would you sell 2 guns to buy one?

PDA

jeepguy
September 2, 2010, 08:57 PM
would it be worth it to sell 2 good handguns to buy a ed brown special forces carry? the two handguns i would sell are 1. s&w 1911 pd 5" no rail. 2. kimber ss pro carry .45 w night sights & pay the differnce in cash. i have been kicking this around lately even though i love my kimber & am verry happy with my s&w. both mine are alloy framed, i like the idea of all stainless,4.25", plus all the other upgrades. i would still have a cz 82,beretta 92fs,kimber pro carry 9mm, & sig p226 .40. the ed brown sf carry seems like the 1911 perfected, is it that much better? thanks for the help

If you enjoyed reading about "would you sell 2 guns to buy one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shipwreck
September 2, 2010, 09:14 PM
Yes - I sold a MC Operator to pay for 1/2 of a Special Forces in 2009.

I also sold FOUR guns (PX4, FN Five Seven and two others I forget) in 2008 to buy a custom shop springfield.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/1911-group98.jpg

To get a super nice 1911 - if you don't just have the cash laying around - do what you gotta do. You will NOT regret the Ed Brown :)

The Lone Haranguer
September 2, 2010, 09:22 PM
I did once, but the gun I bought turned out to be a POS. :banghead:

DRYHUMOR
September 2, 2010, 09:37 PM
Probably be a good deal. You may want to handle/shoot the/a Brown before going to the point of no return though.

REAPER4206969
September 2, 2010, 09:40 PM
No.

Prion
September 2, 2010, 09:41 PM
Yes.

G27RR
September 2, 2010, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't sell two I loved, but I am contemplating selling a couple I don't use much to get an STI 2011. I love their 1911s and a 2011 seems like a good HD choice due to the extra capacity and otherwise identical operation. I've handled a few in a local shop and really want one. So yes, I would sell two for one if I expect to love the new one and not miss the old one.

bdb benzino
September 2, 2010, 10:21 PM
Sell them locally and not trade, you lose too much money that way.

Good luck!

benderx4
September 2, 2010, 10:41 PM
Absolutely - sounds like you won't be truly happy until you have what you really want - an Ed Brown.

I sold 3 "lesser" guns, 2 CZs and a Sig, to finance my Springer Custom, and I've never been happier.

Shipwreck
September 2, 2010, 10:43 PM
Probably be a good deal. You may want to handle/shoot the/a Brown before going to the point of no return though.

I did get to hold some Nighthawks, Browns and others before I made up my mind...

Wishoot
September 2, 2010, 10:46 PM
I would in a heartbeat if they were guns I don't use or don't really care for.

Arkansas Paul
September 2, 2010, 10:47 PM
Most of the time, no. But for an Ed Brown, yes. I don't own a lot of expensive guns. I would sell any three of them for an Ed Brown. I'm partial to the Executive Carry though. Oooohhhhh man. Just thinking about them makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

WC145
September 2, 2010, 11:18 PM
Sure, just bought a Fusion CCO, sold two guns to replenish the savings account for the cost of the Fusion, plus a few hundred extra. One I hadn't shot, didn't need, and made money on, the other is easily replaced because they're common. In exchange I bought a custom gun for less than half what the original owner had into it.

Runningman
September 3, 2010, 12:18 AM
Let me ask you this. Would you actually shoot it often?

I ask because it seems like some people that buy high end 1911 never seem to shoot them much. Because they want to keep the miles down and are worried about getting a scratch on them. End up as safe queens.

MICHAEL T
September 3, 2010, 01:35 AM
Yes if you going to use and carry. No, if like the man say its going to be a safe queen.

Ky Larry
September 3, 2010, 01:45 AM
Yes. Get what you like and will shoot. I cleaned out my gun safe a few years ago. Got rid of a lot of good guns I didn't shoot and bought a few that I really like and shoot a lot more often. Quality beats quantity for me. Good luck.

Jimmy10mm
September 3, 2010, 02:01 AM
Been there and done that, not for an Ed Brown though. Like some of the other gentlemen who posted, if I wasn't in love with some I had and didn't use them I could see selling them for my latest crave. OTOH, I wouldn't trade them in to a dealer and practically give them away.

Full Metal Jacket
September 3, 2010, 02:55 AM
yes. sold two m&p's to fund this:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/champop1911/Pic4145010.jpg

wideym
September 3, 2010, 03:55 AM
If you already like the pistols you might trade, then keep them and save up for Ed Brown. You will regret selling them later no matter how much you lust after a new pistol.

