who posted the thread on the cell phone lighting off a glock in a car?

PDA

willyjixx
December 12, 2003, 03:00 AM
within the last 6 months there was a thread on this.

a guy went in to a business an put his cell phone on his glock pistol under the seat of his auto an when he came back the car was full of smoke. apparently the cell set it off??

anyone remember or can they direct nme to a link of this?

If you enjoyed reading about "who posted the thread on the cell phone lighting off a glock in a car?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
threeseven
December 12, 2003, 03:51 AM
For a second I was baffled by this. I assume that it's suggested the heat of the cell phone battery cooked off a round in the Glock? That sounds like the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. I would love to see this article.

Azrael256
December 12, 2003, 04:06 AM
I kinda feel that way when my cellphone rings.

mete
December 12, 2003, 05:52 AM
Most likely the cell phone shorted and burned but I would think that the frame of the glock would have to burn before a round was 'cooked off'.

cool45auto
December 12, 2003, 07:02 AM
I remember that, but I think the phone was in the glove box with the Glock and the battery contacts on the phone shorted on something and caught fire and the fire set off a few rounds in the Glock's magazine. IIRC there were some pics of the gun with the grip busted open and melted.

Ironman
December 12, 2003, 09:16 AM
cell phones can give off large static amounts, thats why it says to turn it off or leave it in your car at a gas station. But jesus that phone would have to have one hell of a shock to set off a shell.

shermacman
December 12, 2003, 09:30 AM
I don't remember the article so I am going to speak out of total ignorance...which has never stopped me before. But I doubt the story. I doesn't make any sense. There is no way a cell phone could put out enough heat to cook off a round without burning up the car along with it. Static electricity??? I don't know about you but the battery in my cell phone won't last for an entire conversation much less generating enough juice to spark off a round buried in a plastic magazine surronded by plastic grips. I smell negligent discharge.
Just my opinionated, uniformed ignorance.:scrutiny:

starfuryzeta
December 12, 2003, 09:35 AM
Was this the link?

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/alex.html

or this one?

http://www.sierrafirearms.com/whatsnew.htm

SapperLeader
December 12, 2003, 09:44 AM
I remain a little sceptical, My brother ran over my cell phone with a lawn mower, causing the battery to be ruptered, releasing a lot of heat(long story on why the cell phone was in the yard :( ). This happened over a wood deck, with lots of grass covering it. While the battery heated up immensly, it didnt even scorch or damage the grass or the wood deck. Now im supposed to believe that the same battery can melt polymer grips, heat up a steel magazine, and cause a round to go off? Ill save final judgement until i can research this a little more.

Amish_Bill
December 12, 2003, 09:59 AM
There have been a rash of Nokia phones having their battery packs melt/explode recently. So far, I believe they've all been traced back to substandard, counterfeit batteries.

Don't underestimate the amount of heat a new high-cap Lithium Ion battery can generate if it fails... Those little buggers can be mean!

Mal H
December 12, 2003, 10:30 AM
Absolutely right Amish_Bill. A shorted battery can be a real heat generator. I was carrying a 1.5 V AA Alkaline battery in my pocket about a year ago. It apparently was shorted out by my keys (the odds of that happening are high, but it happened). I thought my leg was on fire. I got it out as fast as possible; the battery and the key ring were extremely hot. And an alkaline battery doesn't have anywhere near the ampacity of a Li or NiMH battery - common batteries for cell phones. The heat which [might have] cooked off a round would have to come from the misuse or poor storage of the battery in the glove compartment. The cell phone itself, even if left on, under normal circumstances couldn't do it.

sturmruger
December 12, 2003, 10:35 AM
I have been selling Wireless phones since 1996 I have yet to see any phone have a battery rupture. I don't doubt that it coud happen, but I have never seen one. Something about this story doesn't sounds right. Your typical cellular phone battery is usually like 4.5 volts. I can't imagine how it would get hot enough to stat papers and other items in the glove box to burn. I would be interested to hear what model of phone we are talking about.

JimJD
December 12, 2003, 02:21 PM
This reminds me of the "Cell phone/ Gas station fire" urban myth.
That show "Mythbusters" did a piece on it.
It was found that mobile phones do not start or cause gas pump fires. they did find in one example, that static charge build-up can happen when one gets in and out of a car, rubbing against the seat, and immediately touching the gas port area while pumping gas.
If one had touched another part of the car first to discharge themselves, it would not have happened.
They even had a Fire Fighter training video showing it.
Anyone else see that episode?

raz-0
December 12, 2003, 02:23 PM
actually, veracity of the story aside, I believe reasonably recently there was a batch of knock of nokia replacement batteries that would indeed do the bursting/shorting battery thing when used. Nokia caught some legal flack about it and has started putting exploding battery warnings all over the place.

the offical party line
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C2158/

the tion foil hat crowd
http://www.kottke.org/03/10/nokia-phones-exploding

Make of it what you will.

