Scope turret in the way

PDA

TRGFTJob
September 3, 2010, 12:19 PM
I just finished mounting a scope on my new rifle, but without raised mounts the ejecting shells with the scope turret, my thought was to simply turn the scope so that the elevation adjustment was on the left hand side (instead of top) and the windage adjustment was on the top (instead of the right hand side). My question is whether or not turning the scope "sideways" could cause on internal damage to the scope while shooting?

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope turret in the way" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TRGFTJob
September 3, 2010, 12:22 PM
accidenally posted this in the wrong section, any way to move it? or delete it?

rcmodel
September 3, 2010, 12:28 PM
You can turn it, but both adjustments will work wrong.

The Elevation would become Windage, and the Windage would become Elevation, only it would work bass ackwards from the markings on the dials.

rc

TRGFTJob
September 3, 2010, 12:34 PM
but it would still function properly, other than the controls being backwards?

rbernie
September 3, 2010, 12:35 PM
It will not hurt the scope. As rcmodel pointed out, the adjustments will be different.

TRGFTJob
September 3, 2010, 12:39 PM
alright, thanks for the help guys, and sorry for posting in the wrong place

Jim Watson
September 3, 2010, 01:50 PM
It will work fine, I am going to put a new scope on my Remington 788 at 90 degrees ccw. It is for a friend to hunt with after her rifle was stolen.

If you don't roll the scope on a 788, it is highly likely to bounce empties off the turret and back into the action. I was frantic over it and could not see anything wrong with the extractor or ejector; but then learned of that little habit.

mbogo
September 3, 2010, 05:20 PM
What rifle/scope combination is this? You may be able to change ring height or style and avoid this problem.

mbogo

TRGFTJob
September 3, 2010, 09:04 PM
its a weatherby vangaurd, with a bushnell elite 10x 3200 on millet weaver style base/rings, i suspect raised scope rings would help, but the scopes height is right where i want it, so i think ill just turn it, and learn to remember the adjustments are different

greyling22
September 3, 2010, 10:16 PM
maybe leave yourself a note under the caps.

mbogo
September 4, 2010, 08:13 AM
Does the scope have target turrets?

mbogo

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope turret in the way" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!