Sig 225

PDA

Dobe
August 30, 2010, 12:56 PM
I am seriously thinking about a Sig 225 for summer carry, and was wondering how many of you have this Sig, how it shoots, maintenace issues, finish issues, and do any of you have a high round count with the 225/P6?

The one I'm looking at is new, and has Sig's tritium sights on it.

Also, I need your recommendations on a good CCW holster.

I'm not interested in a high cap handgun for this purpose.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig 225" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rellascout
August 30, 2010, 04:45 PM
Milt sparks makes a nice IWB holster. I also like high noon products.

The P225 is a nice single stack 9mm. IMHO its a little bigger than it needs to be but in the right holster with the right belt it will disappear.

Dobe
August 30, 2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks,
I'm not looking for the smallest single stack I can find. I am really looking for the biggest I can carry under a T-Shirt-type-of-gun. I generally shoot better with the larger handguns. The 225 seems to be a decent sized single stack.

BAE984
August 30, 2010, 06:11 PM
My P6 has become my only carry gun anymore. It's 100% reliable and shoots straight. I have plain sights, but will probably get tritiums soon. Mine rides in a Crossbreed Supertuck, and disappears under a T-shirt. I picked out one with a near pristine finish, but it's wearing the finish pretty good from being carried and practiced with. I like the well-worn look, though. Maybe the commercial P225s have more durable finishes? I figure if mine looses most of it's blueing I'll just have it hard chromed or something.

Dobe
August 30, 2010, 06:32 PM
Or NP3ed.

9mmepiphany
August 30, 2010, 09:55 PM
It isn't a good idea to have the alloy frame hardchromed or NP3'd. Anything that removes the surface finish on a Sig frame weakens it and can throw tolerances off. Check with CCR, they really have down refinishing Sigs without compromising the gun.

I have a couple of P6s and was surprised to find that they are about the same width as my 228...the grip panels are thicker

AK103K
August 30, 2010, 10:05 PM
I have a couple of P6s and was surprised to find that they are about the same width as my 228...the grip panels are thicker
I thought the same thing, and thinking realistically about it, why bother with the single stacks, when the double stack isnt really any larger and you get the extra on board ammo, and now, cheaper and easier to find mags.

Fumbler
August 30, 2010, 11:47 PM
The lower and middle part of the grip on a 225 and 228 may be around the same width, but the biggest difference is the lack of a decocker hump on the 225.
I own both and love the 225 more because of this. It fit my hand better and the decocker hump on the 228 tends to push the butt of the gun outward when carried IWB. The only advantage the 228 has is capacity.

I am seriously thinking about a Sig 225 for summer carry, and was wondering how many of you have this Sig, how it shoots, maintenace issues, finish issues, and do any of you have a high round count with the 225/P6?
To sum up the 225...it's just like every other classic Sig. It shoots wonderfully, doesn't need any special care, the slide finish on Sigs has never been a strong point, but it's not bad. I've got maybe 1k rounds through mine but it was a police trade in, so there's no telling how many rounds it's got. It must have at least a few thousands of rounds but it's still going strong and is more accurate than my 228, which has probably close to 10k rounds.
That's not really a lot of rounds.

evan price
August 30, 2010, 11:59 PM
I enjoy my single-stack Sigs for carry- the P225/P6 and P239 are carried more than anything else. I like Don Hume holsters, the JIT Slide specifically. The guns are darn near indestructible, accurate, and I never felt like I didn't have enough ammo, especially compared to J-frame S&Ws. I like the single-stack because it is lighter than a double stack, a little slimmer, but big enough to fill your hand and get good control when firing.

ABTOMAT
August 31, 2010, 12:13 AM
How do the P6/P225 Pachmayr grips compare?

9mmepiphany
August 31, 2010, 01:12 AM
How do the P6/P225 Pachmayr grips compare?
To what?

ABTOMAT
August 31, 2010, 01:24 AM
To stock grips. I generally like the feel of their grips but I wouldn't want to fatten a P6 too much. The slimness is the main appeal.

9mmepiphany
August 31, 2010, 02:02 AM
The Pachmayr grips are a lot thicker than the plastic grips. With their "thumb rest" they are almost as thick as wooden grips.

