The Shield

PDA

Shane
January 22, 2003, 08:12 PM
Anyone watch this show?

Last nights episode was sort of surprising I thought.

Anyone see last night's episode?

If you enjoyed reading about "The Shield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spacemanspiff
January 22, 2003, 08:29 PM
yeah. some weird twists.

why is it that every time theres a cop-show they always have to tie in that criminals have easy access to full-auto weapons? from nypd to 3rd watch to the shield, every one of those always shows bad guys with full-autos. that was a first however, seeing mp5's. a few points for originality there.

kinda weird, but since the beginning of this year, i think i've seen more murders on tv than in the last year combined. between watching 'the shield', '3rd watch', 'nypd', 'oz', i must have watched at least 25 murders.

Dr.Rob
January 22, 2003, 08:31 PM
Yeah but noone got shot with the mp-5k.

It's an interesting show. Not one to let the kids watch.

Hkmp5sd
January 22, 2003, 08:40 PM
One interesting point from The Shield is the way the scene was handled, you didn't get the impression that full autos were common or easy to come by. In most cop shows, everyone and his brother has a full auto.

BTW, how do you like the "straight and narrow" police commander that wanted to bust Mackey is now helping and protecting him? Guess he had a sell-out price too, it just wasn't money.

BamBam
January 22, 2003, 08:41 PM
I love The Shield.
Almost Soprano quality.
I'm never sure if Mac is good or bad. I really want another story with Dutch hunting serial killer; one that goes on for a few episodes.

Dave Williams
January 22, 2003, 08:41 PM
it's strange seeing it on normal tv. It's like a rated R movie. I'm glad Vick packs the 4506. Very cool. The Captain becoming dirty totally elevated this show this year, and made it much better. Other movies/shows where the bad guy is the one you root for - Payback with Mel Gibson, and Way of the Gun.

Dave

Shane
January 22, 2003, 09:10 PM
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
##
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

Vic was seriously shot in last night's episode. What still boggles my mind, is why would a detective go into a dangerous environment without a bullet resistent vest on?

Shane
January 22, 2003, 09:12 PM
BTW, how do you like the "straight and narrow" police commander that wanted to bust Mackey is now helping and protecting him? Guess he had a sell-out price too, it just wasn't money.

If you're talking about the Latino fellow (the guy in charge of the station), he started out straight but in the middle of season one his dirty side was showed little by little. He's been dirty for several episodes now.

techmike
January 22, 2003, 09:34 PM
Vic was seriously shot in last night's episode. What still boggles my mind, is why would a detective go into a dangerous environment without a bullet resistent vest on?

I thought that too. Also as soon as he passed that corridor without clearing it I said out loud "He just messed up". Next thing you know he was getting shot. Why won't people on tv ever take my tactical advice??:scrutiny:

notbubba
January 23, 2003, 12:03 AM
techmike,
"Why won't people on tv ever take my tactical advice?"

Wake up, you're in Kentucky most shows are shot in California,
you need to yell much louder for them to hear you.:D

techmike
January 23, 2003, 12:21 AM
I guess that would 'splain it. Next time I'll just yell louder.:what:

V-fib
January 23, 2003, 12:53 AM
I work on Tuesday nights so I tape the show. My wife and I like to watch it together. We call Mackeys sidekicks “the three stooges”. Also explained to her an excellent example of a “double tap” when the female sargent shot the Arab dude. Much better than NYPD blue. I like it so much I might get the DVD of the first season.:cool:

ed dixon
January 23, 2003, 02:08 AM
Michael Chiklis definitely was the best thing on TV last year and this year's season is starting off strong. Figure Vic pulled an Austin Powers and stole Tony Soprano's mojo last year. The Sopranos did have some riveting storylines though. Did ya see the one where Tony's horse had a pet goat?:scrutiny:

slh02
January 23, 2003, 02:16 AM
The Shield has quickly become my favorite show. I began watching it when it first came on, forgot about it and now have picked up since the premier of the second season. My question is about the suave, tire loving mexican druglord that Vic personally introduced to the electric stove. It seemed to me that this guy would be a major adversary throughout the entire season, but it seems as though he just kinda dropped off the radar. I mean, there wasnt even a mention of what happened to him. Anyone have any info on him or any other parts that he may have to do with the series. He was a guy that you really loved to hate.

ed dixon
January 23, 2003, 02:46 AM
In the last ten minutes of the sixth episode, he surprises Vic with a knife attack outside a bar. Vic subdues him but then finds out the druglord has kidnapped his youngest child. Seriously, that hard look on the guy's scorched face makes me think he'll be back for revenge.

slh02
January 23, 2003, 03:48 AM
Did you just come up with that, or did you actually read that somewhere? You should have also added toothless in your description along with scorched. You have to love that Vic knocked half the guys teeth out with the book of law. That was just classic. :)

Kahr carrier
January 23, 2003, 06:32 AM
That stove scene was pretty brutal.:what:

BamBam
January 23, 2003, 09:24 AM
I didn't notice that Vic used a law book to bust the guy's teeth out! How poetic.

DeltaElite
January 23, 2003, 09:48 AM
It's a pathetic show. A cop who acted like that deserves to be in prison.

People claim to abhore police abuse, but they watch and praise a show where the main character is an abusive psycho cop. Go figure. :rolleyes:

ed dixon
January 23, 2003, 09:56 AM
He does belong in prison. The fact that the character remains compelling is a credit to the acting and the writing. See, he's a complex person, not all good or all bad. That makes him more interesting than 99% of the creations that are dumbed down for a general audience. Oh, never mind.

