing compensator on AR

PDA

AR27
August 29, 2010, 10:09 PM
I have a dpms miculek compensator that i need info on how to install on my spikes m4 le. i have searched but not come up with much. I hear you cant just screw em on, they have to be lined up perfectly in order to work correctly. it includes an indexing jam nut, which i dont know how to use properly. can some one please point me in the right direction? -thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Help installing compensator on AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
August 29, 2010, 10:20 PM
Brownells link (http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-install-muzzle-brakes-flash-hiders-ar-15-rifle-267092/view/)

You should either have a peel washer or a crush washer.

Peel washer...peel layers off the washer until it indexs properly.

Crush washer, crank it on until it indexs.

Ed

M1key
August 30, 2010, 12:45 AM
Thread jam nut all the way on, then do the same with the comp. Orient the comp in the proper position and tighten the jam nut against the back of the comp. I also like to use a little red loctite on the threads.

Should look like this:

MoDerN_WarRioR
August 30, 2010, 02:04 AM
Thread jam nut all the way on, then do the same with the comp. Orient the comp in the proper position and tighten the jam nut against the back of the comp. I also like to use a little red loctite on the threads.

Should look like this:
This is also the way I installed mine. Red Loctite is the way to go!

jmorris
August 30, 2010, 10:07 AM
There is so much heat the red locktite won’t really do anything to help except when the barrel is cold, that is why it has a jam nut, other than that m1key has it right. If you did feel the need to put thread locker on you would have to go with something like the Rockset that AAC supplies with their suppressor mounts but again I have many thousands of rounds through my Miculek without any loosening. Also you should really try it out shooting, high speed, clocked at different angles. For example a little counter clockwise for a right handed shooter can counter the natural tendency for the rifle to recoil up and to the right better than level.

M1key
August 30, 2010, 10:33 AM
I have used ONLY red loctite on a few of my ARs to hold flash hiders and comps. The end of the barrel never gets hot enough to loosen them. Of course, I never get them smoking red-hot. Only way to get them off is heating with a propane torch. Difficult even then...

Stock bedding compound works too.

jmorris
August 30, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have used ONLY red loctite on a few of my ARs to hold flash hiders and comps. The end of the barrel never gets hot enough to loosen them.

I only use compensators on my 3 gun uppers so they get very hot. Shooting suppressed also retains a lot of heat, thus the rock set. Never had a problem with any flash hider backing off with a crush washer or peel washer.

TonyAngel
August 30, 2010, 02:50 PM
That M4 is going to be LOUD with that comp on there. Have you ever shot a rig like that? Just want to make sure that you know. After putting it on, you may not like shooting the rifle much.

I would suggest ear plugs and muffs for yourself and all of those around you.

AR27
August 30, 2010, 05:29 PM
what is indexing and how do i do it? everyone keep saying that and i dont know what it means

esheato
August 30, 2010, 05:35 PM
Most barrel attachments have to be oriented properly to work the way they're supposed to work...ie, ports horizontal to ground.

rcmodel
August 30, 2010, 05:36 PM
what is indexing and how do i do it?Indexing simply means that the exhaust ports on the comp are pointed in the right direction when you get done tightening it in place.

You don't want the ports pointing up & down when they are supposed to be pointing sideways.

Same with a flash hider. The GI flash hider has one closed slot that goes on the bottom to stop blowing up dust when shooting low to the ground. It would not do that if you tighten it down and the blocked slot is on top or the side.

"Clocking" a comp is another term you may hear.

They can be clocked slightly from ports 90 degrees out the sides to counteract the rifling twist torquing the rifle sideways and off target.

rc

AR27
August 30, 2010, 08:51 PM
o ok, thanks all. it seems pretty simple

wnycollector
August 31, 2010, 05:09 PM
That M4 is going to be LOUD with that comp on there.

I wouldn't want to be the poor guy right next to him at the range! I passed on the miculek after standing near a guy shooting one at my club!

January 3, 2011, 10:24 PM
everyone at my range usually wears hearing and eye protection. all the time.

January 3, 2011, 10:27 PM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12969/guntechdetail/Jerry_Miculek_Practical_Rifle_DVD_Segment__D1S3s2

If you enjoyed reading about "Help installing compensator on AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!