You might check if Hogue has come out with their aluminum or G-10 grips panels yet

dogsoldier0513
August 31, 2010, 10:45 AM
Among certain 'factions', SIG's P225 is THE sign of a dedicated pistolero. The P225/P6 is EXTREMELY underated in today's world of 'hi-cap wundergunz'. For such a 'classic', I'd prefer a quality LEATHER holster, preferrably something along the lines of an 'Askin's Avenger'.

Guns and more
August 31, 2010, 11:11 AM
I've considered a 225 also because I don't like the blocky grip on the double stack 226.
I can't find one to hold. What is the reach to the trigger like? (I think the 226 has a long reach)

dogsoldier0513
August 31, 2010, 11:17 AM
The trigger reach on most SIGs can be addressed by installing a short OEM trigger. FWIW, if you've ever held an S&W M39 or Walther P38, then you have a pretty good idea of how a P225 will feel.

ABTOMAT
August 31, 2010, 11:28 AM
Going by memory when I last handled both, the 225 felt pretty much like the 226, just thinner and not as nose-heavy.

9mmepiphany
August 31, 2010, 11:32 AM
preferrably something along the lines of an 'Askin's Avenger'.
At least give correct credit :)...the Askin's Avenger is a copy of Bruce Nelson's Professional which was licensed to Milt Sparks to be produced as the 55BN

The trigger reach on most SIGs can be addressed by installing a short OEM trigger
Be careful and try the short trigger first. While it may feel more comfortable with the trigger forward, many have found that they run out of finger travel as they near the end of the stroke and end up jerking the trigger

SwampWolf
August 31, 2010, 12:42 PM
I've considered a 225 also because I don't like the blocky grip on the double stack 226.
I can't find one to hold. What is the reach to the trigger like? (I think the 226 has a long reach)

You might want to give the new E2 models a "feel". The changes in dimensions are subtle but significantly enhance the handling imo-and I have fairly large hands.

Dobe
August 31, 2010, 12:48 PM
I will make a decision by Friday. Right now, I'm 50/50.

Cosmoline
August 31, 2010, 01:26 PM
I loved my P225 and regret selling it. It was one of the few semis that I've liked.

The P226 leather would sometimes work for it, but I believe there are outfits selling leather for it specially. GREAT shooting semi. Very very accurate and very natural. More like a good revolver than a semi.

jeepguy
August 31, 2010, 08:22 PM
i bought a p6 and for the size/weight difference between the p6 & the p228/p229 is minimal. p6 length 7.1" height 5.2" width 1.3" wt. 28oz. p229 length 7.1" height 5.4" width 1.5" wt.30.5oz. when you look at them side by side it just makes more sense to get the extra rounds for the small differences. i carry kimber pro carry .45 but i think if i were to carry something else it would be the sig p228/p229. but you cant go wrong with a non polyomer frame sig.

BAE984
August 31, 2010, 10:06 PM
It isn't a good idea to have the alloy frame hardchromed or NP3'd. Anything that removes the surface finish on a Sig frame weakens it and can throw tolerances off. Check with CCR, they really have down refinishing Sigs without compromising the gun.

Yeah, I meant just the steel parts. No wear whatsoever on the frame....

CCRs stuff looks good, but I wonder about how quickly that finish wears. Hardchrome wouldn't look as good, but it'd certainly be tough. Anyway, not really relevant to the OP's post....

9mmepiphany
September 1, 2010, 02:13 AM
On the steel parts, I can recommend the Cera-Plate...it is very hard...it isn't a spray and bake like Cera-Hide.

What sets CCR apart is their attention to detail in the surface prep

Dobe
September 1, 2010, 12:57 PM
Would there be a problem with NP3 on the steel parts, since it is self lubricating?

9mmepiphany
September 1, 2010, 02:45 PM
I would not think it a problem...NP3 is electroless nickle with a teflon additive, Cera-Plate is electroless nickle (which I think is pretty slick already)

My preference of companies is based on their customer service

Dobe
September 1, 2010, 03:54 PM
I understand, and if I do acquire the 225, it will not need a refinish for some time. I was just wondering.