DeltaElite
January 23, 2003, 09:59 AM
Well if you are looking for quality entertainment on the TV, then you are....... ohhhh, nevermind. ;)

Bainx
January 23, 2003, 10:23 AM
I agree with DeltaElite. It is a pathetic show.
It glorifies a slimy, crooked, bald headed, bag of hot air cop who should be behind bars.

ed dixon
January 23, 2003, 10:37 AM
Touche', Delta.

bogie
January 23, 2003, 11:12 AM
Now if we could just partner him with the dude from Training Day...

bamf
January 23, 2003, 12:28 PM
Calm down guys...you sound like the Italian American anti-defimation league talking aboutr the Sopranos. How they are showing Italians in a negative light.

Not every TV show can be about true blue heroes. If they were, wouldn't that be boring. And it's only a TV show!

DeltaElite
January 23, 2003, 01:33 PM
I know, I know....... but ya gotta remember this is the same lot that frags every dirty cop that makes the papers, but wants to watch them on a TV show. :banghead:

The Sopranos are non govt crime, I can find it entertaining, even though I don't watch it. Remember "Wiseguy"? That was a great show.
The Shield, NYPD Blue and a few others are govt crime and I just don't find it entertaining. Dirty cops are lower than the regular criminal element.
Corrupt govt should be vilified, not glorified as a TV show.

Joe Demko
January 23, 2003, 02:07 PM
The only screen bad guy I root for is Hannibal Lecter. Tony Soprano, Vic, et. al. all lack a certain charisma. Maybe because Hannibal (apparently) does the things he does strictly for the joy it brings him.

Russ
January 23, 2003, 02:34 PM
I think Chickless (sp?) is an anti gun liberal after seeing him on the Bill Maher show a couple of years ago. Howwever, I like this series alot. This one, 24, and the Dead Zone are really good.

CZ-75
January 23, 2003, 03:29 PM
ya gotta remember this is the same lot that frags every dirty cop that makes the papers, but wants to watch them on a TV show.

However, it is just that -- a TV show. We'd want Vic Mackey's a-- in a sling if he did this for real. Fortunately, it's only make believe.

It's way more entertaining than watching someone get their finger cut off or a dog getting a face full of double ought. :D

BamBam
January 23, 2003, 10:59 PM
Vics doesn't hurt innocent citizens (very often). His corruption revolves around hoarding drug money. He also keeps a lot of gang activity under control: prevents turf wars, etc.

I'm sure not defending his conduct, just trying to show why his JBT practices are more acceptable that the real ones we discuss here.

Shane
January 24, 2003, 12:20 AM
A cop who acted like that deserves to be in prison.

I totally agree. I'm sure most folks would also agree.

People claim to abhore police abuse, but they watch and praise a show where the main character is an abusive psycho cop. Go figure.

While most cops do a good honest job, there ARE the rare bad ones out there like Vic. I think its only natural to show BOTH sides. TV shows that portray cops as only good god-like men are unrealistic IMO. In the real world, there are a small percentage of cops like Vic. I don't think the show glorifies bad cops, rather I think the show tells us both sides of the story.

For example, even the "bad" cops in The Shield have good sides and have done good things. A lot of the characters are shades of gray, rather than all good or all bad (as is in real life). I like the way the show gives us a realistic look at people (rather than the "all good" and "all bad" people in so many other shows).

YMMV

SteelyDan
January 24, 2003, 12:54 AM
It does bother me that the series, by design or otherwise, is glorifying a crooked cop (or several). But for sheer "hang on to your pants" excitement, I can't think of anything on TV that can top it.

Russ
January 24, 2003, 09:23 AM
SteelyDan,

You are right. If this was real life, this would be terrible. However, for fiction T.V. which is MAKE BELIEVE, you cant' beat it.

Russ

jim
January 24, 2003, 10:00 AM
i have made a similar response on other gun boards so here it goes.
the sheild was supposed to be titled "rampart" after that division in la. however the stink raised from lapd about the title made it be changed to the sheild.
i do find it interesting that anytime a controversial tv program is going to be aired you see a major ad blitz about how the show is going to be boycotted, before it's even aired. yet nothing as of yet against the sheild (interesting).
the running debate a work is "good cop, bad cop" i say after the last episode he is a dead cop.
this last one tripped me out. the scene where dutch and his partner (cch pounder) ask the neighbors to come downtown to look through pics, and while getting his jacket on, a flash of the b/room, where that women is hung up in the shower, and you can see what looks like a tourniquet on her l/arm!!!!!
the amadeio drug guy scenario that was mentioned is a plausable end of season cliffhanger one.
i have $20 that says mackey does the auditor who is snooping around the precient house. either sexually or she ends up a victim of a driveby..........
edge of seat entertainment for what is considered cable/commercial tv.
i do notice that nypd blue is using some interesting language. that episode where connie tells that druggie when they are looking for the child.
DON'T BULL**** ME" i turn to the missus and ask "did i just here that" it seems that regular commercial tv is going to the edge with sexual content and profane language to attract more viewers. theis up coming season there will be a show based on a mexican druglord family.
24 is good too. i think that the pres has an idea that his X is in cahoots with those against him on gov agencies. and i called it that the one who had ties to sa'id ali was the daughter. there were telltale hints in the episode prior to this last one and about 1/4 way through the show it gelled up pointing to her.

now how about that barney fellow!!!!!
i here that they will be doing a 3 parter for kids about gender issues.
his intro song will go

l
i love you
you love me
can you say.... sodomy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "The Shield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!