older 870

PDA

tango3065
January 22, 2003, 08:20 PM
Hey guys I bought today a 870 21''incher with full turkey choke for 150.00 it will have to be refinished from wear an light surface rust it looks to have been used alot but still great mechanicly, was this a good price also who would be good to refinish this gun oh also it has a camo stock but kinda needs redone.

If you enjoyed reading about "older 870" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
January 22, 2003, 08:57 PM
For a mechanically solid 870 that is a good price, I will buy every one I can find for that price.

Unless you want a shiny finish I would 1) give it the krylon touch, paint it, or 2) have it parkerized. If you paint it you can touch up for life with a $3 can of paint. Rust? Never if the paint is intact. Ugly? More than likely unless you are somewhat artistic. If you park you will have a durable finish that will hold oil well. Dull and dark too, good on a turkey gun. Parking it should only be $100 tops, and likely under $75. Lots of hobbyists park guns, you could even help if you ask, and get it done for a 12 pack.

9mmMike
January 22, 2003, 09:35 PM
If there was a store selling 150.00 870's around here, I'd be in big trouble!
I paid 155 for my last one and it was well-used. I refinished the wood and it is still well-used but I am tickled with it.
Good deal and good luck.
Mike

RussB
January 22, 2003, 09:56 PM
Wilson's Combat willtotally refurbish your shotgun, including Parkerizing for $200. That is called the "Remington Steal" package. They will do just the Parkerizing on a shotgun for $80.

Wilson (www.wilsoncombat.com)

labgrade
January 22, 2003, 11:53 PM
"Surface rust" usually means you've got some inside as well. Too, springs are particularily prone to rust - do a tear down to make sure = cheap insurance, takes ten minutes & will allow some familiarity if you're not already to speed.

BTW, great deal on an outstanding package = my all-'round fave firearm. I paid easily twice that for new.

Far as camo goes, the worse the better. ;) No game animal gives points on how it looks - only on how they don't see it.

Dave McCracken
January 23, 2003, 04:55 AM
$150? Good price, even if it needs a little TLC.

I suggest following Labgrades's advice. Check the inside for corrosion and grunge. 870's are easy to take apart and put together.

An aside, a full set of choke tubes and some mild mods(Trigger job, long forcing cone) will give you a real do anything shotgun. Enjoy...

ruger357
January 23, 2003, 07:12 AM
You did good. Enjoy it.

tango3065
January 24, 2003, 04:29 PM
Nope no rust just a lot of gunk, im having problems finding someone in my are to parkerize it. Also what is the best way to get the surface rust off?

labgrade
January 24, 2003, 07:50 PM
Surface rust can be attacked pretty good with either 000-0000 steel wool or the roughest (brain fade) plastic scrubby-thing ... oh yeah = Scotch Guard stuff.

Wipe some BreakFree on it during & after.

tango3065
January 24, 2003, 08:08 PM
:) Thanks guys I have found a pro who is going to bead blast and blue for 50. bucks and this is hot blue, now i need a nice synthetic stock or someone to recamo my wood one. Also great forum with great answers.

Dave McCracken
January 25, 2003, 07:50 AM
Re camoing your wooden stock is no problem. Use some 4/0 steel wool to SLIGHTLY roughen the finish and then use bow spray paint to mix and match your hunting habitat. Two or three colors is plenty.

I just do flat black myself, and renew as needed. Sounds like you've got a great shooter there...

tango3065
January 25, 2003, 11:22 PM
I finally sanded all the paint off and have decided to redo the wood since it looks so nice, would anyone have opions on birchwood casey tru oil?

Dave McCracken
January 26, 2003, 09:22 AM
Tru Oil's a good finish, follow the directions and you'll do OK.

Caveat, use good ventilation and in an ambient temperature of 60 or more.

HTH...

If you enjoyed reading about "older 870" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!