Extended Slide Release on 1911

PDA

Alec
September 2, 2010, 05:56 PM
Looking at picking up a Wilson Combat extended slide release for a Springfield. Has anyone seen any reliability or lockup problems after changing from stock slide release?

If you enjoyed reading about "Extended Slide Release on 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jolly Rogers
September 2, 2010, 06:14 PM
In several years of reading about 1911's on the various forums I have read multiple posts of malfunctions due to the extended slide stops. It in my opinion is a solution in search of a problem.
Joe

huntershooter
September 2, 2010, 06:36 PM
As stated; an ingenious solution to a non existent problem.
A.) Use your left thumb to drop the slide (for right handers).
B.) You will experience a failure of slide to lock back on empty magazine, shooting "Hi thumb".

9mmepiphany
September 2, 2010, 06:56 PM
While I don't advocate nor teach releasing the slide with the slide stop, if you must do it and have a problem reaching it with your shooting thumb...use your other thumb, it's even faster

The Lone Haranguer
September 2, 2010, 07:05 PM
I've read :scrutiny: that the added length and weight can cause them to bounce up under recoil and engage the slide notch, thereby locking the slide open, even if there are still rounds in the magazine. As noted, if you're shooting two-handed you can trip a standard one with your support hand thumb, but it is not that hard to do the "reacharound" with your shooting hand thumb.

Jim Watson
September 2, 2010, 07:10 PM
I have experienced premature slide lock with an extended slide stop.
Did it bounce or was it nudged?
I don't know but I did not leave it in place to study the problem, I just went back to standard.

Harvey
September 4, 2010, 01:38 PM
Technically called the slide stop, I would rather call it the slide release, because that's what you use it for.

I have rather smallish hands and wouldn't be without the extended slide release. All of this talk about malfunctions is pure baloney, and using the off-hand thumb to engage the slide release is bad medicine.

Been shooting competitive IPSC for years using extended safety, extended mag release AND a matching slide release ... couldn't ask for more confident and quick mag changes.

So, if you have any difficulty at all reaching the OEM slide release with your shooting-hand thumb without changing grip for even an instant, by all means get an extended release. You'll be glad you did.

Please click on the attachments below to have a look at a purdy gun.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=121504&d=1274365427
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=124648&d=1279908516

TexasGunbie
September 4, 2010, 01:51 PM
I usually use the slide release on my guns except when I am using my 1911.

My hands are quite big since I am 6'1, but even I have trouble reaching the slide stop once in a while. I said once in a while because sometimes when I draw from holster, my grip is not consistent, and so my thumb can sometimes be too far away. :banghead:

Try to rack the slide back, I really believe it's more reliable that way. The time it takes you to push the slide stop with your thumb and fuzz around with it, you could have pulled the slide back with your other hand already.

And somewhere in me is always afraid that the slide stop with snap off because it's sooo skinny. :)

mljdeckard
September 4, 2010, 02:20 PM
I have tried them, they are surprisingly intrusive in your handling, and I have had both unintended lock-opens AND premature releases because of it. (Go ahead, laugh all you want. I'm SURE it was the reason for the premature release.)

And Harvey, it appears that you are in the minority opinion about releasing it with the left hand.

Old Shooter
September 4, 2010, 02:29 PM
I used one for a while on one of my 1911's, mayby 15-20 years ago. It seemed to work ok, I don't recall ever having any issues with it. That said, I wasn't impressed enough with it to bother installing one on any of the 1911's I've had since.

If you feel like trying it out...go for it.

I'd watch for issues that some of the other posters mentioned and if it becomes a concern it only takes a moment to put the other one back in.

9mmepiphany
September 4, 2010, 02:29 PM
Technically called the slide stop, I would rather call it the slide release, because that's what you use it for.

Been shooting competitive IPSC for years using extended safety, extended mag release AND a matching slide release ... couldn't ask for more confident and quick mag changes.

That would only perpetuate the mis-belief of it's intended use. It was named a slide stop because it's purpose is to lock the slide back when it is actuated by either the mag follower or your thumb.

While using the slide stop to release a locked back slide on a 1911 may work for many people, releasing the slide with the overhand method is more universal when you use more than one platform...especially one you are not familiar with.

The Bushmaster
September 4, 2010, 02:36 PM
Wow!! All these opinions and most are bad...Well...I've had a Wilson extended slide stop on my Colt 1911 for the last 10 years. Love it!! And have had NO problems whatso ever.

mljdeckard
September 4, 2010, 03:06 PM
So, different than yours means.....bad?

Full Metal Jacket
September 4, 2010, 05:21 PM
i slingshot all my guns whether they're 1911's or glocks. an extended slide stop only increases the chances of locking open the slide prematurely with a high grip. no thanks.

that's what you use it for.

If you enjoyed reading about "Extended Slide Release on 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!