Full Metal Jacket
September 3, 2010, 04:10 AM
^^that's true. the only reason i sold both my m&p's was that i just wasn't crazy about them. i couldn't shoot either one very accurately, and couldn't get used to their odd grip either no matter what backstrap i used.

JTQ
September 3, 2010, 08:32 AM
two handguns i would sell are 1. s&w 1911 pd 5" no rail. 2. kimber ss pro carry .45 w night sights
S&W no longer makes that pistol, so if you like it at all, you may regret getting rid of it when you find it nearly impossible to replace.

I'd expect the Kimber and EB Special Forces will be available for the foreseeable future.

Ala Dan
September 3, 2010, 09:19 AM
I couldn't [and wouldn't] do it; especially if I loved the Kimber and S&W~! :D

ExLipscombChief
September 3, 2010, 10:45 AM
Ummmmm, no, nope. Go put a new Gold Cup in layaway if you want a high dollar. If you are after just something reliable, the Remington.

sxshep
September 3, 2010, 11:00 AM
I sold a Keltec P3AT and a Mosin Nagant M44 to buy a Sig Pro SP2022.... Two days later, sold a Kimber Custom II and a S&W M&P9c to buy my current carry gun, Kahr PM9 with Crimson Trace and 4 holsters

Hopefully I can buy back the M&P9c when I get the money (sold it to my brother-in-law), but I don't miss the other three guns. In all reality, I didn't need 3 different handguns when I can use two to serve the roles of carry gun, range gun, home defense gun, truck gun, etc etc

tuckerdog1
September 3, 2010, 04:06 PM
I think you've already decided.

I traded an unfired early S&W 29 with the presentation box ( man that was a beautiful gun ), and an early Glock 17 with two STANDARD capacity mags, during the 10 round max years + a few hundred dollars to get a Freedom Arms Premiere Grade 353.

Quality costs, and if ya want, ya gotta pay.

Enjoy your new gun:D

Tuckerdog1

Orion8472
September 3, 2010, 04:46 PM
If it is worth more to you than the other two guns, then do it. Those other guns can be purchased later on IF you start missing them.

Vitrophyre
September 3, 2010, 05:38 PM
Quality, not quantity!

Jim PHL
September 3, 2010, 07:14 PM
I often consider doing the same thing. When I take out the guns I think I would trade/sell, I can't bring myself to "pull the triiger" on getting rid of them. (If I did ever do it, a high-end 1911 is the only thing I would do it for. Everything else I kind of want is more attainable by saving and keeping what I have.)

You ARE basically trading 2 1911's for a 1911 thats twice as good as either of them....(just trying to help you justify.)

Sauer Grapes
September 3, 2010, 07:24 PM
Make sure you really have to have the EB. I sold 2 shotguns and a rifle to buy one Browning O\U. The one shotgun was the first one I ever bought when I turned 18. I never shot more than 500 rounds thru it in 30+ years, but I kinda wish I had kept it.

jeepguy
September 3, 2010, 07:49 PM
you guys all make some great points. to answear some of your questons i carry & shoot the kimber often & yes love it. the smith even though i like it i dont shoot it any more. i really like the commander size 1911's. would replace my carry with the ed brown & the smith just sits now. i did hold an ed brown once it felt great. i doubt i will get to shoot one as i dont know anyone who has one. thank you for all your responses. the ed brown is slightly heavier but not unreasonable. im still thinking this one over i let you guys know if i decide to get it.

WillDe83
September 4, 2010, 12:08 AM
sold two guns to fund this one

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt30/enrons/P9030394.jpg

and I am about to sell two more to fund a HK P30

September 4, 2010, 01:50 AM
i love my kimber .... i like the idea of all stainless,4.25", plus all the other upgrades.

What would a $2,500 Ed Brown Special Forces Carry do for you that a $1,350 Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II wouldn't? I mention that particular Kimber model because it has a 4" barrel, it's all stainless and it weighs the same as the Ed Brown Carry. I don't doubt that the Ed Brown is a superb 1911 (and I would certainly like to own one) but $1,150 difference in cost is quite a bit ... enough for another decent pistol or a whole bunch of accessories such as Wilson Combat magazines.

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/pistols/kimber/photos/kimber_pro_raptor_ii.jpghttp://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/pistols/1911/ed_brown_sf_carry.jpg

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "would you sell 2 guns to buy one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!