EO Tech clone

PDA

General Tso
September 3, 2010, 11:33 PM
Anyone ever tried any of the EO Tech clones? They are around $100. I was thinking of getting one.

If you enjoyed reading about "EO Tech clone" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
crazyivan
September 3, 2010, 11:47 PM
A EO Tech clone? Do you mean a counterfit? Are you talking about a Bushnell Holosight or something like that?
At the Eo Tech website they talk about the cheap counterfits watch out for those.

hso
September 3, 2010, 11:50 PM
Be very careful and accept that you get what you pay for.

A plinker red dot doesn't have to be as robust as one that has to survive weeks in the field or in combat so you don't need to pay the robust price, but at the very least the thing should be stable enough to make a trip to the range a pleasure instead of endless frustration.

To that end, the Bushnell holosight has gotten good value for the money reviews, but the price is well above your $110 target.

General Tso
September 4, 2010, 12:06 AM
http://rrages.com/sight/552clone/index.htm
This is what I'm talking about.

hso
September 4, 2010, 12:10 AM
Why the Eotech style instead of other holosights or red dots?

General Tso
September 4, 2010, 12:12 AM
Looks and use of AAA batteries.

Sky
September 4, 2010, 01:17 AM
This sight is ideal for use on your tactical carbine for plinking or general non duty use. I offer a 100% money back guarantee (including your return shipping cost) if you are not satisfied.

If I didn't have some extra optics (not enough rifles) I certainly would pop for one if for no other reason than their stated review!

If you get one please write a review..Like you I like the AAA battery power.

otblue
September 4, 2010, 07:16 AM
As far as I can tell, all these "clones" are dressed up red dot sights. They do not appear to be "holographic". despite some of them actually calling themselves "holographic sights'.

Only the genuine Eotech and the Bushnell Holosight are true laser holographic sights (to the best of my knowledge) with all the advantages that entails.

People seem to buy the clones for the cool look rather than actual performance.

A brand name red dot scope with proven reliability won't be much more than your budget, just won't look as cool on an airsoft.

hso
September 4, 2010, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't be wedded to the "look" at $100. As otblue says many of these Eotech "clones" are not actually clones because they don't use the holographic system. A clone is a copy in all functional ways. A knockoff is like finding out "dude looks like a lady" after paying for a show, drinks and dinner.;) The Bushnell clone is a real holographic sight. There may be others out there, but I've not seen any. Anything that has a color changing "reticle" would make me suspicious. You also don't want to be seen a poseur using something marked to deceive.

Make sure you're getting a real holographic sight instead of just a red dot. If all you can't afford a holographic sight then don't waste your money on appearances when you're buying it for function. Get a reasonable quality red dot and enjoy using it on your rifle instead of cursing something that looks good but doesn't work properly. The folks at http://www.primaryarms.com/category.sc?categoryId=128 get good reviews for their budget red dots and they don't mark them to mislead.

Check the reviews of the website you're looking to buy from and be sure that the customer service is reliable. Taking their word for it alone isn't smart shopping.

If you do decide to go this route look at airsoft sites for reviews of knockoffs. http://www.ebairsoft.com/fully-adjustable-ghost-scope-foldable-cover-p-2045.html looks to be carrying something that looks just like the rrages knockoff for half the price.

wally
September 6, 2010, 08:50 PM
I've seen these at gun shows and they are not holographic at all -- they are just an over-priced poor quality red dot sight. I say poor quality because the circle becomes a distorted ellipse when not perfectly centered in the field of view and parallax is obvious if you move your eye point with the dot lined up with a distant object.

A good cheap yet serviceable red dot is the Sightmark Aimpoint look-a-like for ~$80 its quite good for the price, but not as good as the ~$150 Vortex Strikefire or ~$90 Barska M16 Electrosight. The Barska would be my favorite cheap red dot except its a bit too tall and will give only a lower third co-witness on an AR15, although it is of good enough quality that this does work well with the low co-witness, it would also be better if it used a more common battery.

If you can find one that doesn't distort the circle as you move your eye point or have obvious parallax it might be OK, but I've looked at a lot of these at various gun show and none so far have been acceptable.

crazyivan
September 6, 2010, 09:39 PM
If you want a low priced non-duty but ok sight look at the BSA huntsman(I think thats what its called) I got one for $35 last year and has stood up to 500 rounds from a AK. Only problem is it takes a button battery and the dot is 4MOA I think so not the best over 100yds.

General Tso
September 7, 2010, 12:09 AM
I guess no one can make an affordable red dot that uses standard AA or AAA batteries. I hate these darn flat batteries! I'm simply not paying $400 for an EO Tech. I'm not using it in battle.

lions
September 7, 2010, 12:35 AM
I'll second hso's recommendation of Primary Arms. I've had good luck with this Aimpoint knockoff. (http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=35&categoryId=128) I know you asked about EOTech but this one does take one AA battery. Worth a look at least. Good luck.

General Tso
September 7, 2010, 01:07 AM
Thanks all. I'll check out primary arms.

Muttt
September 10, 2010, 03:24 PM
Vortex Strikefire is about the best red dot out there for the price. You can pick one up for about 125.00 and it's about the only red dot that I would even put into the Eotech or Aimpoint category.

www.vortexoptics.com

nalioth
September 10, 2010, 03:51 PM
The Bushnell Holosight is not a clone.

Bushnell owns Eotech (or the other way around) and it's the same item with a different rollmark.

Much like the Beretta 1201FP is the same shotgun as the Benelli M1 (Beretta owns Benelli and sells the Beretta-badged M1 in it's LEO line).

otblue
September 10, 2010, 07:26 PM
Neither company is or has been owned by the other.

Bushnell Holosights were and I think still are made by Eotech. Bushnell is not now a manufacturer of anything optical. It buys products made to its specs.

hso
September 10, 2010, 09:32 PM
otblue is correct, Eotech makes a product for Bushnell for Bushnell to sell under their brand. Neither company owns the other.

nalioth
September 10, 2010, 09:35 PM
Point being: the Bushnell isn't a clone.

jeepguy
September 11, 2010, 04:43 PM
thanks hso those do look nice, may have to give them a try.

texas chase
September 13, 2010, 01:20 PM
I've got a Bushnell Holosight and have really enjoyed it. the guys are right. Its an Eotech (made by Eotech) w/o the hood. I'm actually thinking of selling mine for 1-4 x 20 scope. I'll let it go for $200 + shipping. PM if interested.

junk250
September 14, 2010, 12:47 AM
I've been looking at cheap red dots, found an eotech copy for 37.00, actually looks like a decent deal for the money.

I haven't bought it yet, but thinking about it.

Not a real holo, but looks better than other cheap red dots in that price range.

Check deal extreme for the sight, under lasers/access.

(I'm not sure if it is OK to link the sale page)

frankge
September 20, 2010, 10:00 PM
I have the Sightmark Aimpoint knock-off on my AK and so far has held up for a good while. Only complaint is that the lense cover pins works themselves out due to recoil.

If you enjoyed reading about "EO Tech clone" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!