How to Get a Mossberg 500 Stock Off?

PDA

Brass Rain
August 30, 2010, 07:08 PM
Sounds like it would be obvious, I know. Take off the rubber plate and use a long, flat-head screwdriver to remove the screw inside the stock. But that's not working. It feels like they welded the thing in there. I'm bracing it as well as I can, and am even working the screwdriver with a wrench at the base, and it hasn't even budged. I added a few drops of oil to try to lubricate the screw from the washer, but still nothing.

Any ideas? I ordered a collapsible stock to put on, and figured I'd try putting on the pistol grip my 500 came with just to try it out before the new stock comes in. But this is really frustrating. :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "How to Get a Mossberg 500 Stock Off?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
August 30, 2010, 07:14 PM
Give the screwdriver a good sharp RAP! while trying to turn it. That will usually break free stuck fasteners...

Brass Rain
August 30, 2010, 07:54 PM
Give the screwdriver a good sharp RAP! while trying to turn it. That will usually break free stuck fasteners...
Yeah, smacking it a little didn't seem to do anything, and I don't want to risk stripping the screw. I've wrapped the end with some electrical tape, but if I mar it beyond repair, I'll be stuck. And it hasn't moved a bit. Would this be something to bug Mossberg or a gunsmith over? I don't want to think that it's just not possible to get off. I mean it's just a screw, it shouldn't be this difficult.

fattboyzz
August 30, 2010, 08:08 PM
mine was actually a 1/2'' bolt with a screwdriver slot in it ....

did ya check it ? maybe you can get it with a socket ,extension an ratchet ..

Brass Rain
August 30, 2010, 08:19 PM
mine was actually a 1/2'' bolt with a screwdriver slot in it ....

did ya check it ? maybe you can get it with a socket ,extension an ratchet ..
No, I'm pretty sure it's just a round-headed screw.

ThePunisher'sArmory
August 30, 2010, 08:24 PM
Yah the old ones had round head screws. Heres what I did. Get a 1/4 drive flathead screwdriver bit, a 1/4 socket on an extention, and a reg. ratchet or breaker bar. hold down on the ratchet while trying to losten the bolt. This will give you better leverage. Works for me on all my "older" guns. Hope this works.

shockwave
August 30, 2010, 08:35 PM
When I took mine off, it was some kind of bolt with a hex-slot in it that needed an allen wrench to remove it. Shine a light in there so you're sure what it is you're trying to remove.

RandKL
August 30, 2010, 08:44 PM
Remove the trigger group and rotate the stock to loosen it.

rich

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
August 30, 2010, 09:03 PM
Those suckers can be a little rough sometimes. Especially if they have been in "weather". First off, Spray just a touch of WD40 in there and then try the 1/4 drive with extension suggestion first. If that doesn't work, go for RandKL's suggestion of removing the trigger group and rotating it slightly to loosen it. If it is an older model 500 it will indeed be a bit of a bear sometimes. Good luck

Oh yeah, If it isn't too much for you to afford, I personally would replace it with a hex head so you wont run into that problem again. Much more leverage with them.

evan price
August 31, 2010, 12:49 AM
+1 on using a screwdriver bit in a socket on a long extension and a 1/4" ratchet. Works for me every time.

stickhauler
August 31, 2010, 12:54 AM
Or get one of those small impact drivers that use screwdriver bits, like you'd use on motorcycles, they're pretty cheap, and you know you'll find future uses for it anyway.

JFrame
August 31, 2010, 09:52 AM
A ratchet wrench with an extension arm and the appropriate head was by FAR the easiest solution for my 500...

Guns and more
August 31, 2010, 12:14 PM
Are you sure it is a slotted screw? Mine was a 1/4" hex.

JFrame
August 31, 2010, 03:39 PM
Are you sure it is a slotted screw? Mine was a 1/4" hex.

Mine was a slotted hex screw...

non2os13
August 31, 2010, 10:20 PM
mine unscrews from the reciever with some profanity and veins popping out of my forehead.

Dookie
September 1, 2010, 02:53 AM
after you have it out go to the hardware store and buy a hex head for it and no more problems in the future. I did and it is nice.

Slotted head screws are stupid and should never be used ever again for any reason. Grrrr.

phopalex
September 1, 2010, 12:46 PM
It is a massive pain, I just literally did the same thing to my new 500. It looks as if it is just a screw, but it is actually a bolt. A good socket or ratchet set would help you with removing it, that's what I had to do. Although, that pistol grip, while looking cool, isn't necessarily the most fun to shoot, which you probably know. The collapsible stock on mine is so comfortable to shoot, it's almost a joke.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to Get a Mossberg 500 Stock Off?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!