Good replacement stock for 700 SPS

PDA

momchenr
September 5, 2010, 10:19 PM
I've got a stock Remington 700 SPS (normal barrel) in .308... I like it, but I've read that the stock sucks. It's pretty light, and cheap - and I'd prefer something that was "floated" or "bedded." I don't know if it'll really make a difference because my skill level isn't good enough to outshoot the rifle, but would a $250 stock make a significant difference for this gun? If so, what is generally recommended, in terms of brands / models? I think the McMillans are a little out of my budget. If it's worth swapping out for something better, how hard is it to install a new stock? I've read that I have to tighten the stock's screws perfectly or I'll mess with the POA, or something. I don't know if this is making any sense - but I want to squeeze some accuracy out of this gun. I've already got a handload that works well, now I'm thinking about other options.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good replacement stock for 700 SPS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
h20fowl
September 6, 2010, 02:09 AM
Take a look at HS Precision. They are available through Midway and Cabelas as well as other retailers. I just put one on my 700 SPS in 300 wsm it made a noticeable improvement in group size and helped tame the recoil. At about $320 the sporting stock is slightly above your $250 price point but its well worth it.

velocette
September 6, 2010, 08:39 AM
Take yourself to Richards Microfit Gunstocks <http://www.rifle-stocks.com/sporter_hunting_styles.htm>
Prices are in your range and some nice wood is available. You can have them finish it or do it yourself.

Roger

Harold Mayo
September 7, 2010, 08:00 AM
www.stockysstocks.com

WPG
September 10, 2010, 11:39 AM
Bell and Carlson makes a nice stock. We have had good luck using them.

http://bellandcarlson.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "Good replacement stock for 700 SPS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!