What's the Name of that 1911 Conversion?

PDA

bluetopper
September 5, 2010, 01:31 AM
For the life of me I can't recall the name of that 1911 conversion that uses your existing frame and they sell the top half of the gun. It has the barrel built in to the slide. Supposed to be super accurate.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the Name of that 1911 Conversion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ugaarguy
September 5, 2010, 01:38 AM
Well, Colt sold .22 conversions for a number of years. Without Googling "1911 .22 conversions", I can tell you off the top of my head that Tactical Solutions, Kimber, and Ceiner all currently offer them. I'm sure there are others.

PT1911
September 5, 2010, 01:49 AM
I have one of the Kimber variety and LOVE IT!!!

bannockburn
September 5, 2010, 01:52 AM
Are you maybe thinking of Marvel Precision Arms .22 conversion for the M1911?

bluetopper
September 5, 2010, 02:00 AM
No, it's not a .22 conversion.

It's a whole new concept in the way the 1911 works. Still 45acp.

bluetopper
September 5, 2010, 09:30 AM
Right when I opened my eyes this morning I thought of it.:)

The Avenger System

www.getgrip.com/main/whatsnew/avenger.html

EddieNFL
September 5, 2010, 10:05 AM
The Avenger is not gas operated and in comparison installs easily on the frame...

I've never seen a gas operated 1911.

...and doesn't suffer from gas operated fouling problems,...

Where does the gas go? I wonder if the breech remains locked until the bullet exits the muzzle. That would be an accomplishment.

...in fact, the Avenger even works well with lead bullets.

That typically means, "it works."

At a very attractive price the Avenger allows a shooter to economically convert any existing 1911 style frame to a match ready race gun.

I wonder what that "attractive price" will be.

I must admit, I'm curious. It appears to be a division of Hogue, a company with a good reputation. The switch above the slide release has me thinking take down lever.

Magnumite
September 5, 2010, 10:09 AM
Blocky, all range or game gun...open class, of course. It will be heavy, I'd bet its a blow back action. Looks too much like a High Point and bet it costs way more.

Does look futuristic, though.

bluetopper
September 5, 2010, 10:37 AM
If I had an extra $1,395.00 laying around I'd get it.:)

Jim Watson
September 5, 2010, 11:52 AM
Hogue has cataloged it for years, if they actually are making them now, it may move from vaporware to a niche product for the shooter who has everything.

bannockburn
September 5, 2010, 11:55 AM
Wow, just read through the Avenger's manual and have got to say, this thing looks way more complicated (and with far too many little internal parts), for me to spend that kind of money on. Definitely not the KISS Principle at work here.

The whole assembly/disassembly routine, along with having to use their own special tools (the VST-Very Special Tool, the APT-Avenger Pin Tool, and a flathead screwdriver), including several warnings that various parts and tiny springs MAY FLY OUT while disassembling, would give me some cause for concern. The whole thing reminds me of a Benelli B-76 I once owned. Nice gun but over-engineered in its design.

Chuck Perry
September 5, 2010, 01:55 PM
Looks like a Hi Point conversion!

There was a company called NCG that offered 1911 gas operated top ends. Google search turned up nada, so I'm assuming they're gone.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the Name of that 1911 Conversion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!