Also, I've never owned a Sig. I've always wondered how they hold up (the alum. framed models) with the frictions between the steel and aluminium. I realize there is an annodized finish on the frame, but I guess it just seems as though there would eventually be a problem.

ABTOMAT
September 1, 2010, 04:19 PM
A huge number of auto pistols made since the '50s have had aluminum frames. On a quality gun I don't think I've heard wear issues unless they were shot enough to kill any firearm.

9mmepiphany
September 1, 2010, 06:38 PM
I've never owned a Sig. I've always wondered how they hold up (the alum. framed models) with the frictions between the steel and aluminium. I realize there is an annodized finish on the frame, but I guess it just seems as though there would eventually be a problem.

The best way to safe guard a Sig is to lube the rails on the frame with a grease, like Slide Glide or Lubriplate) rather than an oil when you're going to subject it to the heat of heavy training.

Here is what I consider the definitive guide to lubrication of a Sig:
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&f=430601935&m=908103701&r=7680090222#7680090222

September 1, 2010, 08:10 PM
The SIG P225 is a superb pistol and just as reliable as its bigger brother the P220. I've put over 10k rounds through one of my P220s and over 3k through the P225 without any problems from either and 95% of those rounds have been reloads. However, I recently discovered that my P225 doesn't like Remington 88gr JHP ammunition. I have no idea where that ammunition came from but a few weeks ago I headed off to range with a box of that stuff and the P225 had feeding issues. It's NEVER had a single problem with 115gr or 124gr JHP/FMJ ammunition. I do have two minor complaints about the P225, first, the cost of the magazines, and second, the lack of Hogue grips like the ones shown on the P220 below. I bought a set of Pachmayr grips but returned them ... I wasn't impressed with the fit or the feel. I've considered buying a set of G10 grips from Hogue but they're expensive at around $130. If I ever move to a state that actually allows and issues CC permits, the P225 will be my choice for a semi-auto.

NIB German P225s are available online.

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/pistols/sig_p220/photos/p220&p225.jpg

:)

rellascout
September 1, 2010, 08:40 PM
Lube it properly and it will last longer than you or I will. :D

September 1, 2010, 09:04 PM
Here is what I consider the definitive guide to lubrication of a Sig:

I read through the thread in the link and was wondering if Mobil 1 synthetic grease (red) would be a good choice for the rails? Geissele includes a little vial of that stuff with their SSA triggers. I use it on my Remington bolts.

9mmepiphany
September 2, 2010, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't speak for the author of that thread, but I'd say you'd be OK with the Mobil 1...you're talking about the axel grease right?

LibertySympathizer
September 2, 2010, 12:02 AM
recently discovered that my P225 doesn't like Remington 88gr JHP ammunition

That wasn't accidently 9mm Short, aka .380ACP was it?

I happen to have that same Remington grain ammo for one of my .380's, so maybe if yours was an older box, it might have had the word short written in a less obvious way.

September 2, 2010, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't speak for the author of that thread, but I'd say you'd be OK with the Mobil 1...you're talking about the axel grease right?

Yes, I'm talking about Mobil 1 axle/wheel bearing/chassis grease. I've always used oil in the past but after reading Flork's "Internal Pistol Lubrication" post I think I'll try using grease on the frame rails.

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/other_products/mobil_1_synthetic_grease.aspx

That wasn't accidently 9mm Short, aka .380ACP was it? I happen to have that same Remington grain ammo for one of my .380's, so maybe if yours was an older box, it might have had the word short written in a less obvious way.

I'm 99% sure it's 9mm Luger ammunition but I'll check when I get home. I may have been given it a number of years ago since I don't remember buying it. The OAL is very short though and that's why the P225 doesn't like it. If I had a 9mm revolver I could put it to good use but as it is, it's basically useless.

Dobe
September 2, 2010, 03:27 PM
Last question:
Is the 225 +P rated? If I get it, it will be tomorrow.

September 2, 2010, 04:42 PM
Is the 225 +P rated? If I get it, it will be tomorrow.

According to SIG's website .... HERE (http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/Faq.aspx) ....

