Browning Buck Mark viable for hunting small game?

PDA

Lvl21nerd
September 5, 2010, 12:43 PM
this is all hypothetical but lets say i am looking to bag a rabbit, at maybe 40-50 yards...and we'll say im using CCI Mini Mags

would it be stupid to use it in such a manner? or is that a perfectly viable option?

should i instead look at a Ruger 10/22? (i know, not the rifle forum)

i ask because i like shooting pistols quite a bit more than rifles, but i want a 22 that could be more than just a plinker

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Buck Mark viable for hunting small game?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasGunbie
September 5, 2010, 12:48 PM
Do it with the buckmark, it's more fun that way. I once asked the same question before, everyone said it's fine, but you will have more chance with the 10/22.

Now if you like pistol more than rifle, then you should just get the buckmark.

Tommygunn
September 5, 2010, 12:49 PM
If you like the challenge go for it. The gun is able. For myself, at that range I'd prefer a rifle but that's me. I have a Buck Mark and it's a great pistol.

wow6599
September 5, 2010, 01:15 PM
I hunt squirrels with a Ruger MKI (Standard), but most shots are 20 yards or less. If if the gun shoots true it's all up to your ability. 50 yard shots at rabbits using a pistol......I would probably miss a lot more than I would bag.

buck460XVR
September 5, 2010, 02:17 PM
The Buck Mark is definitely up to it if you are.

jimmyraythomason
September 5, 2010, 02:42 PM
The Buck Mark is definitely up to it if you are.
Yep,I agree!

Stumper
September 5, 2010, 07:05 PM
Ditto. The typical Buckmark has the accuracy. My buddy put a dot sight and a 10 inch barrel on his Ruger Mark II and pops prairie dogs out to 100yards with it. I've done a good bit of squirrel hunting with .22 handguns and open sights........but the ranges are usually fairly short.

Wade Wilson
September 6, 2010, 05:18 AM
I have both, and you cant go wrong with either one. I have killed ground squirrels with both, if you are talented enough it is more then possible to take kills with a buckmark at that range.

It is also pretty amazing what you can do with a 10/22, those rifles are very accurate with some modifications, but a stock 10/22 will do the job easily at that range. Just depends on what kind of challenge you want.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Buck Mark viable for hunting small game?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!