JimJD
December 12, 2003, 02:36 PM
Yup, the Nokia battery thing did happen as mentioned above.
I thought it was due to "knockoff" batteries being sold on the Asian market.

killermarmot
December 12, 2003, 03:40 PM
But even if it did melt through that plastic and the mag what kinds of temperatures are we talkinga bout her to set a round off, and can a shorted or mafunctioning battery mainaint that kind of heat for very long? Somethin seems off about this story. :scrutiny:

Azrael256
December 12, 2003, 07:16 PM
D-cell and a paperclip. Try it sometime. It gets red hot and will burn paper (although it won't actually flare up).

rayra
December 12, 2003, 07:31 PM
Dropped a fresh 9-volt in my front upper coat pocket one day, on top of my keychain (intended to swap in car garage opener). Forgot about it while chit-chatting with the missus. 10mins later in a store, I feel quite warm, burn hand / fingers while reaching into pocket to fling near-red-hot contents onto the floor.

Seems plausible. (but that's how all urban legends get their start, no?)

Roadkill Coyote
December 12, 2003, 07:55 PM
Judging by the photos in starfuryzeta's link, it would appear the the gun was stored in a nylon holster with foam padding. Depending upon the age of the holster, and the cleaning habits of the owner, the nylon and foam may have contained an unknown amount of gun oil. Combine that with the battery warning, and I could see it happening. But it wouldn't appear to be a Glock issue, but rather a cheesy knock-off cell battery issue.

carpettbaggerr
December 13, 2003, 11:38 PM
-cell and a paperclip. Try it sometime. It gets red hot and will burn paper (although it won't actually flare up)
2 D cells and steel wool makes a good firestarter. The steel wool flares up as soon as you touch the terminals.

BluesBear
December 14, 2003, 01:54 AM
It's not the voltage it's the amperage.

Short the contacts on a cell phone battery as it rapidly discharges there will be quite a bit of heat as whatever is shorting it absorbs the energy.

Take two 9v batteries and snap them together. Lay them down and stand back.

Or take the battery out of your Sure-Fire and wrap in inside a Brillo Pad.

JohnKSa
December 14, 2003, 09:20 PM
There is no question that batteries can get very hot.

The question is could they get hot enough to melt through plastic grips and a plastic magazine and then set off a round or two without starting the whole car on fire?

Not likely.

If heat set off rounds that easily, you'd never be able to leave a round chambered after rapid fire. You'd hear about cookoffs every day. I've seen rifles fired rapidly until the forearms caught fire and still no rounds were cooking off.

Now, if the battery caught the car on fire would the Glock melt and would rounds go off? Yes, but that would happen with any gun. In fact, a metal gun would transfer heat much more efficiently to the rounds in the magazine resulting in a faster cookoff than you would get from a polymer pistol. Plastics tend to be good insulators.

Ed Brunner
December 14, 2003, 09:53 PM
You have entirely too much time on your hands.:) :)

BluesBear
December 14, 2003, 10:39 PM
A local guy has a Glock and his cell phone in the glove compartment of his truck. Somehow the cell phone caught fire!... Some papers and other junk gladly joined the cell phone... but luckily the guy had his Glock stashed there, too. The holster caught fire, heated the magazine and the magazine exploded!

John, the article linked to in a previous post would lead one to surmise that the usuall assortment of papers and other glove box items caugh fire first.

That could generate enough heat to melt a frame and cook off a few.

JohnKSa
December 14, 2003, 11:41 PM
I guess what I'm getting at is that the brand of the pistol had about as much bearing on the story as the make and model of the car.

If there was anything useful to be learned about this situation, it would have been what kind of cell phone and cell phone battery was involved as it would seem that one or the other would have to be defective to cause a fire. That information seems to be missing from both links.

Furthermore, both articles seem to give the idea that the rounds in the Glock were set off by the cell phone which is ludicrous. However, as pointed out, any battery has the capability to start a fire which can then cook off rounds.

The notion that cell phones cause fires while operating normally is incorrect. While it's theoretically possible, to my knowledge there have been no documented instances of a normally operating cell phone starting a fire--not even at the gas pump. Snopes has a good writeup on cell phones and gas stations.

If you enjoyed reading about "who posted the thread on the cell phone lighting off a glock in a car?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!