Q: Can I use +P or +P+?
A: +P Ammo manufactured to SAAMI/CIP/NATO specs is fine to use as a defensive round or for occasional range use. Continual use of this round will make it necessary for more frequent service on the pistol. We do NOT recommend the use of any +P+ round. This may void your warranty.

Here's a good review of the P225. The author tested Winchester +P+ ammunition in the P225.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Critical%20Look%20at%20SIG%20Sauer%20P225.htm

That wasn't accidently 9mm Short, aka .380ACP was it?

I checked again and it's 9mm Luger ... here's a photo. It states on the box "a superior round for all automatic pistol applications" ... just not the P225 I guess.

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/pistols/sig_p225/photos/rem_88gr_9mm_luger.jpg

9mmepiphany
September 2, 2010, 05:14 PM
It states on the box "a superior round for all automatic pistol applications" ... just not the P225 I guess.

don't feel bad, it wouldn't feed in my S&W M39 or H&K P7 either...it's just too short

LibertySympathizer
September 2, 2010, 11:13 PM
Well, got something to practice your tap-rack drills. :)

Dobe
September 3, 2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. After I handled it again today, I decided against it. It just didn't feel right. On an up note, I did pick up a 1971 Model 41 Smith. I'll be at the range tomorrow.

whatnickname
September 5, 2010, 01:10 AM
Ther seem to be quite a few P6 LEO trade-ins out there...seems like I read somewhere that they have been imported from Germany where they were issued to the police agencies over there. The price on the GB site tends to hover around the $400 mark. I have also read that these guns were throated for ball ammo only. Have any of you run any hollow point ammo in these imports? If so, how did they run? Was there any preference for one style of hollow point over another?

9mmepiphany
September 5, 2010, 01:38 AM
The P6 was the Sig submission to the Police Handgun Trials following the '72 Munich Olympics...their Police were upgrading their duty guns from 7.65mm (.32) to 9mm. The P6 passed the trials along with the P5 (Walther) and the P7 (H&K) and different departments had their choice of guns...the P6 was the most selected choice.

I got mine a couple of years back and the OTD price was a bit <$350. Mine feed hollow points just fine (Speer 124gr Gold Dot) but there were some early examples which did not...it's just a quick polish to straighten out the feed ramp.

Mine have been very accurate and the only thing that has to be done is a lighter mainspring...the factory one is 24lbs

Dionysusigma
September 5, 2010, 03:43 AM
I went a slightly different route than the oft-touted "ramp and throat polish" solution. Yes, the hammer spring was changed out to factory P225-weight (what a chore that was!), but taking my time, I smoothed by hand with a water stone most of the bearing surfaces throughout the entire pistol (excluding critical points like the sear and safety contacts). Not mirror-polishing, but enough to iron out any kind of grittiness and get it to a butter-like feel. Also did some exterior barrel work, too, fitting the chamber a little more snugly to the ejection port for example. When it came time to give the ramp and throat some attention, I used nothing more than a drop or two of Flitz on a q-tip, light pressure, 5-10 minutes of swabbing, a blast of carb cleaner, and a dusting of Moly lube rubbed in with the other side of the q-tip.

The end result is a slightly beleaguered-looking P6 (which is how it looked when I got it) that has never once had a failure of any kind, can shoot 1" groups at 25' if I'm patient, and will digest anything from the occasional superlight <100gr loads all the way up to what I use for SD, Federal 147gr HP.

Of all the handguns I've ever owned, this is the one that truly feels "mine." :)

PAPACHUCK
September 5, 2010, 06:34 AM
If I were to get a single stack Sig for CCW, the P239 would get the nod. Same slim grip as the P225/P6, but in a smaller, lighter package. I prefer the fatter grip of the double stack more, so I choose a P229 in 9mm and I am SO happy with it.

wildboar
September 5, 2010, 10:50 AM
Wow I see the price on a new-in-box 225 has about doubled from 5-6 years ago. These used to be the neglected, single-stack, "can't get excited about it because doesn't hold 30 rounds" great price. Now I see they are $900-1000+.

Dobe
September 5, 2010, 11:17 AM
They can be found for $770-830.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig 225" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!